The Official NBA Thread: Lakers Fire Darvin Ham

One year ago Dame knew the Blazers drafted Shaedon Sharpe and extended Simons for $25MM. He knew what the roster was going to look like for the near future and the potential moves they could make.

He took all of that in and signed a two year supermax extension with the Portland Trailblazers through 2027 (original deal was ending in 2025). Signing that extension and asking for a trade one year later with only one destination on your list isn't considerate for the front office or fanbase.

Dame is like someone who renewed their vows then asked for a divorce shortly after :smh:
That's why Portland needs to focus on what's best for them. They have a young core and with what they can get back from Dame, will only add on to it. Don't think they need to worry about any blowback from trading Dame to where he doesn't want to be. It's not like they're a free agent destintion to begin with.

that whole getting blowback is a non-issue. maybe, his agent may not deal with them going forward. very few select teams even end up signing the big names when the time comes.
couldn't even get meetings with free agents during the dame/cj era

accumulate draft picks and rebuild through the draft like okc

Y’all really be putting athletes in the weirdest predicaments with this black and white statements. If they play through injury then the injury can’t nag them in a loss but if they win then it’s a feather in their hat to their legacy. If they don’t play through an injury and you don’t like the player then they’re soft and/or load managing but if you do like the player then they’re being smart by resting up for a more important games/playoffs or ensuring they don’t play until they are 100% to prevent further injury.
point of the matter is, you shouldn't be complaining. they are Pro athletes, not drama queens. if they receive some criticisms, take it face on. athletes nowadays complain because they got their feelings hurt? that is not a predicament, it's more of a comedy.

giphy (76).gif

I’m thinking it’s less about people not wanting to go to Portland and more about players having less love for being “loyal”

I will tell you that Milwaukee is prob conflicted. One one hand if Dame goes to Miami, it will spell trouble for their finals hopes. But at the same time, it will continue the trend of guys resigning with their incumbent teams - a trend we are seeing more and more.

Dame goes to Charlotte and all of a sudden, guys like Giannis will realize being loyal is a one way street ( players are dramatic and babies) and youll see more guys like Giannis take the old Lebron method of forcing movement- free agency.

Just my thoughts

The players can’t say no to these max deals. That’s honestly a good thing for these smaller marker teams. The money is too good. Bane/ANT/Melo/Hali/Sabonis etc.

Yeah if Melo or Halliburton in a year or 2 demand out at least the hornets and Pacers will get assets back as opposed to leaving for free.

Almost like trades are the new free agency.

The players can’t say no to these max deals. That’s honestly a good thing for these smaller marker teams. The money is too good. Bane/ANT/Melo/Hali/Sabonis etc.

Yeah if Melo or Halliburton in a year or 2 demand out at least the hornets and Pacers will get assets back as opposed to leaving for free.

Almost like trades are the new free agency.

Exactly. Woj said it best - we are living in the Transfer Portal Era of the NBA. It's just weird to watch because of the scenario you said - Melo or Hali can ask out in a year or two and Charlotte/Indy fade back into Bolivia.

One of the hosts on ESPN Radio (Twolves fan) also put it into perspective with the Anthony Edwards extension. He's not even THAT excited about it because realistically Ant could do exactly what you said - leave in a year two. I've been saying that something should probably be done about this but it wasn't in this CBA. It would be a really contentious subject too.

Having lotto teams be glorified farm systems ain't it.

Very proud of how the Blazers and Dame are handling things. I have a feeling that if the Blazers get a great offer from a Championship contender like Boston or Milwaukee and that offer is better than what Miami offers I think they do those deals and Dame will be content. I respect the Heat and their Culture but it seems like Dame really just wants to play with another elite or star talent. The Blazers have been to the playoffs several times with Dame so I don’t blame either side for sticking it out the last couple of years and trying to get a big named star in Portland instead of trading Dame.

To be honest I'm not sold on Dame going to Miami because I'm not sold on Bam. Bam is a solid player but if they gut their team to get Dame, Bam will have to up his offensive consistently in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom