The Official Netflix Thread Tho: Recommend Streaming Movies

I’m sure they could implement a travel notification system like the banks do for credit cards. Then flag accounts potentially abusing the system. The vast majority of people aren’t spending months away from home.
Yeah forget all that not notifying Netflix I will be on travel. Itching for a reason to cancel them, doing to much with this new policy.

What about if you travel or have another home?

I’m sure they could implement a travel notification system like the banks do for credit cards. Then flag accounts potentially abusing the system. The vast majority of people aren’t spending months away from home.

How about folks with kids in college or retired parents etc? Netflix doing too much and didn’t consider all the variables.

Yeah, they'll give you a 7-day passcode for travel but I 100% agree they didn't account for all the variables. I pay for Comcast across two residences and regularly travel so this will be problematic for me. I've been watching a lot of classics lately so I've been on HBO Max/Showtime heavy but I am wondering why the hell I even NFLX at this point. Their catalog is lowkey weak and they aren't hitting with the originals. Even the current HBO/Showtime shows that air weekly on Sundays are better than current NFLX originals.

When did they fall off and where did they go wrong?

Turning into Hal 9000.

Hal 9000: I'm sorry Dave I can't allow you to view your Netflix account.
Hal 9000: I can't allow you to share your Netflix account illegally.

Their subscriber count is going to take a hit cause of this. Whatever it's their grave.

Their subscriber count is going to take a hit cause of this. Whatever it's their grave.

I think the article said like 100 million folks globally share accounts so yeah something is going to give. They really have that much confidence in their platform that they think a majority of them will just sign up for new accounts :lol: It's not THAT good.

I think the article said like 100 million folks globally share accounts so yeah something is going to give. They really have that much confidence in their platform that they think a majority of them will just sign up for new accounts :lol: It's not THAT good.
I mean they’ve added 10 million subscribers over the past two quarters and still are the market leader by a considerable amount. That 100 million households they aren’t monetizing is at least an additional $300-700M+ per month in revenue. Yall want more OG content right? Well they do too and it costs.

They’ve had subscriber growth almost every quarter for the past 10 years even with the price hikes. This is a little different but I’ll bet on NFLX to figure it out as they’ve done in the past.

I mean they’ve added 10 million subscribers over the past two quarters and still are the market leader by a considerable amount. That 100 million households they aren’t monetizing is at least an additional $300-700M+ per month in revenue. Yall want more OG content right? Well they do too and it costs.

They’ve had subscriber growth almost every quarter for the past 10 years even with the price hikes. This is a little different but I’ll bet on NFLX to figure it out as they’ve done in the past.

Thank you for that breakdown, I wasn't aware of the numbers outside of what was in the article. I guess that indicates a revenue problem despite the additional users and their market leading position. Obviously you always want to find new ways to increase revenue and users but this is an interesting way to go about it.

Is that gross additions or net after cancellations? The initial reaction seems to alienate some of those 100 million and perhaps some outside of that which ultimately could result in the net going down so I would curious to see that # quarter over quarter after implementation after this change (as well as cancellations in general now that they might increase).

Regardless, fun times ahead for NFLX. I just need Part 1 and 2 of YOU to drop at the moment :lol:

Thank you for that breakdown, I wasn't aware of the numbers outside of what was in the article. I guess that indicates a revenue problem despite the additional users and their market leading position. Obviously you always want to find new ways to increase revenue and users but this is an interesting way to go about it.

Is that gross additions or net after cancellations? The initial reaction seems to alienate some of those 100 million and perhaps some outside of that which ultimately could result in the net going down so I would curious to see that # quarter over quarter after implementation after this change (as well as cancellations in general now that they might increase).

Regardless, fun times ahead for NFLX. I just need Part 1 and 2 of YOU to drop at the moment :lol:
It just so happens I recently did a school assignment on the streaming industry and Netflix.

The revenue figures are pure speculations on my part if main households pay the extra $3 to share passwords and/or the moochers (me being one of them :lol: ) pay $7 for the basic ad-based plan. Not factoring in cancellations but if you got $16 for the standard plan allowing sharing then you probably got $20. Especially if you don’t want your college kids or retired parents to lose access.

More thought and research has gone into this than we the public can imagine. But if you look at the history of price hikes, which this essentially is, they are projecting net subscriber growth even after the attrition. Also factor in the remaining 50M+ cable tv subscribers slowly cutting the cord still.

So far netflix the only major streaming service with those BS rules. I share hulu, disney plus, and hbo max. They're all cheaper than netflix too.

It just so happens I recently did a school assignment on the streaming industry and Netflix.

The revenue figures are pure speculations on my part if main households pay the extra $3 to share passwords and/or the moochers (me being one of them :lol: ) pay $7 for the basic ad-based plan. Not factoring in cancellations but if you got $16 for the standard plan allowing sharing then you probably got $20. Especially if you don’t want your college kids or retired parents to lose access.

More thought and research has gone into this than we the public can imagine. But if you look at the history of price hikes, which this essentially is, they are projecting net subscriber growth even after the attrition. Also factor in the remaining 50M+ cable tv subscribers slowly cutting the cord still.

That’s a good analysis, thanks for the information bro! I don’t know much about that industry but 100% companies always do way more analysis than what meets the public eye when making overhauls such as these in every industry. I was curious about the numbers but your back of the napkin numbers and assumptions make sense.

So far netflix the only major streaming service with those BS rules. I share hulu, disney plus, and hbo max. They're all cheaper than netflix too.

I brought this up in another thread but I would have to imagine other streaming services are sitting back to see how this plays out in which case this could become the norm across all platforms in the future.

Definitely forgot plenty of other options available to us with less hoops to jump through.

Unsure where you are getting your numbers but they just lost a million subscribers between March and August.

Still looking for new data but doubt they righted the ship between Aug and now to gain 2 million subscribers. They haven't gotten better to grow that many subscribers. Disney is "right on their heels" 15 million away.

90% of their content is crap and they got the nerve to keep increasing their price.

Have to agree, man. Like I said - for a lower price you can get HBO Max and access to tons of classic movies, recently released movies as well as their iconic TV series and new HBO original series that are currently airing. Pound for pound their catalog is right there with NFLX.

Not sure how many people this new policy is really going to affect. It's still bad optics though.

I've watched more stuff on Tubi and Pluto than Netflix here lately. You can already watch almost anything for free if you know where to look. Of course, those sites could always disappear at any moment too :lol:

Unsure where you are getting your numbers but they just lost a million subscribers between March and August.

Still looking for new data but doubt they righted the ship between Aug and now to gain 2 million subscribers. They haven't gotten better to grow that many subscribers. Disney is "right on their heels" 15 million away.
Which is straight from the quarterly earnings reports. Netflix sees subscriber growth with big releases (Wednesday, Glass Onion, Harry & Meghan) and introduced the 6.99 basic plan with ads in Q4.

I don’t know if they’ve gotten “better” but they are still the leader. If 1 million lost subscribers signals trouble to you then I don’t know how you can say a 15 mil gap has WD “right on their heels.” Thats a lot of ground to make up especially when the landscape is the most competitive its ever been.

(And I’m only talking about the numbers/industry, not the catalog which I don’t think is great. Ozark was the last thing I watched before You People.)

1675378647290.png

Back
Top Bottom