The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Sigma's 85mm is $1200. I actually thought it'd be $999-$1100. Sort of surprised the 12-24mm Art lens is $1600. I guess that is still cheaper than Canon's 11-24mm at $2900 and it's only off by one millimeter but the Tamron still makes their price that much nicer unless if people really want that distortion. I can't believe how many lenses are out in the market where you don't even need to buy a Canon or Nikon lens anymore.

Sigma's 85mm is $1200. I actually thought it'd be $999-$1100. Sort of surprised the 12-24mm Art lens is $1600. I guess that is still cheaper than Canon's 11-24mm at $2900 and it's only off by one millimeter but the Tamron still makes their price that much nicer unless if people really want that distortion. I can't believe how many lenses are out in the market where you don't even need to buy a Canon or Nikon lens anymore.

what is the first third party lens company that comes to mind when recommending one?

Man tamrons 15-30 is my favorite lens they make.

i'll still take Canon's 11-24mm f/4 over the 3rd party options if I needed that type of wide angle.

$1,200 for sigmas 85mm :rofl: i'd rather get a used canon 85L and not play the "hopefully i get a good copy" game.

its definitely really cool that the 3rd party options are stronger than they've ever been and only continue to get stronger. Makes the OEMs need to continue to set the bar

^^^I agree. OEM stuff is great but their prices are just insane. The Canon 35mm L ii comes to mind where I don't know who would get that over say a cheaper lens that produces marginally less quality photos. I assume if you had the money, then get the best stuff out but that price just doesn't make sense to me. Same with the Canon 16-35mm iii for $2,199.

what is the first third party lens company that comes to mind when recommending one?

Sigma and Tamron and even Tokina for the crop sensor guys. But it all depends on the shooter and even their budget. Some people would even recommend Rokinon for a wide angle lens solution.

Here is the breakdown of Photokina per Tony Northrup.

^^^I agree. OEM stuff is great but their prices are just insane. The Canon 35mm L ii comes to mind where I don't know who would get that over say a cheaper lens that produces marginally less quality photos. I assume if you had the money, then get the best stuff out but that price just doesn't make sense to me. Same with the Canon 16-35mm iii for $2,199.

Sigma and Tamron and even Tokina for the crop sensor guys. But it all depends on the shooter and even their budget. Some people would even recommend Rokinon for a wide angle lens solution.

There's a few edge cases where buying a brand new OEM lens doesn't make any sense.

I think for a working pro photographer, buying OEM stuff should be pretty close to a no brainer. Huge tax write off.

I think for any enthusiast buying 3rd party should be a no brainer.

I tend to fall right in the middle and opt for used OEM equipment. For example, I got my 24-70 2.8L II and my 70-200 2.8L IS II for both under 1600 (each**)... Both had barely been used and showed no sign of use at all.

I literally would have paid more to get the tamron versions and ultimately be unhappy and wanting the canon versions.

Last edited:

cool thanks. i know those brands but never looked into them much. will do that now

^^^^Everyone online is saying $10K for the body. Honestly depending on the camera, I'd definitely get that over a Leica but I can't really afford to get either, so I guess that doesn't matter. Haha.

I do love how every camera company is stepping up and making some crazy gear. Only so many years ago, people would only get a Canon or Nikon and now so many other companies are coming with some great and unique things.

Yeah, I definitely agree. If it's 10k, might as well go fro the Hasselblad.

But damn, check out the keynote here. A lot of cool stuff. Not sure if the video was posted yet.

Last edited:
So I bought a Sony A6000 with kit lens a week ago. I was messing around with it to get accustomed since I'm new to photography and never used anything apart from auto mode on smartphones.Using Manual was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Unfortunately, I dropped it. About a foot high while sitting down and now the kit lens is bent and won't retract. The camera says it doesn't recognize the lens either.

I was going to use that lens for a bit but now I'm in the market for a new lens a lot sooner than I wanted.

I'm looking at the SEL35F18 as my go to lens. Expensive as hell but I think it pays of in the long run compared to the SEL50F18 but I'm not an expert.

Also is it worth trying to repair the kit lens or getting a replacement?

Last edited:
So I bought a Sony A6000 with kit lens a week ago. I was messing around with it to get accustomed since I'm new to photography and never used anything apart from auto mode on smartphones.Using Manual was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Unfortunately, I dropped it. About a foot high while sitting down and now the kit lens is bent and won't retract. The camera says it doesn't recognize the lens either.

I was going to use that lens for a bit but now I'm in the market for a new lens a lot sooner than I wanted.

I'm looking at the SEL35F18 as my go to lens. Expensive as hell but I think it pays of in the long run compared to the SEL50F18 but I'm not an expert.

Tbh i would get the 35 since you Are on crop sensor. 50mm is great but for me on canon crop sensor i cant get the shot i want sometimes since i cant step back far enough. Especially indoors. Since i like doing urban street portaits i often have to be in the street to get the shot and usually cant since theres cars. I just cant always get the enviroment in the shot. For a closer portait 50mm works well.

Usually i would suggest a 50mm 1.8 due to the aperture allowing more light. For people new to photography which i am one myself i suggest the 50mm. Now since both lenses have the same aperture i would get the 35.

