The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Wrong time of day then - land/city scapes take patience. Sometimes you see a nice angle but the light is no good. Try again later and it will look totally different.

Yeah, I'm going to have to try early in the day on my way to work. At that time of the day, the shadows sit there for hours.

The left side is a bit more clearer than the right side
I just see it as an unbalanced effect

At this distance I'm about 4 or 5 ft out

This is with the AF so I probably should start messing with MF instead to get a good balance

What was your aperture at for this shot? The focus was on the shoes so you can't have the background in focus unless you stack focus. I could be wrong here and someone correct me if so.

What was your aperture at for this shot? The focus was on the shoes so you can't have the background in focus unless you stack focus. I could be wrong here and someone correct me if so.
IMG_20170806_010133.jpg

Standard setting still good or should I try a new setting

Standard setting still good or should I try a new setting

Put the dial at the top to "AV" mode and set it to 22. The shutter speed will automatically change to compensate for the new aperture. Take the same shot and see what type of result you get. Might not be exactly what you're looking for since the focus will still be directly on the shoes but you could have more focus in the background.

Edit: you might not be able to go all the way up to 22 but just go as high as you can. Basically the larger the number the aperture gets narrow and you get a higher depth of field.

https://photography.tutsplus.com/ar...and-choosing-a-lens-for-under-500--photo-3504

Last edited:
I know I’m not alone when it comes to enjoyment of shooting sunrises/sunsets along with city & landscapes. A nice sky can add epic effect to shots like that....however....I do enjoy shooting when it’s overcast. No shadows to consider really, the white balance feels on-point (at least to me, we all have different eyes)

Put the dial at the top to "AV" mode and set it to 22. The shutter speed will automatically change to compensate for the new aperture. Take the same shot and see what type of result you get. Might not be exactly what you're looking for since the focus will still be directly on the shoes but you could have more focus in the background.

Edit: you might not be able to go all the way up to 22 but just go as high as you can. Basically the larger the number the aperture gets narrow and you get a higher depth of field.

https://photography.tutsplus.com/ar...and-choosing-a-lens-for-under-500--photo-3504

We've had this discussion before and I disagree.

He's right that it's a focus issue - but it's partly due to the aperture used.

While it's true that smaller apertures give a greater depth of field you start introducing issues with diffraction so it makes the photo worse.

You want to be at the optimum aperture for your lens -that can take some experimenting but it's usually around F/8-10. Then I would focus at the hyperfocal distance. Either focus a third of the way into the scene or get a calculator. I know that at F/8 and 17mm that my regular lens needs focussed at 2m and then the whole scene will be sharp (technically it's all "good enough" as you can't focus on everything obviously). That would appear to work for your shoes.

My canoe picture a couple of pages back was done like that - the canoes were only about 6 feet away from me.

If that didn't work then move back a little and try again. You can crop the photo a bit if you need to be slightly further away for focus.

Takes the guessing out of it too which I like.

depends on what you are trying to do/want?

at this point, other than the canon & nikon mirrorless, every system has a good library of lenses...though i do think fuji's lenses/system have a particular appeal for some

with many of their previous generation cameras, it used to be true that fuji sensors were designed differently (i forget the particulars but their sensors read color differently that traditional sensors, #doyourgoogles if you want the specifics), but this also caused some difficulties with post-processors, now they basically use the same sensors as every one else but put their own color science on top of it...

this is definitely one of the strengths of the sony system...while it is technically possible for all mirrorless to adapt lenses, because of the enthusiasm around all the capabilities packed into sony cameras, there is much more development going on to adapt other lenses specifically to sony cameras

Just a general camera to walk around with.

Was looking at the Fuji XT1 that's currently $800 and comes with a free 35mm f/2.0. But then I realized it's a 4+ year old camera. Think I may hold off until the newer, and more consumer-geared XT20 goes on sale. Also most of my friends/family have Canons, so borrowing lenses for a Fuji mirrorless wouldn't be possible without some kind of adapter. Sucks that Canon's mirrorless line is behind.

what's a good, light tripod for travelling?

