The Official NBA Season Thread: Las Vegas Summer League

LeBron-James-pointing.jpeg

EYE saw what time the game was coming on and was like

dave-chappelle-adios.gif

Man, I’m usually awake and working out at that time usually there is some BS on at that hour but I didn’t think to check the guide until it was time to switch to ESPN2 for ESPN Radio and the 4th just started |l

As soon as I tuned I saw AR15 hit a 3 then get a putback tip off a miss (would have been major if he dunked it). He’s a hooper :smokin

Question for the cap/CBA experts:

Why didn't Austin Reaves sign a shorter deal?

I understand that he signed for the max the Lakers could offer him because of the Gilbert Arenas rule I couldn't he have assigned a 1-year deal, hit free agency next year and gotten a larger contract (potentially a 25% max contract offer)?

Maybe he's risk-averse and wanted the maximum number of years and money the Lakers could offer (or maybe he just really likes being a Laker) but it seems like he's leaving a lot of money on the table.

Question for the cap/CBA experts:

Why didn't Austin Reaves sign a shorter deal?

I understand that he signed for the max the Lakers could offer him because of the Gilbert Arenas rule I couldn't he have assigned a 1-year deal, hit free agency next year and gotten a larger contract (potentially a 25% max contract offer)?

Maybe he's risk-averse and wanted the maximum number of years and money the Lakers could offer (or maybe he just really likes being a Laker) but it seems like he's leaving a lot of money on the table.
He could've, nothing was stopping him from doing it. But he got the short-term money locked in (three years) and then some (opt-out, trade kicker). He's also a little older, so he's got less years to make his money than most players after two years of service.

Last edited:
He could've, nothing was stopping him from doing it. But he got the short-term money locked in (three years) and then some (opt-out, trade kicker). He's also a little older, so he's got less years to make his money than most players after two years of service.
I’m speculating, but I think he also realized that he’s in a very good situation with the Lakers and more money elsewhere might not offset the other perks he has where he is.

Back
Top Bottom