The Official NBA Thread: Celtics Lead 3-1 in the NBA Finals | RIP Jerry West

DANIEL THEIS, The BIG man, scored 21 points, had more rebounds than all USA Bigs COMBINED, and blocked one shot to lead the Germans over the USA Smurfs of Steve Kerr.

What a disgrace that American coaches still dont realize this is a big man's game, even internationally lol

If only Austin Reaves were 7'0" cause clearly Kerr the idiot wasn't going to use the best big man he had - Walker Kessler.

If Kerr thinks his small ball bs gonna work next year with his Golden St Smurfs, he is in for a rude awakening once again.

i understand. my point is that perhaps hype was taken over talent / cohesion as far as some player selections. the usa has a wide pool of players. they really shouldn't have lost to germany
I agree with this assessment. I also blame Kerr because the roster construction was on him and Grant Hill. He thought he would use the GS model without Steph and Klay and without rebounders and defenders like Looney and Dray. The last time USA won the WC Steph, Klay and Mikey were cooking but Boogie and Faried were patrolling the paint. The problem is that under Grant Hill the things that worked he decided to abandon. Rather than a 4 year commitment to build roster cohesion and continuity he went away from that model and went back to the Pre 06 days where guys didn’t have to commit. Now we have a system where players will come and go and the roster construction will be tenuous at best.

^^ TLDR ^^

Also, maybe these execs & players are underestimating the global talent community like everyone else? Those teams have better chemistry & everyone shoots lights out these days.

Why isn’t Spo heading the team? Kerr is def mid & it is refreshing to see those lights shining bright too.

lol i love it ! 2 great defensive guys no doubt when locked in

Embiid for his career avg 1.7 BPG in reg season

Bam for his career avg 0.9 in reg season

Embiid almost avg 3 BPG (2.8 these playoffs on a torn knee - let that sink in real quick

Bam avg 0.7 these playoffs

when embiid locks in on defense EYE dont think anyone is remotely similar to protecting the rim

Davis and embiid 1 A and 1 B
1.7 would be AD's worst year. Vic and Chet are gonna average like 3 blocks out the gate

I agree with this assessment. I also blame Kerr because the roster construction was on him and Grant Hill. He thought he would use the GS model without Steph and Klay and without rebounders and defenders like Looney and Dray. The last time USA won the WC Steph, Klay and Mikey were cooking but Boogie and Faried were patrolling the paint. The problem is that under Grant Hill the things that worked he decided to abandon. Rather than a 4 year commitment to build roster cohesion and continuity he went away from that model and went back to the Pre 06 days where guys didn’t have to commit. Now we have a system where players will come and go and the roster construction will be tenuous at best.
The reason for this was the FIBA moved the WC to ONE YEAR before the Olympics, instead of 2 years. Thus USA basketball figured they didn't need the commitments like previously done.

Schroder is really good, so let's auto-switch our best defender off him and let Reaves try and stay in front of him. Let's not hard double him or go under screens.

1.7 would be AD's worst year. Vic and Chet are gonna average like 3 blocks out the gate
for sure

AD also got 266 more games played than embiid. Embiid if he tried about 10% less on offense and put that effort towards defense his blocks would be right there

i got chet outbeating vic for ROY at +700 before it dropped to +330 on FD

been on the chet train

a lot of USA top guys are older now or had deep playoff run. Bron/AD/Bam/Tatum/Butler ain’t going from a deep playoff run, resting a couple weeks and flying to play Fiba.

Then we got a bunch of guys who are just older and can’t be doing the year round basketball: Curry, Dame, KD, Kyrie, PG, Kawhi

Can’t really send the A team, or even B team. These young guys got to step-up and take the reins

^^ TLDR ^^

Also, maybe these execs & players are underestimating the global talent community like everyone else? Those teams have better chemistry & everyone shoots lights out these days.

Why isn’t Spo heading the team? Kerr is def mid & it is refreshing to see those lights shining bright too.

It is almost like the system put in place since 06 was thrown in the garbage. If players and execs are back to underestimating teams and players that’s going to be difficult to overcome. I have no problem letting young guys get a chance because that’s what happened in 2010 but that 2010 team played ELITE defense and could get stops. If you send young guys you need to have all of your bases covered. You need defenders, shooters, scorers and playmakers. This team didn’t have what they needed but this tournament was weird in that the traditional powers (Spain, France and USA) all had relatively poor showings which shows that the game is growing everywhere.

I’m likely sending Lamelo instead of JB to start with Ant. I know he’s a negative defender thus far but he’s got international exp and better coaching and teammates to hide him from hurting over there.

And he’s bigger 🐾

The reason for this was the FIBA moved the WC to ONE YEAR before the Olympics, instead of 2 years. Thus USA basketball figured they didn't need the commitments like previously done.
I know why they made the change, but the major benefit of the commitment process was that you had the same group or similar group of guys getting work in together every summer in Vegas. I’m convinced that the seeds of the 2010 WC team were planted in the summers before since most of the guys on the 2010 WC team were either on the select team that helped get the guys ready in 08 or were in camp in the 09 summer.

F5gt-PkWAAAykC1

^^ TLDR ^^

i think this is fair. a growing difference between euro and usa basketball over the years has been the forging of team construct & play vs individuals leading the way. this relies on team selection and coaching and the usa didn't seem to do that correctly this time around

I am curious to see why some players didn't play in this tournament, instead of dicking around in the summer....
KLAY (dude is hooping all ****ing summer anyways at the gym)
BAM ( Dude been MIA)
BOOK ( Dude is still young and need to re-up for the chip)
JB ( Overrated, but could have helped)
Tatum( he can get runs at the gym, then he can play here)
AD ( ohh forget hes fragile hahaha)
LAMELO ( ???)

I know why they made the change, but the major benefit of the commitment process was that you had the same group or similar group of guys getting work in together every summer in Vegas. I’m convinced that the seeds of the 2010 WC team were planted in the summers before since most of the guys on the 2010 WC team were either on the select team that helped get the guys ready in 08 or were in camp in the 09 summer.
Don't think the young guys/agents like being part of try-outs and publicly being cut, not to mention taking up two consecutive summers.

How about Team USA sends nothing but guards and wings and no centers to the 2024 Olympics and see if Tatum, Booker, Ja, Lavine, Lillard, Murray, and KD can beat the rest of the world LOL

Back
Top Bottom