The Official Off Brand Kicks, Gear and Embarrassment Thread (share your shame, it's all love)

Sir San Diego

formerly brolic scholar
I'm already anticipating the obvious "you should just be happy that your father bought you new kicks" side of this argument, but let's keep it all the way real, whether your folks did you a solid or not by keeping new shoes on your feet, sometimes the ridicule that came with the shoes was hard to bare. If you've ever had the pleasure of rocking off brands.

So which ones did y'all have? Share some stories, pics and nicknames.

Let me begin with my Brooks story. So back in middle school dudes used to take to the little courts on the playground before school started and get in some post breakfast hoops. No one was really that good, but we all had our little fake signature moves trying to be somebody. Mine was the under the hoop reverse lay-up. I used to play in whatever shoes I was wearing that day and didn't pay too much attention to what was on my feet, but once I started to get decent at the game, I wanted to throw some style into the mix. So for a couple of weeks I begged my pops to take me to the mall to get some new kicks. The day finally came on a Sunday after church. I was hype! :wow:

Man, I couldn't wait to get to the mall. So of course my first choice for a store was the one that had ALL THE NIKES and the flyest ones at that. We went. One problem though, my step-mom was cheap as HELL! She grew up dirt poor, like my pops, but unlike my pops, she never went all out on her clothes. She used to shop out of catalogs and stuff and had clothes that looked like they could double for upholstery and curtains. No diss, I love her, but her style was lacking back then. Anyway, she came up with the bright idea to go to Mervyns because they were having a sale. Do y'all remember Mervyns? MERVYNS!!!. :x :stoneface: :smh: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw hell no. The only thing they were on the map for was tank tops with "WILD THING" and "DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY" on them when those hits were popular. :smh:

View media item 383170
For those who don't remember Mervyns, it sucked. The end.

So we get to Swerv Merv's and we're browsing the limited Nike section that had all the latest in grandpa walk wear and nothing in basketball shoes, let alone models worn by actual basketball players and come up short... nada. I wiped the sweat from my brow and started my George Jefferson back to the mall corridors. But hold up... My step-mom (mom from here on out) called me back with the quickness. "What about these?" That a question that I hate to this day because it usually means "what about this bullspit you obviously didn't like and ignored?" Maaaannnnnnnnnnn, she handed me a pair of Brooks. They were burgundy and white and looked sort of like this.

View media item 383171
View media item 383172
Read that. Don't they sound "cool"? -____-

Somehow she convinced my pops who was always easy to sway that I didn't "need" Nikes and got him to buy them. He was probably just thinking about getting his **** wet later and said **** my pride. So Monday rolled around and I tried to make the most of it. I went in the closet and grabbed a polo that kinda matched, some levis and my bright white Brooks. :rolleyes

I missed the bus on purpose that day because I didn't wanna hear it on the bus. I just knew it was coming. And dudes went in on the bus. So I get to school, walk up to the courts where some dudes who came from poorer families were rocking Jordans and Nikes. My family wasn't rich, but they weren't poor either and I never looked down on anyone, but I used to wonder how those dudes stayed fresh. I know now, but my little mind didn't know then. So all eyes were on my feet. As SOON as I went up for a lay-up somebody yelled out "DOMINIQUE" and just about everyone on the court and the sidelines started laughing. My homie tried to reassure by telling me Dominque was a good player, but I wasn't hearing it. After that, every shot I took got a "DOMINIQUE" heckle and I was heated. Had me like.

View media item 383173
Long story short, I left the court shaking my head, hoop dreams deflated, cursing a few dudes out who of course, wanted to fight and I took up football and track that year.

Dudes in my hood used to call them "bo-rabbitts".

Anyone else wanna share their shame?

Mine isn't nearly as bad as yours, seriously, you have my condolences. But when I was younger and just started getting into sneakers, I was at a local mall and they just got Metallic 5s and my dad was dying to get out of that mall after my sister forced him to buy her racks of clothes. Anyway, I saw the 5s and was thinking about getting them and then I saw some team Jordans (Fly 23s) and I decided to buy them. I'll never live down that thought, and once I told my boys this story, they never let me forget it either.

i had the jumpman team flow because my parents wouldn't buy me the black/blue 18s >:

i was heated!!!

greatest team jordan ever tho, the black mids with patent leather and white sole pods.

id trade my signed sample yeezys for a ds pair of those man

edit: also had to resort to lebrons instead of the red suede 21s :smh:

damn my parents hated me!!!

