The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

if money was not a factor, i would shoot 100% sony mirrorless.

Their lens library is very sufficient & anything they dont have I could use the canon version w/ an adapter.

Alright NT< I need your help.

I am thinking of proposing in Paris on Sep 7th. We will be pressed for time because we are also doing Rome and London in that EuroTrip.

I am looking to do an Engagement Photo Session early in the day around Sunrise by the Eiffel Tower. (We are staying 10 Mins away walking Distance)

1) What is the typical going rate, do photographers charge by the hour?

2) Typically, how many photos are included?

3) Do any of you NT'ers have a contact in Paris to recommend?

I am thinking of proposing in Paris on Sep 7th. We will be pressed for time because we are also doing Rome and London in that EuroTrip.

I am looking to do an Engagement Photo Session early in the day around Sunrise by the Eiffel Tower. (We are staying 10 Mins away walking Distance)

I did an engagement shoot in Paris back in February. This is sort of my take on it.

Finding a photographer in Paris is easy. It's a city that breeds that kind of business out there so if you google "Paris photographers engagement shoot", you'll get a lot of them. The hardest part is to pick the right person and for the right price and that is where my wife and I chose wrong I guess. We spent close to $700 or so for a 2 hour session. I honestly forget how we found our photographer but we did book based on his rate since most rates were in the $1K range. We went during sunrise and went to a 2nd location and probably got about 250-300 photos but only like 10-15 were decent. Unfortunately I could have shot better photos than him. He just messed up on focus and even edited our stuff pretty poorly.

So just be careful about choosing your photographer. Unfortunately you might pay for what you get out there. I know $700 isn't cheap by any means but the good photographers know they are good and will price way more. I would just start Googling people right away and narrow down a couple and start asking them to setup an appointment. Mostly likely the'll want to do a facetime talk with you before and then you'll just meet them there on the day of the shoot.

I did an engagement shoot in Paris back in February. This is sort of my take on it.

Finding a photographer in Paris is easy. It's a city that breeds that kind of business out there so if you google "Paris photographers engagement shoot", you'll get a lot of them. The hardest part is to pick the right person and for the right price and that is where my wife and I chose wrong I guess. We spent close to $700 or so for a 2 hour session. I honestly forget how we found our photographer but we did book based on his rate since most rates were in the $1K range. We went during sunrise and went to a 2nd location and probably got about 250-300 photos but only like 10-15 were decent. Unfortunately I could have shot better photos than him. He just messed up on focus and even edited our stuff pretty poorly.

So just be careful about choosing your photographer. Unfortunately you might pay for what you get out there. I know $700 isn't cheap by any means but the good photographers know they are good and will price way more. I would just start Googling people right away and narrow down a couple and start asking them to setup an appointment. Mostly likely the'll want to do a facetime talk with you before and then you'll just meet them there on the day of the shoot.

^^ Thx for the info, that's what I'm currently doing. Just googling it. But Idk if there are websites out there that match you like Thumbtack here in the US.

I will be sending alot of emails out soon.

Ridiculously I'm still in an airport - now in Chicago after my flight yesterday was cancelled.

The rules say that Lithium batteries can't go in the hold - but no-one wanted to see them. I have both of mine in my battery grip attached to the camera along with 3 lenses, cable release, flash unit, 10 AA hybrid batteries, and a bunch of little things and they didn't even want me to unzip it.

IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG

Hope you made it home alright. I was at O'Hare yesterday and my flight was delayed 3 hours, needed to be re-routed. Should have been home around 930ish, didnt get in till 130 (I went to work, and thankfully my boss sent me home).

I didnt have any problems checking my stuff through....although I suspect that will change with these new TSA regulations as they are phased in.

that's a nice little trip. How many days are you doing?

There are tons of photographers there like Fong said. You see them at the tower or Trocadero where you would actually want to be at Sunrise to get dope photos. You also see them at the Louvre during sunset and night ...

Hope you choose wisely nothing worst than a disappointing photo shoot.
Screenshot_2017-08-03-13-07-34.png

How do you learn to edit to make your photos look more professional?

This is from my phone btw
IMG_20170804_141629.jpg

Practice. Also depends on what you mean by professional. Most editing won't fix missed focus shots or poorly composed shots.

I prefer higher contrasted shots, or as I call em "Hyper Real". Pretty much just like that shot you posted. I want my shots to look like I grabbed a moment out of the air and printed it off.

Either toy around in your editing software or watch some vids on YouTube and you'll find your groove

I was delayed about 6 hours in O'Hare (so a 9 hour layover!). Tremendous waste of time. Could have seen the sights if I'd known in advance. Haven't been to Chicago in nearly 20 years.

Finally landed home at 11am - 39 hours after starting the trip. 20 minutes at home then had to go to work!

Slept like a baby last night but the jet lag is brutal. I'm exhausted again today. Looking forward to not getting up early tomorrow.

IMG_20170804_141629.jpg

Little things help - like having less random people in the shot. In that shot I would have taken a couple (manual mode to lock the settings) and cloned the ones at the side out.

But, I think the most important thing is composition - and that is the hardest part to get right. Great photos aren't always technically the best - but artistically.

Your horizon is off which makes it look amateur. That's hard to get spot on with a phone but easy to fix after. That is about the easiest thing to remedy, the rest is about practice.