Was looking at the Fuji XT1 that's currently $800 and comes with a free 35mm f/2.0. But then I realized it's a 4+ year old camera. Think I may hold off until the newer, and more consumer-geared XT20 goes on sale. Also most of my friends/family have Canons, so borrowing lenses for a Fuji mirrorless wouldn't be possible without some kind of adapter. Sucks that Canon's mirrorless line is behind.

same reason I am trying to decide between the t7i and a mirrorless, I need something smaller and lighter for travel

got my eye on the XT20 or A6300, I really like Fujis two-tone classic look, which would you guys choose or just stick to the t7i?

So decided to try my hand at light painting a car. Just bought one of those $60 LED DSLR lights for when people shoot video. Pretty much does the job. The trick is more so in the lighting of the car itself and the editing. I had to light paint my rental about 12-15 times to get all aspects of the car lit as well as the background. Got photos of so many things wrong from me being in the frame to light trails and to just bad lighting in general. Also lighting a car means you have to sell the image. I had edits where the car was lit on all sides but then it just looked sort of fake. I made mine look somewhat natural to a degree. Editing this stuff is pretty heavy. Spent hours and hours just on these single photos.

corrolla-1.png

corrolla-2a.png

And I used this video for reference on how to do it but there are a ton of other videos online as well.

Last edited:
Does anybody in here use Lightroom Mobile heavily or just desktop? Trying to see if anybody feels the gap between mobile and desktop is narrowing

I hit Pequods, Art of Pizza, and a few others.....Pequods was probably my favorite. Also ate a few steakhouses in Rosemont by O'hare. Appreciate the points you made about the color fringing. At times I tend to overlook it. I guess I was so worked up to edit and get them out there.....Appreciate it

aha i'm always curious what out of towners think of the pizza, i've only had peqouds once didn't care for it but some of my peoples love it...color fringing of that sort can be easy to forget, if not looking for it

the xt1 is, even though it isn't the latest greatest, still a really, really good camera...question is what the newer camera improves on worth the price premium over the older camera? is it important to have the ability to access your family/friends lenses? as previously noted. if you are ar all interested in video and/or having amazing autofocus is, sony or even the canon 80d might be the better choice. actually the canon m5 & m6 are good cameras, you just don't get all the capabilities of some of the competition and of course the lens library for canon mirrorless is small & doesn't match up to the quality of the comp either.

what's a good, light tripod for travelling?

same reason I am trying to decide between the t7i and a mirrorless, I need something smaller and lighter for travel

got my eye on the XT20 or A6300, I really like Fujis two-tone classic look, which would you guys choose or just stick to the t7i?

similar to based mod, i think you have start with what you want to do with it, decide what features/specs are important to accomplishing that and which aren't...most camera you can pick up these days are going to take awesome pictures, but there are differences in aesthetics, how they render color, handling, etc. that will be more or less to a person's liking...

Does anybody in here use Lightroom Mobile heavily or just desktop? Trying to see if anybody feels the gap between mobile and desktop is narrowing

been using it frequently with my computer going through repairs, i guess it depends on your question is specific to lightroom or mobile editing in general, mobile has definitely gotten capable but desktop also becomes more efficient/powerful each generation. lightroom on the desktop is slow though, even adobe recognize this, while lightroom mobile is crazy fast but the app is still somewhat limited (compared to the desktop version), so depending on your edits it could be faster, especially if it is just a few images and you areon the latest tech...but i don't think there are things like batch processing, hdr, it has lens profiles but they are automatically applied and not individually selectable, nor is there distortion correction, panorama stitching, or spot removal.

been using it frequently with my computer going through repairs, i guess it depends on your question is specific to lightroom or mobile editing in general, mobile has definitely gotten capable but desktop also becomes more efficient/powerful each generation. lightroom on the desktop is slow though, even adobe recognize this, while lightroom mobile is crazy fast but the app is still somewhat limited (compared to the desktop version), so depending on your edits it could be faster, especially if it is just a few images and you areon the latest tech...but i don't think there are things like batch processing, hdr, it has lens profiles but they are automatically applied and not individually selectable, nor is there distortion correction, panorama stitching, or spot removal.