Maybe i am giving the wrong suggestion but thats how i see it

Last edited:

Lens is terrible anyway. Look into the Sigma trinity primes, much cheaper than the native Sony Emount lenses. 19mm for a street lens, 30 for the standard focal length, 60mm for portraits. Can grab them cheap via Fred Miranda. Can't be beat for the price.

Lens is terrible anyway. Look into the Sigma trinity primes, much cheaper than the native Sony Emount lenses. 19mm for a street lens, 30 for the standard focal length, 60mm for portraits. Can grab them cheap via Fred Miranda. Can't be beat for the price.

I looked at the sigma line and while I love the price, people seem to think that the larger aperture and OSS is worth the extra money so I sort of disregarded it but I can't say for sure if it's the best thing to do.

Last edited:

you prolly can scoop a replacement for the zoom cheaper than a repair, you could also try to disassemble the lens yourself, if you are mechanically inclined, to see if you can figure out a fix for it...

if the sel35f18 is pushing up against your budget, you could also look at these joints; none of these are quite as good performers as the sel35f18 or sel50f18 though:

sel16f28 -24mm equivalent on 35mm, really compact lens sharp in the center but the corners usually are no good but could be snagged for around $150 used

sigma 19mm f2.8 art -28mm equivalent on 35mm, also pretty compact & sharper than both the 16 & 20mm with better sharpness across the entire frame, you can find these prolly under $200 used

sel24f18z -36mm equivalent on 35mm, maybe the best prime lense for apsc sony's, expensive though around $700 used

sel20f28 -30mm equivalent on 35mm, even smaller than the 16mm & sharper in the center than the 16mm with slightly better the corners too, but more expensive at around $300 used

the sel28f2 - 42mm equivalent on 35mm, great lens but it is for full frame, still a quality lens & a good value for under $400 used

sel30m35 -45mm equivalent on 35mm, macro lens so it is pretty sharp & you can focus super close, but autofocus can be slow but it is a pretty good value for under $200 used

sigma 30 mm f2.8 art -45mm equivalent on 35mm, also pretty compact, awesome value at around $150 used

sigma 60 mm f2.8 art -90mm equivalent on 35mm, also pretty compact, really good value at under $250 used

I looked at the sigma line and while I love the price, people seem to think that the larger aperture and OSS is worth the extra money so I sort of disregarded it but I can't say for sure if it's the best thing to do.

the faster aperture & oss definitely comes in handy but if sony's 35 is challenging your budget you have to decide whether those things are worth basically double the price...there is also the buyer's remorse if you decide on something else & the sel35f18 is what you really want...if you are cool with manual focus, one of the benefits of mirrorless is you can put older quality lenses at a fraction of the cost with adapters...

Anyone ever shoot with a Micro 4/3 crop factor?

Looking at the Panasonic GH4.

No but someone i talked to someone who does video and they said its picture quality sucks. Im not much help but the focus was on video with it from what i know

you prolly can scoop a replacement for the zoom cheaper than a repair, you could also try to disassemble the lens yourself, if you are mechanically inclined, to see if you can figure out a fix for it...

if the sel35f18 is pushing up against your budget, you could also look at these joints; none of these are quite as good performers as the sel35f18 or sel50f18 though:

sel16f28 -24mm equivalent on 35mm, really compact lens sharp in the center but the corners usually are no good but could be snagged for around $150 used

sigma 19mm f2.8 art -28mm equivalent on 35mm, also pretty compact & sharper than both the 16 & 20mm with better sharpness across the entire frame, you can find these prolly under $200 used

sel24f18z -36mm equivalent on 35mm, maybe the best prime lense for apsc sony's, expensive though around $700 used

sel20f28 -30mm equivalent on 35mm, even smaller than the 16mm & sharper in the center than the 16mm with slightly better the corners too, but more expensive at around $300 used

the sel28f2 - 42mm equivalent on 35mm, great lens but it is for full frame, still a quality lens & a good value for under $400 used

sel30m35 -45mm equivalent on 35mm, macro lens so it is pretty sharp & you can focus super close, but autofocus can be slow but it is a pretty good value for under $200 used

sigma 30 mm f2.8 art -45mm equivalent on 35mm, also pretty compact, awesome value at around $150 used

sigma 60 mm f2.8 art -90mm equivalent on 35mm, also pretty compact, really good value at under $250 used
the faster aperture & oss definitely comes in handy but if sony's 35 is challenging your budget you have to decide whether those things are worth basically double the price...there is also the buyer's remorse if you decide on something else & the sel35f18 is what you really want...if you are cool with manual focus, one of the benefits of mirrorless is you can put older quality lenses at a fraction of the cost with adapters...

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll be getting the sigma 19mm f2.8 and then pair it with the SEL35f18 later on.

That should cover me.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art - Hands on + Sample images

EDIT -- Disappointing how much color fringing there is on a lens that is so freaking expensive.

Doesn't seem to have a ton of vignette, although i don't mind that in large aperture lenses.

Auto focus seems really fast which is pretty cool.

On the images he posted, when hit hits focus right on the eye ball its crazy sharp! :pimp:

Last edited:
^^^^I just saw that video during my lunch break on my phone. Did you download the files? Is the fringing that bad? That does suck but wouldn't be a total deciding factor since that can be corrected fairly easy. Still, at this point, lenses should all not have that issue.

Granger is really going at it by posting tons of stuff there at Photokina. He was here in SF a years back. Was going to go to his photo walk but didn't have the time.

Back
Top Bottom