The Official NBA Season Thread

Saric can play the Bjelica role and he has chemistry with Cp. I love the signing.

CP, Saric, Kuminga 2nd unit could be interesting.

This is hilarious.

One issue with all these younger, tanking for 2-3 years teams is they run out of roster spots and minutes for development. You get players approaching their 2nd contract that are still raw as hell.

If I was a smart team I’d be trynna take the rookies that didn’t develop on Houston, okc, Orlando, Detroit, etc. for whatever reason and try to get them into my system and hope that I can develop them better. Probably the best risk vs reward play you can make in 2023.

1688828128335.jpeg

jDusk.qR4e.jpg

Great day for Jaden Hardy ... Looked great.

Lot to love about Lively one game in... Offense is gonna be a work in progress and he's gotta get stronger. But defensively that kid's special.

This is hilarious.

One issue with all these younger, tanking for 2-3 years teams is they run out of roster spots and minutes for development. You get players approaching their 2nd contract that are still raw as hell.

If I was a smart team I’d be trynna take the rookies that didn’t develop on Houston, okc, Orlando, Detroit, etc. for whatever reason and try to get them into my system and hope that I can develop them better. Probably the best risk vs reward play you can make in 2023.
It's not a problem for them really right now because I think the core is somewhat set. They'll max out/pay the guys they decide to keep and then have multiple 1st round picks in every draft except 1 all the way to 2030. They'll probably just cycle those cost controlled role players. I'm not saying it'll turn out perfect, but they are pretty far ahead of those other teams right now in regards to plan execution.

This is hilarious.

Yup. Ideally those late FRPs and second round picks should be used in packages to move up in the draft or in trades for disgruntled players/distressed assets from around the league (ex: Milwaukee traded 5 second round picks for Jae Crowder :lol:). Unfortunately the Rockets haven’t been able to do that because the picks haven’t really lined up with their timeline and draft order hasn’t provided the opportunity.

The strategy can work but timing is everything.

Yup. Ideally those late FRPs and second round picks should be used in packages to move up in the draft or in trades for disgruntled players/distressed assets from around the league (ex: Milwaukee traded 5 second round picks for Jae Crowder :lol:). Unfortunately the Rockets haven’t been able to do that because the picks haven’t really lined up with their timeline and draft order hasn’t provided the opportunity.

The strategy can work but timing is everything.
And for cheap contracts when you are paying the core...if OKC is as good as many think they can be they'll need a lot of those picks to replenish role players. In my mind, they may not need a disgruntled star lol. We'll see on that, though.

Regardless, being prepared if things go sideways is pretty ideal for a small market team. They can go in many different directions.

And for cheap contracts when you are paying the core...if OKC is as good as many think they can be they'll need a lot of those picks to replenish role players. In my mind, they may not need a disgruntled star lol. We'll see on that, though.

Regardless, being prepared if things go sideways is pretty ideal for a small market team. They can go in many different directions.
Absolutely! I was speaking on during the rebuilding process when you don’t have those max players yet but what you said is 100% true if your team pans out. Those picks can be extremely valuable for capped out contenders as we have seen with Herro and Poole, for example.

It’s definitely better to have them but like I think we are both saying, you just need to manage them appropriately which Houston seems to have not :ohwell:
7 FRPs in the last drafts (2/23/24, 3/17, 4/20) is kind of ridiculous probably was not sustainable from the jump :lol:

Back
Top Bottom