The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s an appearances thing. All the other good players in his class already got max extensions and none of them helped their team get to the Finals last season. He probably feels unappreciated and a bit disrespected.
It's this on top of the 4 year extension for CP3, the 4 year extension for Bridges, and now this 4 year extension for Shamet. There is going to be money there for him whether it's in PHX or not next summer, but he definitely should feel disrespected.

Suns now run the risk of him being a bit of a malcontent this year, and even if they do re-sign him next summer, he's not going to forget how they didn't prioritize him. Gives him a reason to want out if things were to go south.

The cautionary story is Gordon Hayward and the Jazz. In 2013, the Jazz couldn't agree to a contract extension which made Hayward a free agent in 2014. The Jazz told him to get a contract offer in free agency from another team. He got one from the Hornets, which the Jazz ended up matching. But it had an opt-out after year three, which Hayward exercised and ended up signing with the Celtics. So the Jazz lost Hayward for nothing a year to two years early.

It's this on top of the 4 year extension for CP3, the 4 year extension for Bridges, and now this 4 year extension for Shamet. There is going to be money there for him whether it's in PHX or not next summer, but he definitely should feel disrespected.

Suns now run the risk of him being a bit of a malcontent this year, and even if they do re-sign him next summer, he's not going to forget how they didn't prioritize him. Gives him a reason to want out if things were to go south.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Shamet hasn't even played a game for the Suns. He's on his 4th team in 4 years and wasn't exactly great last year, particularly in the playoffs. I would be side-eyeing the **** of that extension if I was Ayton. :lol:

The cautionary story is Gordon Hayward and the Jazz. In 2013, the Jazz couldn't agree to a contract extension which made Hayward a free agent in 2014. The Jazz told him to get a contract offer in free agency from another team. He got one from the Hornets, which the Jazz ended up matching. But it had an opt-out after year three, which Hayward exercised and ended up signing with the Celtics. So the Jazz lost Hayward for nothing a year to two years early.
Probably for the best the way things played out.

Something tells me this will not end well for the Suns.

That something is called history

cropped_REUA_048527.jpg

Not mad at the suns of they feel like not paying Max money for 16/11 during the playoff run.

Ayton brought alot to the table, No question. But if the suns think they can match his output with 2 big men for 70m less in total...

Imo

If Ayton has the same year he had last year
but he doesn't luck into two perfect matchups in the playoffs.

are you sure he's getting a restricted max offer?

lots of guys can catch lobs from Chris Paul and play decent defense.

Ayton was 18/11 before CP3. He doesn’t mess with them roids and they were a playoff team the bubble year. CP making him a roll man probably cost him money.

CP ain’t make him. But him being kinda soft looks like is going to cost him money

According to this article from August, the Magic, Spurs, Pistons, Thunder, Grizzlies, and Hornets are all projected to have over $30M in cap space next summer.

He's absolutely getting that max offer sheet.

If Ayton has the same year he had last year
but he doesn't luck into two perfect matchups in the playoffs.

are you sure he's getting a restricted max offer?

lots of guys can catch lobs from Chris Paul and play decent defense.

What happened, happened.

Can come up with hypotheticals to undermine any of the max rookie extensions that have already been signed.

Ayton was 18/11 before CP3. He doesn’t mess with them roids and they were a playoff team the bubble year. CP making him a roll man probably cost him money.

CP ain’t make him. But him being kinda soft looks like is going to cost him money

He was 18/11 on 56% true shooting.

That's below league average True shooting from your center pre Chris Paul

That's def not early max worthy.

Reactions: HIM
He was 18/11 on 56% true shooting.

That's below league average True shooting from your center pre Chris Paul

That's def not early max worthy.

He was at 61% with awful PG play as a rookie.
Again him losing money has a lot to do with him not having that dawg. But they turned that man into Clint Capela in the playoffs. Which in turned hurt the suns because they couldn’t play through him.

He was at 61% with awful PG play as a rookie.
Again him losing money has a lot to do with him not having that dawg. But they turned that man into Clint Capela in the playoffs. Which in turned hurt the suns because they couldn’t play through him.

They turned him into Clint Capela because that's what his current skill level dictates he is.

When he was given the chance to create more for himself in the second year

you got 56% ts, he never gets fouled, plays soft and has no bag in the post.

I'd argue Clint Capela is better right now anyways and he doesn't have a max contract.

Ayton has to prove it, or the market has to force my hand.

No way am I rushing to give him a max extension when I can just wait and see how he looks this year

If you're the Thunder or Pistons, he immediately helps speed up your rebuild.

Poeltl is a nice player, but the Spurs would add Ayton in an instant.

If Charlotte can make the space, it would be a no-brainer addition for them to help get them to that next tier.

Ayton isn’t a max player. Should have taken the deal on the table. At least if he has a few good seasons, he could push for a trade somewhere that will overpay him.

Last edited:
They turned him into Clint Capela because that's what his current skill level dictates he is.

When he was given the chance to create more for himself in the second year

you got 56% ts, he never gets fouled, plays soft and has no bag in the post.

I'd argue Clint Capela is better right now anyways and he doesn't have a max contract.

Ayton has to prove it, or the market has to force my hand.

No way am I rushing to give him a max extension when I can just wait and see how he looks this year

I don’t disagree with any of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom