The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League

As I've thought about this, I've decided Gannis response is silly, fundamentally misunderstands sports and is a massive backwards hustle.

The central appeal of sports is the stakes are irrationally inflated. When you watch or participate in a sport you are tacitly agreeing to massively inflate the stakes of every outcome.

it's an essential part of the social contract of any sport.

And pople who violate that social contract are shunned because to do so is to puncture the very essence of sports competition.

If you are playing any serious sport and a dude on your team kept harping on the fact that "none of this matters" "we are all winners in life" you would have nothing but contempt for him.

Sports are a way to vicariously experience life or death outcomes. Basically all social animals with a fear response engage in this kind of play. It's a way of testing the body and the mind,.

Human beings are social animals so there is such a thing as social death. So our forms of play almost always involve a social component.
Legacy; how will victory or defeat echo across time? What will it mean to you, the players that came before, the players that will come after?

Gannis gets paid win or lose, every player is a millionaire and has no relationship to the city other than tenouis geographic designations.

Sports are human drama, If you can't call out success or failure you might as well watch NBA 2K simulations.

Obviously In the context of life Gannis is not a failure. But what does that even mean?,

In modern society unless you murdered or raped someone or are a hardened criminal we don't really call anyone's life a "failure".

Competitive sports operates by different rules, and we all understand this. It's part of the social contract.

If you lose in 5 games to an 8 seed it is obviously a massive failure.

Describing it as anything less in the context of sports is absurd.

If Gannis doesn't like that he should probably just not play competitive sports. Victory / defeat, success / failure is kind of the whole point.

I thought it was “understood” that Giannis wasnt literal with the failure talk. Hes was just talking the **** and being cute. He know he failed, and he knows he gotta get better and they gotta be better next season. Look at that IG “im coming” post.

I know the Warriors will Win later but why do i have a feeling that they will collapse so bad and will be smashed by the lakers for 20+ points?

It's a real gut check game. I fully expect the Warriors to come out and play their best game but if things go sideways or if the Lakers are able to build some type of lead, is going to be interesting to see how the Warriors respond.

Also, the crowds at Chase center have been awful. Nowhere near as loud is it was in Oakland.

Very anti-climatic reveal of the All-NBA teams by Inside. They put more effort into the All-Stars.

Cliffs anybody?

Exegerrated stakes is the essence of competitive sports.

The entire point of sports competition is to vicariously experience definitive life or death out comes.

If you remove failure from sports, you defeat the entire purpose.

Obviously Giannis is not a failure in life. But that's really meaningless, because we don't call anyone a failure unless they rape or murder someone.

Part of the social contract of sports is definitive outcomes.

Win or go home games tonight.
I expect some desperation and intense focus from knicks and dubs. Both extend their series

How? For having 2 All-NBA guys about to enter their primes?

Don’t get how this is a problem for Boston at all :lol:

I guess it depends on the outcome this season but having to commit $613MM to two guys who haven’t won a title yet? That’s a lot of money bruh.

Back
Top Bottom