The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Thats actually why i've gone BACK to iOS and OS X.

I just need a clean, reliable, and ridged OS to keep my wheels turning.

I love my custom built from the ground up PC and its VERY fun.... but mannnnnnn is the peace of mind of OS X nice.

with the changes in the upcoming ios 11 update, ipad (pros) will make a maybe lil' more sense as a standalone device, i definitely agree on the rigidness of ios, that's the reason i could not go back to using an iphone...but for tablets the i think the rigidness kinda works in its favor, the platform and the apps generally seem more stable, most apps are quality, new apps are pushed almost exclusively to ios 1st, development tends to be both faster, often brings new functionality, updates more often and easier than android, which depending on what device, manufacturer, version of android is on a device is on certain things are not available...the (closed) apple ecosystem makes things (sometimes frustratingly so) simple.

what things would you want to do with an android tablet that you couldn't do with an ipad? or to put another way what benefits would the openness of android be beneficial?

What kind of desktop rigs do you guys have set up? I currently do all of my post on my iPad Air 2 and 2014 Macbook Pro retina. Looking at potentially getting a 27in iMac 5k...anyone have one and opinions on it?

Thats actually why i've gone BACK to iOS and OS X.

I just need a clean, reliable, and ridged OS to keep my wheels turning.

I love my custom built from the ground up PC and its VERY fun.... but mannnnnnn is the peace of mind of OS X nice.

with the changes in the upcoming ios 11 update, ipad (pros) will make a maybe lil' more sense as a standalone device, i definitely agree on the rigidness of ios, that's the reason i could not go back to using an iphone...but for tablets the i think the rigidness kinda works in its favor, the platform and the apps generally seem more stable, most apps are quality, new apps are pushed almost exclusively to ios 1st, development tends to be both faster, often brings new functionality, updates more often and easier than android, which depending on what device, manufacturer, version of android is on a device is on certain things are not available...the (closed) apple ecosystem makes things (sometimes frustratingly so) simple.

what things would you want to do with an android tablet that you couldn't do with an ipad? or to put another way what benefits would the openness of android be beneficial?

Y'all both make good points. Makes me see that it's more of a comfort than it is a "better" situation. Haven't used a IOS device in a year or so so I may be outdated on my critiques. One of the main issues I feel I'll run into is with Android I'll have the option of "finding" free paid apps and Apple doen't quite have that freedom. As well as I use Google Rewards to pay for the full/pro apps that I do pay for instead of paying for em out of pocket.

But I def am takin' y'all words into consideration, good thing I was gonna take my time before picking something up

What kind of desktop rigs do you guys have set up? I currently do all of my post on my iPad Air 2 and 2014 Macbook Pro retina. Looking at potentially getting a 27in iMac 5k...anyone have one and opinions on it?

Here's a link to everything in my PC build
http://amzn.to/2vCjVge

I also have a 2014 15" macbook pro that my wife basically took over :rofl:

I am also going to buy in the next couple of weeks a 2017 15" macbook pro with the fully upgraded processor... i think 3.1 i7 / 512gb pcie ssd / 16gb RAM / 2gb video card

mannnnnnn is the peace of mind of OS X nice.

agreed! at least until you run into a problem, then it can be an expensive hassle...

got a custom retina imac from 2014, it was pretty beastly until the harddrive started acting up...and any potential upgrades are an endeavor to invite risk because of how the imacs are put together (this might have changed with the newer imacs?), but when it worked it was awesome to see the crispness of that awesome screen, but there is the obvious apple premium...

Haven't used a IOS device in a year or so so I may be outdated on my critiques. One of the main issues I feel I'll run into is with Android I'll have the option of "finding" free paid apps and Apple doen't quite have that freedom.

that is probably true, but because more people actually spend money with ios i find the paid apps to be generally worth the money and definitely of a higher quality, for the reasons previously stated. honestly, if the goal is a smooth process for mobile it would seem an ipad, surface, or just a laptop would the best options...

Last edited:
I hate that feeling when you decide on something then somebody come and ruin it with logic and sound reasoning lol

I got another month or so before I purchase anything so I have time to decide.

^aha, just trying to be helpful...not saying the galaxy tab couldn't very well do what you need i would just say #doyagoogles about the pros & cons as it relates to which platform will best get you where you trying to go...

Last edited:
Googles is gettin' did over these next couple of weeks although I know what they'll all say. iPad Pro is a better device practically on all facets except no SD card slot. I believe I can find a reader to solve that problem tho.