Last edited:
Aw yall think **** sweet? Naw

Peep so during the summer when I was in the 7th grade my moms was goin through the struggle and I just so happend to need a pair of shoes
So to substitute untill I got some shoes I was rockin the flip flops
Not nike slides no craig slippers like

Stroll into family dollar and pick up those type if flip flops

Rocked thos everywhere I went

Then the day came when I could get a pair
Moms told me to stay at the crib and clean up or something
Before she left she asked what size I wear then I asked here what store she goin to she turned around and hit me with the batman mug and said don't worry about it
About two hours later my moms and brother come in the house
Brother. Got the sun****n smile on his face then my moms. Gives me a bag then goes to her room I take the box outa the bag to see

A pair of tommy hilfiggers
Nah mean I aint sweat it too much because it was better than the flops I've been rockin the only thing I was worried about is what the evil *** kids was gona say when I went to school

So about 2 weeks go by and I notice in the left shot I have a hold where my big toe is and it seem life everytime I take a step it gets bigger
Then **** got real to the point where I had to use a safey pin. To hold em together then it was supper glue and that **** wasn't goin then before I knew it I had talkn shoes and the right shooe started to match soon after

Tragic yo

Then there was the time I had the shaqs that looked like AF1s
And I treated them life af1s with no dambs given untill the day my brother asked me if he wanted him to "clean " them

This ***** used BLEACH to clean my damn shoes
Like I mean those where shaqs but **** yo. I took care of them muggs

Not really a knock off story but when I was about 9 my sister worked at a shoe store and would come home with all kinds of sample Nikes. Well I guess Nike didn't want them being resold so they cut the toebox across.

Dad stitched them up and me and my brother were in business

Had exclusive kicks with stitches across the top

Last edited:
My Mom really tried but I had a couple that stand out

I wanted the high top Reebok Basketball pumps........i got purple/teal low top pumps and almost got in a fight because people called them girl shoes

My mom also got me GS Jordan VI with no air pocket or icy sole. This still irks me because none of the retros compare to OG infrared VIs

I remember in 7th grade I wore US Polo Asscn and thought I was doing it (My mom told me it was a specialty line that was part of Ralph Lauren :smh: )

Went to school and got clowned like hell

US Polo Association was owned by Ralph Lauren. It was the brand under Chaps.

I remember in 7th grade I wore US Polo Asscn and thought I was doing it (My mom told me it was a specialty line that was part of Ralph Lauren :smh: )

That is a blatant lie.

Ralph Lauren and bootleg US Polo Assassination have gone through litigation over similarities in branding..... they are not and never have been a part of the same company.

That is a blatant lie.

Ralph Lauren and bootleg US Polo Assassination have gone through litigation over similarities in branding..... they are not and never have been a part of the same company.

:rofl:

You got defensive as hell!!

You callin' DT43's mom a liar though?

View media item 384638

Last edited:
thanks to pops all my life I was known as dude that had all the jordans. (growing up in detroit in the 90s them ****** was dirt poor.) One winter pops was outta town n we had a snow storm n I needed boots. Moms came home with what I thought waswheat timbs. Little did I kno they had mountains on the side instead of the tree. Here I go monday morning wit a crispy red pelle coat, hugo boss jeans, and these "timbs" on. I had the tongue all out n I had to be in 4th grade. My sis friend who was in the 8th got to clowning on me. Me thinking I had the real timbs tried to defend myself until all these dudes kept roasting the **** out of me. Calling me rocky, denver, anything to do with colorado. Ill never forgive moms for that ****

You got defensive as hell!!

You callin' DT43's mom a liar though?

View media item 384638
My man has deep scars :rofl:

Remembering that first day of school with the crispy fresh USPA thinkin' he was doin' it with the RL, head held high. Mom convincin' him that Ralph Lauren doesn't put his name on all of his clothes. Life changed forever after he realized his mistake. He swore he would never get fooled by that again.

Last edited:
I remember those days.

Mountain Gear is the boots dude above me is referring to.

I remember that big BLAZE Battle on HBO, it was like a uncensored battle rap competition, and the dude Eyedea pulled that line out during his rhymes.

"Those ain't even Timbs! Those are mountain gears..."

That ruined a couple kids entire 8th grade year lmao.

Never had mountain gears. I did have the timbs that was taller then the regular ones with no brown patch uptop. I got clowned smh

Back
Top Bottom