YouTube videos are best. Personally I would of taken one or two steps back to get more into the shot. I know exactly where that is. :lol:

Thanks. I was on my lunch break and just decided to take the shot. I'll probably take it again Monday and use your advice.

IMG_20170804_141629.jpg
Honestly speaking you have to start with something worth editing. Meaning a good composition, lighting, interesting, landmark, etc picture. You don't need to have all those in a picture but 1 is needed 2 or more prefer.

In the picture you posted no offense, I see none of those ...

I know where's that at and I feel like I'm lost in the picture. I don't know what to look at.

1. Random people bottoms left
2. Not a good compose picture
3. Hard shadows on the left makes the symmetry off
4. No real subject

A few other things, if you can fix that you'll make the picture better.

I'm not a pro but that's my thoughts when looking at an image. Trust that i sometimes love image that others don't see the beauty so take my advice with a grain of salt.

It was Rockefeller Center. The shadows are there because of the buildings on the North side of the plaza are taller than the ones to the South. The focus was supposed to be the sculpture in the back of the skating rink.

Any mirrorless cameras worth getting these days or should I keep waiting?

depends on what you are trying to do/want?

Pretty much Sony for full frame or Fuji for crop. Fuji at least has a really good lens library.

at this point, other than the canon & nikon mirrorless, every system has a good library of lenses...though i do think fuji's lenses/system have a particular appeal for some

I really appreciate the effort Fuji puts into their sensors though, really different design than others

But if you need video too then def Sony since they offer IS

with many of their previous generation cameras, it used to be true that fuji sensors were designed differently (i forget the particulars but their sensors read color differently that traditional sensors, #doyourgoogles if you want the specifics), but this also caused some difficulties with post-processors, now they basically use the same sensors as every one else but put their own color science on top of it...

Their lens library is very sufficient & anything they dont have I could use the canon version w/ an adapter.

this is definitely one of the strengths of the sony system...while it is technically possible for all mirrorless to adapt lenses, because of the enthusiasm around all the capabilities packed into sony cameras, there is much more development going on to adapt other lenses specifically to sony cameras

Some of what I shot the couple of days I had a chance to walk around downtown Chicago. Im sitting on/skimming through about 500 files I shot in the 2 days I was able to during my 4 there.

Some pics from my four days in Chicago. Wish I could have captured more. #chicago #windycity #city #cityscape #street #sky #chitown by Michael Rios, on Flickr

Some pics from my four days in Chicago. Wish I could have captured more. #chicago #windycity #city #cityscape #street #sky #chitown by Michael Rios, on Flickr

which pizza joint did you hit and how did you like the go? for the pics it's a very minor ting and usually easily correctable, but look out for the color fringing on the right side of these magenta on the 1st, green on the 2nd...

Side project from last weekend of my friends performance.

All the footage was filmed with the 5D mk4 and edited on final cut pro x.

depends on what you are trying to do/want?

at this point, other than the canon & nikon mirrorless, every system has a good library of lenses...though i do think fuji's lenses/system have a particular appeal for some

with many of their previous generation cameras, it used to be true that fuji sensors were designed differently (i forget the particulars but their sensors read color differently that traditional sensors, #doyourgoogles if you want the specifics), but this also caused some difficulties with post-processors, now they basically use the same sensors as every one else but put their own color science on top of it...

this is definitely one of the strengths of the sony system...while it is technically possible for all mirrorless to adapt lenses, because of the enthusiasm around all the capabilities packed into sony cameras, there is much more development going on to adapt other lenses specifically to sony cameras

which pizza joint did you hit and how did you like the go? for the pics it's a very minor ting and usually easily correctable, but look out for the color fringing on the right side of these magenta on the 1st, green on the 2nd...

I hit Pequods, Art of Pizza, and a few others.....Pequods was probably my favorite. Also ate a few steakhouses in Rosemont by O'hare. Appreciate the points you made about the color fringing. At times I tend to overlook it. I guess I was so worked up to edit and get them out there.....Appreciate it

Everyone got cool scenery photos to post, Looking like traveling photographers that wear glasses and have beards and a button up dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up

Meanwhile I'm still over here practicing on sneakers outside in a wifebeater and some nike flip flops

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

I feel like I could have taken these with a regular iphone camera
Really need to bring out the full potential of the camera

I tried using a 5d eos and that was intense
And the Canon Powershot Mark iii was more of a vlog camera pretty good
But I still need to explore the rebel t6

Last edited:
Any tip for long range photos
I tried it and I feel I leave the background to blurry and when it's not to blurry I think it takes away from the object

How to Determine the right amount is the question

It was Rockefeller Center. The shadows are there because of the buildings on the North side of the plaza are taller than the ones to the South. The focus was supposed to be the sculpture in the back of the skating rink.

Wrong time of day then - land/city scapes take patience. Sometimes you see a nice angle but the light is no good. Try again later and it will look totally different.

Any tip for long range photos
I tried it and I feel I leave the background to blurry and when it's not to blurry I think it takes away from the object

How to Determine the right amount is the question

Maybe keep the aperture at f/20 or something? Not sure I know exactly what you mean. Post up an example shot

Maybe keep the aperture at f/20 or something? Not sure I know exactly what you mean. Post up an example shot
IMG_0145.JPG

The left side is a bit more clearer than the right side
I just see it as an unbalanced effect

At this distance I'm about 4 or 5 ft out

This is with the AF so I probably should start messing with MF instead to get a good balance

Back
Top Bottom