The Official NBA Season Thread: NBA Draft

I think selecting Wiseman over Lamelo is bad process regardless of the outcome.

Like if Lamelo was a bust, and Wiseman did become Deandre Jordan I still think it's dumb.

Regardless of the outcome,
Using the number 2 pic, to take a center, who doesn't have DPOY potential, and isn't some insane preternatural offensive player
Over a guy with the potential to be a 3 level ball handler creator.

imo it's dumb no matter what happens.
Saying the draft is random makes it seem like Wiseman had potential that he never did and it's not the Warriors fault that he doesn't

Dwight having a good time overthere., and the fans were loving him. Own personal And1 tour for him haha. Man amongst boys :lol:

9E5B4899-4F48-4120-94C8-4B0F111A7196.jpeg

At an outdoor table sat the brass of the three-time NBA champion Golden State Warriors: owner Joe Lacob, GM Bob Myers, coach Steve Kerr and head trainer Rick Celebrini. They peppered Wiseman with questions and Wiseman, as unintimidated by the company as he was by the expensive steak on the plate in front of him, calmly answered.

Do you like to go to parties, one of them asked.

“I don’t go to parties,” he replied.

He told them about growing up with a single mom who worked multiple jobs in the projects of Nashville, where he’d sometimes have to finish his homework under the lights of the school bus she drove. At one point, Wiseman turned the interview around on the men, all of them more than twice his age. He asked them how he would fit with the team’s culture and what role he would play on the court.

“Clearly impressive,” said Myers, recalling that dinner three months later. “I wonder how I would perform as a 19-year-old with a bunch of 40-, 50-, 60-year-olds at dinner.”

Which teams are these? Not even being combative, drafting is just more Meh/Misses than hits.

I could easily say drafting Steph/Klay/Dray supplants all the misses. Steph alone does, its a top 10 player ever.
Good call.

Taking a step back, looking at last years title team, the front office drafted 4/5 of the starting lineup and the sixth man. Which is an AMAZING feat in and of itself.

But to your point, it looks like that gave them a false sense of security :lol:

They lost several of the FAs that rounded the rotation but felt more than comfortable elevating their draft picks because look at their draft history, right? :lol:

They only talk about that dinner with the warriors brass as the reason he was drafted.

They probably thought he was #wellspoken #articulate
I remember an interview with Marc Spears (the guy is an idiot and always wrong) and he said “man. Smartest kid I’ve ever interviewed. I was blown away. They have to take him”

Man was all jokes when talking about seeing Embiid. "I hope he's there. If I see him we're going to do our secret handshake."
kDR1yQ.gif

Like if Lamelo was a bust, and Wiseman did become Deandre Jordan I still think it's dumb.

Using the number 2 pic, to take a center, who doesn't have DPOY potential, and isn't some insane preternatural offensive player

They got enamored with his physical traits and athleticism. They didn't have a 7'0 on the roster and Kerr loves him some centers even though he's always gotten by with scrap heap guys (besides Bogut) like Zaza, Javale, Looney.

At an outdoor table sat the brass of the three-time NBA champion Golden State Warriors: owner Joe Lacob, GM Bob Myers, coach Steve Kerr and head trainer Rick Celebrini. They peppered Wiseman with questions and Wiseman, as unintimidated by the company as he was by the expensive steak on the plate in front of him, calmly answered.

He told them about growing up with a single mom who worked multiple jobs in the projects of Nashville, where he’d sometimes have to finish his homework under the lights of the school bus she drove. At one point, Wiseman turned the interview around on the men, all of them more than twice his age. He asked them how he would fit with the team’s culture and what role he would play on the court.

“Clearly impressive,” said Myers, recalling that dinner three months later. “I wonder how I would perform as a 19-year-old with a bunch of 40-, 50-, 60-year-olds at dinner.”
I was waiting for this—ridiculous story. Stop interviewing basketball players like they're trying to get a job at JP Morgan.

Also, dinner interviews are the worst. They tell you nothing.

If this is the criteria to be the #2 pick then I should have entered the draft after my freshman year of college too |l

It was dumb drafting Wiseman over Lamelo and I don't think anyone in here would've done it. I'm saying regardless, they won a championship. There's no guarantee they draft Lamelo and have the same outcome.

And I know that sounds crazy because Wiseman gave 0 contribution, but 0 contribution from him worked. This is real life, not 2K, winning a championship is always a win, even if the guy you drafted didn't play. We've all seen it's just not as simple to win as plugging in "the best" players.

Whoever was getting those touches instead of Wiseman contributed to championship level ball. If Lamelo gets all that usage instead, they still win? 100%? For sure? Idk about that. A guaranteed 4 chips and a a draft bust is better in my mind than a likely 3 and a Lamelo consolation prize.

I think the Warriors goal was obviously to extend their window and have another core to build with going forward. It wasn't just 1 more chip and garbage immediately after. So in that respect they came up short of their intended goal. Especially with steph still being elite.

It was always dumb.

Warrior fans tried to act like the team was smarter than everyone else.

It was dumb drafting Wiseman over Lamelo and I don't think anyone in here would've done it. I'm saying regardless, they won a championship. There's no guarantee they draft Lamelo and have the same outcome.

And I know that sounds crazy because Wiseman gave 0 contribution, but 0 contribution from him worked. This is real life, not 2K, winning a championship is always a win, even if the guy you drafted didn't play. We've all seen it's just not as simple to win as plugging in "the best" players.

Whoever was getting those touches instead of Wiseman contributed to championship level ball. If Lamelo gets all that usage instead, they still win? 100%? For sure? Idk about that. A guaranteed 4 chips and a a draft bust is better in my mind than a likely 3 and a Lamelo consolation prize.

This. Folks act like winning a championship is easy or guaranteed. If a poor drafting decision results in you winning a championship in the present and he ends up being a bust then you deal with it. Who knows what is going to happen in the future. Unexpected teams/players pop up every day, B.

Does that argument work for the Pistons not taking Carmelo?

They won a championship with Darko so yes. And Darko has more rings than Melo so hell yeah.

Back
Top Bottom