The Official NBA Thread: Lakers Fire Darvin Ham

It’s a fake fundamental

If the open man is no longer there once you leave your feet it's basically a turnover, and once you leave your feet everyone knows the ball has to leave your hand.

Yeah jump passes are great when they work, but for most players not leaving their feet to make a pass is the better option. Bron and Luka are top .000000000000000000000000000000001% of basketball players. Rules don't apply to them.

Not including Nash cause he's overrated.

If the open man is no longer there once you leave your feet it's basically a turnover, and once you leave your feet everyone knows the ball has to leave your hand.

Yeah jump passes are great when they work, but for most players not leaving their feet to make a pass is the better option. Bron and Luka are top .000000000000000000000000000000001% of basketball players. Rules don't apply to them.

Not including Nash cause he's overrated.
It baffles me how you can appreciate great passers like Luka and Bron but then say Nash is overrated. You don’t like his MVPs, fine. But he absolutely had the gift as a passer.

Every PG needs to be able to make that jump pass on the baseline when helpside commits. Half of the time the defense commits because they see the offensive player leave his feet. The difference between hitting a teammate can come down to milliseconds. We don’t have time jump stop and pass. We are trying to be great.

It baffles me how you can appreciate great passers like Luka and Bron but then say Nash is overrated. You don’t like his MVPs, fine. But he absolutely had the gift as a passer.

Every PG needs to be able to make that jump pass on the baseline when helpside commits. Half of the time the defense commits because they see the offensive player leave his feet. The difference between hitting a teammate can come down to milliseconds. We don’t have time jump stop and pass. We are trying to be great.

Nash could pass the ball but he is the biggest system player of all time. Not even a top 10 PG. Wouldn't even call him a top 5 passer.

But back to the topic at hand, leaving your feet like that to make a pass is a high skill ability some players got it, most however do not. In that situation 9 times out of time I'd prefer my PG to keep his dribble alive.

i’m more so talking about the stationary jump pass. Where you’re trapped or damn near trapped.

The type of pass that even the best professionals will have a hard time doing.

Luka just somehow gets so much zip on it.

Last edited:
Nash could pass the ball but he is the biggest system player of all time. Not even a top 10 PG. Wouldn't even call him a top 5 passer.

But back to the topic at hand, leaving your feet like that to make a pass is a high skill ability some players got it, most however do not. In that situation 9 times out of time I'd prefer my PG to keep his dribble alive.
I’ll ignore the Nash slander.

But you at least need to teach the baseline hook pass. Helpside going to try to take the corner man away. That wing 3 is there every time

Luka the best passer to the lob and Jump pass
Jokic best passer of the post and over defenses
LeBron best skip passer and of pick and roll coverages
Harden is the best bounce passer , post entry and hitting the roller
Hali is the best at ahead passes

But they all elite in every passing element

Luka the best passer to the lob and Jump pass
Jokic best passer of the post and over defenses
LeBron best skip passer and of pick and roll coverages
Harden is the best bounce passer , post entry and hitting the roller
Hali is the best at ahead passes

But they all elite in every passing element
Put some respect on Trae young’s name

I’ll ignore the Nash slander.

But you at least need to teach the baseline hook pass. Helpside going to try to take the corner man away. That wing 3 is there every time

Everything is fluid and basketball is a read/reaction sport so it's hard to replicate every single passing angle and opening a player may see in a game. So generally speaking the best way to prepare a player for this situations is ball handling drills, making sure they're comfortable passing and dribbling with either hand and watching film.

With that being said I run mainly a 4 out 1 in motion offense where my 5 man plays from the high post, a half court set usually starts with an on ball screen for the ball handler the 1 or the 2. So bounce passes, skips, and being able to throw an entry pass to the post are definitely my main priorities.

I spend 30 min each practice just on working on reads out of the PNR.

Back
Top Bottom