The Official NBA Season Thread: USA vs Serbia at 11:15 ET on NBC/Peacock | Durant Cleared for Action

382413051_693510916144638_6523177112595603369_n.jpg

Euroleague is great to bet on but it’s not good basketball.
Very few good basketball around even in the NBA. Nba drama and gambling is big reason why it is so popular. Can be said about other sports as well like NFL with fantasy and gambling

Not to mention that of the 4400+ NBA players all-time, the average career is 4.5 years. Imagine choosing a ring over money in a field with that career span. It is idiotic.

Yea have to publicly say that you care about rings more, even though we know most really don't.

Also, unless you are a superstar (where rings adds/subtracts from your legacy) picking rings over money is funny as hell.

But again, I know folks HAVE to say they want to win.

A while ago Gil said he'd rather take Harden career (money x the man) over Robert Horry career (rings x role player)

Lot's of ****ery has ensued as a result :lol:

Anyone that said Horry was lying through their teeth. I remember this argument and the conversation that came from it was hilarious.

People say anything online when they know others are watching.

Full of ****

Noticing that the newer generation of players is less scared to say money > rings out loud. It’s interesting. Seems consistent with the way the Millennial/Gen Z world view is different from prior generations more generally.

Last edited:
Noticing that the newer generation of players is less scared to say money > rings out loud. It’s interesting. Seems consistent with the way the Millennial/Gen Z world view is different from prior generations more generally.
Anything involving work/money is a lot different for the younger folks…They seem less willing to engage in the surface level bs n politics when it comes to the workplace…The youngins give no dambs bout perception and making it look/sound good, word to Ant coming into the league and having folks riled up cuz yo wasn’t giving the standard corporate NBA media trained answers :lol:

Matter fact didn’t Ayton straight up say he looking forward to his 2nd contract the most before he was even drafted? :lol: :pimp:

Last edited:
On the rings vs money debate topic this fool Gilbert ended it by asking "would you rather be Kobe or Fisher??" :lol:

Everybody don't need a podcast bruh.

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican getcho mans

I told y’all years ago, when Gilbert was launching all of this, that Gilbert was an idiot. And the clown. We reward stupidity now. Perfect case

I’ve had Gilbert on my personal idiot list ever since I read about him licking donuts that he brought for his teammates when he was on the Warriors. SMH.

I’m not shaming Gilbert for choosing the money because I would too but let’s not forget that Gilbert Arenas is on record in the past few years saying that he spent his entire rookie salary ($845K - probably $3-400K after taxes and agent fees) before playing a single game, had to live in the Bay Area on a $500 allowance and couldn’t even afford gas at points so he slept Oracle Arena from time to time.

Of course that man is going to pick the money over winning, he spent it before even playing a game :lol:

Is he? I’m taking the $100Ms 100 out of 100 times. Wouldn’t even have to think twice.

The research on happiness/life satisfaction shows linear increase in happiness as salary increases and starts to level off at 500,000 a year.

obviously these aren't hard numbers but,
you have to think you are well beyond the point of diminishing returns at 50 million vs 100 million.

what are you buying with 100 million that you can't get with 50 million? and is that really going to meaningfully change your life?
and people who are unhappy and rich seem to show no increase in happiness when they make more money.

on the other hand job satisfaction, has pretty strong correlation with mental and physical health.

and given the unique nature of a championships in professional sports, and the level of competitiveness of the average professional athlete.
I feel pretty confident that the life satisfaction gained from winning a championship is going to outweigh the satisfaction gained from a bigger yacht or something.

ultimately I think Stack is right, for the extra 50 million to outweigh winning a ring,
I think you'd have to pretty unusually un competitive pro athlete.

I feel pretty confident that the life satisfaction gained from winning a championship is going to outweigh the satisfaction gained from a bigger yacht or something.
Yea, there are tons of NBA guys who won a ring and I’m SURE they’d rather have the money. Def tough to try and pass off your take as fact here :lol:.
ultimately I think Stack is right, for the extra 50 million to outweigh winning a ring,
I think you'd have to pretty unusually un competitive pro athlete.
there’s literally current players in the comments saying they’d choose the money. :lol:

Also I don't even think Gil believes what he's saying.

He said on another pod on of the lowest moments in his life, was post the gun thing, on the Magic.
he was drinking and partying more to cope with the depression if im remembering right.

the Magic years were his highest yearly salary in his career at 22 million.
he seemed to be way happier with life in his prime with the Wizards when he was only making 10 million.

Career and processional satisfaction I think are going to be way more important when you are the extreme ranges of income.

Back
Top Bottom