Thoughts? Tried using the advice given a few days ago. I may have sharpened it too much.

IMG_20170808_140703.jpg

It's overly sharp to me but remember more importantly than impressing us is finding the style you like. If you like the sharp look go with it. There's a market for all photographers to scratch out their own groove

Yeah get a style you like and make it your own. If you want to over sharpen it then do so but also set a tone of how you like your shots to look like. I would also suggest go vertical. Pick a subject and make it pop, like the Rockefeller building.

Here's a link to everything in my PC build
http://amzn.to/2vCjVge

I also have a 2014 15" macbook pro that my wife basically took over :rofl:

I am also going to buy in the next couple of weeks a 2017 15" macbook pro with the fully upgraded processor... i think 3.1 i7 / 512gb pcie ssd / 16gb RAM / 2gb video card

If it's in your budget I'd highly recommend going with 1TB instead of 512GB.

After a while I really regretted not going with 1TB on mine.

Or unless you'll be plugging in an external HD to keep everything instead of internal you should be fine.

Decided to make the switch from Canon to Sony.......Will be purchasing an A7II beginning of September. Rather then the 28-70 kit lens....whats a good alternative zoom lens? Once I get sell Canon gear (2 70Ds, 5 of the cheaper lenses....1 of the bodies brand new/never opened which is going to a friend for $700)....I figure after purchasing the A7II itself, Ill have about $1600 left to play with. Would appreciate some prime lens suggestions.

Last edited:
Decided to make the switch from Canon to Sony.......Will be purchasing an A7II beginning of September. Rather then the 28-70 kit lens....whats a good alternative zoom lens? Once I get sell Canon gear (2 70Ds, 5 of the cheaper lenses....1 of the bodies brand new/never opened which is going to a friend for $700)....I figure after purchasing the A7II itself, Ill have about $1600 left to play with. Would appreciate some prime lens suggestions.

if you are looking to stay with a native lens, there are the 24-70s, the f4 zeiss version you could prolly scoop for sub $900 used-even though it isn't really said to be up to the zeiss branding (though it does have internal lens stabilization) and the f2.8 version is well over a couple stacks...there is also the 24-240 zoom at around $700-800 used, but a 10x zoom comes with trade offs usual with many super zooms.

as for primes, makes sense take into account what fav lens(es) you been to rocking and seek out the sony version(s)

Last edited:
Mini trip with a friend yesterday. We've been wanting to check out this tree for a while which is a couple of hours away. Not a great day but I think I got something decent out of it. We're going to go back later in the year when it should be sticking out of the water.

if you are looking to stay with a native lens, there are the 24-70s, the f4 zeiss version you could prolly scoop for sub $900 used-even though it isn't really said to be up to the zeiss branding (though it does have internal lens stabilization) and the f2.8 version is well over a couple stacks...there is also the 24-240 zoom at around $700-800 used, but a 10x zoom comes with trade offs usual with many zooms.

as for primes, makes sense take into account what fav lens(es) you been to rocking and seek out the sony version(s)

Appreciate the feedback, it’s something I’ve gone back and forth with....for the past year. I love my 70Ds, but feel as though I’ve outgrown them....doesn’t feel like Canon has moved the bar along as fast as I would have hoped.

Welcome to sony bro. As it's been mentioned the 24-70 f4 is a great lens. I know you shoot a lot of street so the 16-35 is also a good option. The rokinon 14 2.8 is a good cheap alternative. If you're looking for prime the 28 is the cheapest option and it's a good light lens. 55 is great for portrait. If you look for these used on Craigslist, fb marketplace etc. it'll help your pockets

Welcome to sony bro. As it's been mentioned the 24-70 f4 is a great lens. I know you shoot a lot of street so the 16-35 is also a good option. The rokinon 14 2.8 is a good cheap alternative. If you're looking for prime the 28 is the cheapest option and it's a good light lens. 55 is great for portrait. If you look for these used on Craigslist, fb marketplace etc. it'll help your pockets

Apprecite it bro....gonna pick it up end of the month. There’s OT to be had at work...so clocking in as much as possible.

I was looking at the 16-35mm.....might pick that up and run with that for the time being until I get my funds up again for some primes.

I got locked in on the Sony system after messing around with my friends A7r this past weekend. All he had so far aside from the kit lens was the Samyang 35mm 2.8. I was impressed by the image quality. Menu system and settings will take some getting used to once it’s in my hands....but in my experiences...trial and error is the best teacher. For those running with Sony system....what are your lens setups looking like?

Back
Top Bottom