True, there are several options missing from mobile but it seems like mobile is getting a bit stronger with each update. I'm currently eyeing the Samsung Tab S3 specifically for photo editing and media consumption. Reviews show it's more than strong enough to handle photo editing and would be great portability wise for on site editing. Since I don't know about any heavy hitting editing I don't miss out on the majority of those missing options and editing tools. Gotta take some time and read the Holy YT and learn em

I have a MeFoto Roadtrip tripod. I got it cause it has can get down low in doing really low level shots when doing a long exposure. My only gripe though it isn't super light and it has the twist locks rather than the latch ones which I like better. Also this was supposed to hold a decent amount of weight but when I put on my Mark 3 and 70-200mm, the camera shacks all over the place which make long exposures virtually impossible to do. I guess that means I have to get something more sturdy but I guess that comes with the territory with heavier equipment. That is really a big plus for those Sony AR7II users. That camera literally is the best landscape camera aside from maybe the weather sealing.

True, there are several options missing from mobile but it seems like mobile is getting a bit stronger with each update. I'm currently eyeing the Samsung Tab S3 specifically for photo editing and media consumption. Reviews show it's more than strong enough to handle photo editing and would be great portability wise for on site editing. Since I don't know about any heavy hitting editing I don't miss out on the majority of those missing options and editing tools. Gotta take some time and read the Holy YT and learn em

i think the mobile apps are probably easier to optimize for, thus they run faster, but i also think part of it is that they have to be pared down to run on mobile processors. i would think be able to batch process is big deal if you want to do on site editing; with lightroom mobile it means you will have to edit and process each photo individually, even when you copy settings you have to paste and process individually. might be better tor for with a cheapo lightweight laptop with a full featured processor rather than relying on mobile

True batch would come in handy for full shoots. Lately haven't had more than 200 or so shots to go over so nothing major. I have a surface pro 2 that I use as my laptop but main issue with using that is battery life off the plug is not even 2-3 hrs and mostly less when trying to use Lightroom. Using a mobile tablet last much longer and rarely the device runs hot to touch.

^^^^I would love to get a Surface if they fixed the battery. I do like how they run full Photoshop and have the tablet feature but I still think I am best with just getting a normal laptop.

True batch would come in handy for full shoots. Lately haven't had more than 200 or so shots to go over so nothing major. I have a surface pro 2 that I use as my laptop but main issue with using that is battery life off the plug is not even 2-3 hrs and mostly less when trying to use Lightroom. Using a mobile tablet last much longer and rarely the device runs hot to touch.

yea i guess, always better to be prepared though...as they say better to have and not need than to need and have #clicheqoutes...

I think I've officially switched from the fuji to getting a sony a6500 instead. need that image stabilization for shooting and the lens offerings are nice.

^^^^I would love to get a Surface if they fixed the battery. I do like how they run full Photoshop and have the tablet feature but I still think I am best with just getting a normal laptop.

The latest Surface joints supposedly offer a much grander battery experience. At that price point I likely won't find out for a while lol I really like the look of the Surface Tablet. It's gorgeous

yea i guess, always better to be prepared though...as they say better to have and not need than to need and have #clicheqoutes...

True. I took some pics of my girls at the park yesterday and edited them on my phone. Screen recorded my filtering and selection process. May upload to YT.
Can't wait to get the Tab S3, bigger and better screen. Better to practice with. Shoulda downloaded some lightroom mobile tutorial videos to watch while I'm at work

^ i should note that i am using the 1st gen ipad pro, so my experience with lightroom might be different than using android. also a semi random aside: went to a low rider show this past weekend, saw many people rocking sony mirrorless cameras, sony definitely seems on the come up...

If I had an iphone or used Mac laptops I would really look at the pro. It's definitely going to age well and be useful for at least 3-4 years. The S3 may live for 2-3 and I can trade up to the next best.

Even though I acknowledge that iPads are better, one of the main reasons I am choosing Android over IOS is Android is more open flexible. IOS is very rigid, structure well in all cases but rigid.

Back
Top Bottom