The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Gear gear gear

pretty excited about getting more information about this, it looks like it solves one of the most cumbersome aspects of the current generation of consumer uavs; convenient portability...crazy how he is flying in nyc, the whole island is supposedly a no flight zone?

#sidebar, it's wild it wasn't too long ago that i hadn't ever heard of casey neistat, now i see this dude everywhere; it is impressive how influential this dude has been in the youtubes, so many follow his blueprint...

jeez, look at all the glass on that sigma 85...its massive!

Will the 24mm efs work as a portrait lense? Like when i want to get more of the scene in the image? Like street portaits or indoor? Want to get a lense where im not constantly backing up because a lot of times i cant back up far enough

Will the 24mm efs work as a portrait lense? Like when i want to get more of the scene in the image? Like street portaits or indoor? Want to get a lense where im not constantly backing up because a lot of times i cant back up far enough

environmental portrait lens to give context to a scene yes

please dont take a close up of someone at 24mm

So I bought a Sony A6000 with kit lens a week ago. I was messing around with it to get accustomed since I'm new to photography and never used anything apart from auto mode on smartphones.Using Manual was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

Unfortunately, I dropped it. About a foot high while sitting down and now the kit lens is bent and won't retract. The camera says it doesn't recognize the lens either.

I was going to use that lens for a bit but now I'm in the market for a new lens a lot sooner than I wanted.

I'm looking at the SEL35F18 as my go to lens. Expensive as hell but I think it pays of in the long run compared to the SEL50F18 but I'm not an expert.

Also is it worth trying to repair the kit lens or getting a replacement?

I have both the SEL35F18 and the SEL50F18. I would tell you to forget about the 50 and go with the 35mm. The crop plays a big factor. I bought my 35mm because the 50mm was too long for a walk around lens. Since I bought the 35mm, the 50mm does not see any camera time.

Tbh i would get the 35 since you Are on crop sensor. 50mm is great but for me on canon crop sensor i cant get the shot i want sometimes since i cant step back far enough. Especially indoors. Since i like doing urban street portaits i often have to be in the street to get the shot and usually cant since theres cars. I just cant always get the enviroment in the shot. For a closer portait 50mm works well.

Usually i would suggest a 50mm 1.8 due to the aperture allowing more light. For people new to photography which i am one myself i suggest the 50mm. Now since both lenses have the same aperture i would get the 35.

Maybe i am giving the wrong suggestion but thats how i see it

Bingo.

Lens is terrible anyway. Look into the Sigma trinity primes, much cheaper than the native Sony Emount lenses. 19mm for a street lens, 30 for the standard focal length, 60mm for portraits. Can grab them cheap via Fred Miranda. Can't be beat for the price.

I disagree. The 35mm is a great lens. It has some fringing, but on an A6000, I'm not looking for it to outperform my D810 with 50mm on it. The Sony combo is sharp, lightweight and discreet.

I shoot portraits and there is nothing like a long lens. Period.

I'm getting a bit annoyed by my strap - most of what I do is landscap so it just gets in the way on a tripod but I'm hesitant to remove it because sometimes it's useful to carry it around my neck. Anyone got any good ideas? I've been looking at quick release straps but they don't look too sturdy. Is there a good option that is easily removable but doesn't take up the tripod mount?

Just picket up the Zeiss 55mm 1.8. Thinking about selling my 85mm Batis now. Already sold my 50mm 1.8. It was trash. Here is a picture with the 55mm. Love this dam thing already

Which 50 did you sell??
This one. It just came out in June I think.

I'm getting a bit annoyed by my strap - most of what I do is landscap so it just gets in the way on a tripod but I'm hesitant to remove it because sometimes it's useful to carry it around my neck. Anyone got any good ideas? I've been looking at quick release straps but they don't look too sturdy. Is there a good option that is easily removable but doesn't take up the tripod mount?

have you thought about hand straps? the strap is getting in my way now that i have a flip out screen so i might get one of these. i have a cousin who uses one and loves it. said its great for portraits and landscapes

https://osirisandco.com/

I heard nothing but bad reviews on that. No wonder you sold it lol. I skipped on it, I'm waiting for the new AF Rokinon or might get the 55 Zeiss.

that af rokinon 50 is supposed to be pretty good (its got noisy AF motors), but that 55 is one of the sharpest lenses out (almost silent AF), i think with the price drop of the zeiss, it is definitely an awesome value...

Anyone ever shoot with a Micro 4/3 crop factor?

Looking at the Panasonic GH4.
I had a GF2 a few years ago. Took good pictures was very nice to use. Not as controllable as a DSLR but nice. Would still use it if it wasn't water damaged. Put some fresh steamed crawfish in the same bag as my cam. It smelled nice for a while *cries*

I heard nothing but bad reviews on that. No wonder you sold it lol. I skipped on it, I'm waiting for the new AF Rokinon or might get the 55 Zeiss.

that af rokinon 50 is supposed to be pretty good (its got noisy AF motors), but that 55 is one of the sharpest lenses out (almost silent AF), i think with the price drop of the zeiss, it is definitely an awesome value...
That 55mm is a beast. Everything I Shoot on it comes out sharp. Didn't miss a shot.

I know I've been saying this for a while (this summer with the new baby and travel did no pan out the way I was expecting) but I'll be getting my cam soon and I plan on doing some budoir shots with my wife and I'm super excited. She got some new boots a month ago and I been plotting every since.

I gotta expand my work experience as I get ready to rebuild my portfolio back up. Found one studio that's gonna be fun to use, but it's higher cost than I like but there's another that I'm interested in that's way more affordable but I want to visit it first. Anybody rent or own studios?

I know I've been saying this for a while (this summer with the new baby and travel did no pan out the way I was expecting) but I'll be getting my cam soon and I plan on doing some budoir shots with my wife and I'm super excited. She got some new boots a month ago and I been plotting every since.

I gotta expand my work experience as I get ready to rebuild my portfolio back up. Found one studio that's gonna be fun to use, but it's higher cost than I like but there's another that I'm interested in that's way more affordable but I want to visit it first. Anybody rent or own studios?

Why not set up your master bedroom ?

Another option is booking a night at a very nice hotel.

Prefer a studio setting. Considered the hotel idea for model shoots. Plus the studio I'll be using will be cheaper for a few hours than a night's rate. The larger studio is $350 for a day and the smaller is $200ish for the day with it also being $200 and $70ish respectably for half days.

I'm just going for the white background for these pics. I'll be picking through Model Mayhem once I get rolling getting some more themes and ideas out.

Prefer a studio setting. Considered the hotel idea for model shoots. Plus the studio I'll be using will be cheaper for a few hours than a night's rate. The larger studio is $350 for a day and the smaller is $200ish for the day with it also being $200 and $70ish respectably for half days.

I'm just going for the white background for these pics. I'll be picking through Model Mayhem once I get rolling getting some more themes and ideas out.

Ah i got ya. I like boudoir on fancy beds and furniture. IMO the environment adds a lot to a boudoir shoot.

Last one I did was actually in the brides own bedroom :lol: :pimp:

I remember the first time I heard Boudoir, I was like why not say lingerie. LoL

THIS!!!! Most brides just ask for "sexy pics" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom