The Official NBA Season Thread: USA vs Serbia at 11:15 ET on NBC/Peacock | Durant Cleared for Action

t1T50R1.jpg

I don't think multiple seconds are worth the optics of trading for KPJ and lighting $15M on fire.

You know how quick the media moves today, man. Folks will be up in arms about it for 24-48 hours until Damian gets traded, Jim rants about his situation, Kyrie does Kyrie things, etc. And all will definitely be forgotten by the time those picks matriculate and the team who gets them will probably trade them away.

I don't think multiple seconds are worth the optics of trading for KPJ and lighting $15M on fire.

I’ll forgive the FO if they trade mook away for KPJ and 4 2nd rounders
Shiiiiiit I'm sayin... I wouldn't be mad if the Mavs swapped the salary to get off Maxi or Tim, cut him immediately and just got whatever the picks are.

To hell with optics if he's never suiting up for me. Go refill some draft capital.

At this point why do the rockets need to trade him if they can get out of his non guaranteed contract without losing assets

Don’t think anyone’s pitchforking the rockets over his stupid decisions

I 100% agree with your point about them being human beings but what if that 3-5 game cycle is during a cross-country road trip and it would be the home fans only chance to see their favorite player (Steph, Bron, Luka, etc)? What if they miss a nationally televised primetime game because of it?

There are so many variables that just make it too difficult to come up with hard and fast rules for this.

They would never do it. But they should set up where if you want to load manage a guy during the regular season, have at it. But for each game you load manage, that player also has to load manage a playoff game. You load manage 3 games or try to get around it by only playing the player a few minutes. Have at it, but see you game 4 of your first round series.

The problem the NBA has though is that they want to have their cake and eat it too with this one. They want to promote individual star players more than any other American sports league does. With other leagues, people are paying to see the actual team, more than they are one or two specific star players. Yeah you’ll have some fans going strictly to see specific star players. But the marketing is largely focused on promoting teams.

People are paying specifically to see Steph Curry, Giannis, Kevin Durant etc more so rather than to see the Warriors, Bucks or Suns. And most NBA teams, the box office (not the secondary ticket market) sells tickets in a way reflective of that. They don’t charge the same price across the board for all 41 regular season home games regardless of opponent. When Milwaukee, Phoenix or Golden Stare are in town. The price is marked up by the box office as a premium tier game. Mainly because of one superstar player.

So of course fans are going to get pissed when said star player is healthy and not playing for load management reasons. Especially when the box office is selling multi game ticket packages and showing pictures of the other teams superstars as a selling point to see your home team take on those star players. If a guy is legitimately injured. That’s circumstances beyond anyone’s control. But that load management stuff is extremely bad optics. Especially for a league that’s supposed to be a “players league” where a lot of the promotion and marketing is directed toward individual star talent.

Back
Top Bottom