The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League

Check Kyrie's ESPN game logs. Its 7-12
1680440268392.gif

You are wrong. You are getting 12 using that game log because it includes the All-Star Game >D

4-10 w/ Kyrie + Luka
3-1 w/ Kyrie only

And I’m not even a Kyrie truther, just making sure we are keeping it a buck about the situation. He is not the sole problem here if we are evaluating purely on record since he joined the team.

I miss Kevin Heurter. He was the other sniper we needed to compliment Bogey.

1680440268392.gif

You are wrong. You are getting 12 using that game log because it includes the All-Star Game >D

4-10 w/ Kyrie + Luka
3-1 w/ Kyrie only

And I’m not even a Kyrie truther, just making sure we are keeping it a buck about the situation. He is not the sole problem here if we are evaluating purely on record since he joined the team.
They don’t play defense. We already knew this. Mavs are the west coast version of the Hawks, all offense no defense.

They traded their 2nd best scorer/decent defensive guard + best defensive wing for a purely offensive player, man. This was never going to work out :lol: They needed to make moves for a defensive big, wing depth (preferably defensive if giving up DFS) and a supplemental playmaker (since Dinwiddie likely would have been moved in these deals).

Mavs fans in here and on every social platform have been calling for a defensive big since like 2021. Then they go and trade Dinwiddie and DFS for Kyrie while retaining Wood. Idk what the FO is seeing that the rest of the world isn’t

1680440268392.gif

4-10 w/ Kyrie + Luka
3-1 w/ Kyrie only

Youre right. 7-11 it is

They traded their 2nd best scorer/decent defensive guard + best defensive wing for a purely offensive player, man. This was never going to work out :lol: They needed to make moves for a defensive big, wing depth (preferably defensive if giving up DFS) and a supplemental playmaker (since Dinwiddie likely would have been moved in these deals).

Mavs fans in here and on every social platform have been calling for a defensive big since like 2021. Then they go and trade Dinwiddie and DFS for Kyrie while retaining Wood. Idk what the FO is seeing that the rest of the world isn’t
Losing DFS hurt, but it seems like him and Bullock slipped on defense this season too.

Positionless in the sense that there are guards, wings and bigs. Just because the Raptors have a bunch of guys that don’t do any of the things well enough doesn’t change that :lol:. There’s just no point in labels with the traditional positions that we grew up labeling guys is all it means.

...the all NBA teams are already labeled that way? Guards Forwards and Centers.

seems to me it is already perfectly set up for the current way positions work.

People must not know how to read.

The in season tournament counts towards your regular season record.

So it’s just a set of more meaningful regular season games.

People just love to complain

...the all NBA teams are already labeled that way? Guards Forwards and Centers.

seems to me it is already perfectly set up for the current way positions work.

Yeah but there are plenty of teams/situations where 4s (forwards) play as 5s (centers) and guards (2s) play as 3s (forwards). Lineups are fluid like that these days, especially in crunch time. This year is the rare example where First Team would have two Centers and it would be well deserved. Yanni, a 4, would be on there too. Tatum, a 3.

Then I’ll let y’all fight over over the 5th and whether it should be Luka, Sabonis, SGA, etc :lol:. Regardless, 2 Forwards and 2 Centers are the best players in basketball so they deserve First Team Honors.

Yeah but there are plenty of teams/situations where 4s (forwards) play as 5s (centers) and guards (2s) play as 3s (forwards). Lineups are fluid like that these days, especially in crunch time. This year is the rare example where First Team would have two Centers and it would be well deserved. Yanni, a 4, would be on there too. Tatum, a 3.

Then I’ll let y’all fight over over the 5th and whether it should be Luka, Sabonis, SGA, etc :lol:. Regardless, 2 Forwards and 2 Centers are the best players in basketball so they deserve First Team Honors.

3-4s are already both forwards.

Sure some guards play as 3's because there team suck and they don't have a real 3.

Sure some teams suck and don't have a real center.

but I don't see why these exceptions mean the positions aren't meaningful.

you can play all sorts of random line up's in the course of an NBA season. but for 82 games, to be good you generally need real G, F's C.

If they just want award the top 15 players in basketball fine I guess

I guess just don't call it an all nba "team"

To some extent it’s a largely semantic argument, but I still think positions exist and are meaningful. What I think has changed is that a player’s position is now dictated as much by talent/ability/skills as it is by size/body type. And, consequently, there’s not as much rigidity in the conceptions of what certain positions are supposed to do and not do.

Last edited:
People must not know how to read.

The in season tournament counts towards your regular season record.

So it’s just a set of more meaningful regular season games.

People just love to complain

I think it could work. A sort of knockout tournament for pride and a little cash would be interesting - and as you say the only extra game would be the final probably, everything else you could work into the schedule - so later in the year you’d have a couple of blank spaces that would only be decided after those games.

People also act like the 82 games is chiselled in stone somewhere or something too. Probably about time to try something new - and then do something about the ASG because that was a travesty.

To some extent it’s a largely semantic argument, but I still thing positions exist and are meaningful. What I think has changed is that a player’s position is now dictated as much by talent/ability/skills as it is by size/body type. And, consequently, there’s not as much rigidity in the conceptions of what certain positions are supposed to do and not do.

This. I don’t take “positionless basketball” to mean everyone can play 1-5. To me it moreso means we are seeing less and less of the traditional 1/2/3/4/5 lineups of the past as I alluded to in my post.

Yes, there are guards, forwards and centers. Yes, those are positions. The argument is simply that First Team should consist of the Top 5 Guards, Forwards and Centers.

Could be all guards, could be all forwards, could be all centers. But it shouldn’t be required that each team is 2 Guards, 2 Fowards and a Center. We off that in 2023.

This. I don’t take “positionless basketball” to mean everyone can play 1-5. To me it moreso means we are seeing less and less of the traditional 1/2/3/4/5 lineups of the past as I alluded to in my post.

Yes, there are guards, forwards and centers. Yes, those are positions. The argument is simply that First Team should consist of the Top 5 Guards, Forwards and Centers.

Could be all guards, could be all forwards, could be all centers. But it shouldn’t be required that each team is 2 Guards, 2 Fowards and a Center. We off that in 2023.

no team is putting a lineup of all guards, or all centers.

so we shouldn't call it a "team"
it's an award for the top 5 top 5-10 top 10-15.

TBH I think this is about money,

They don't want a guy in a shallow position group being eligible for a supermax contract or something.

Back
Top Bottom