The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

hey whats up folks, a question in regards to dslr comparison. i've been shopping around for awhile to upgrade from my canon 10D to either a 40D or a 50D. I've been looking at some second hand 40Ds on CL and found some for pretty good prices ($400-$500) with decent shutter counts. However, I'm wondering if I should be a little less frugal and shell out another $250-$300 and get a 50D. Any thoughts/insight, I'd definitely appreciate. I've read numerous reviews and comparisons, including those on dpreview, however I'd prefer to ask my fellow NTers who've had experience with either camera.

My 10D is still great, but the amount of wait time to load RAW pictures on the LCD screen is damn near ridiculous. slower than Yuku

4988720649_4129018e01_z.jpg

might be more of a photoshop question,
but can someone help me with a tutorial of how to create a panoramic shot?

only have a point and click.

thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

might be more of a photoshop question,
but can someone help me with a tutorial of how to create a panoramic shot?

only have a point and click.

thank you in advance.
your point and click is good.....just snap pix of what you want to "stitch" together and let windows live photo gallery put it together. 
- highlight select pictures in the gallery

- hit Make Panoramic

- crop to get all the wack edges out

Thats it!

**You can download Windows Live Photo Gallery for free

Originally Posted by Mr718

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Got this today...
http://imaging.nikon.com/...oolpix/performance/p100/

Wanted to get a SLR but I figured I'd take baby steps.� Any suggestions on programs or tips for a rookie?
ohwell.gif

Alrght, that camera SUCKED!� 1080p video was nice to have but if you cant take decent pics there's no point.� So I took it up one level and got this...
Olympus Pen E-PL1
olympus-pen-e-pl1.jpg

Satisfied so far.� If this doesnt work out, I'll jump to the D3000.

If you can do it, get the new Nikon 3100. Don't even get these fake DLSRs if you want some quality stuff. Might as well just take all that money and get a real one and then save up for some lenses. Trust me, in the long run you will save money on this expensive hobby.

I was trying to stay away from the SLR game because of the size, thats really the only thing holding me back.� Also, any of the SLR's I would be able to afford or "justify" by the amount that of time I would actually be using it, would be something very basic w/o video.� I dont really see whats so bad about this camera so far.� I have yet to find a reason to complain (then again, I'm coming from point 'n shoot).� Im looking to be schooled here.� Whats the advantage of DSLR over a Micro Four Thirds?

BTW, the commercial that sold me....
nerd.gif
Mr Fongstarr?

Mr Fongstarr wrote:

Mr718 wrote:

Mr718 wrote:

Got this today...
http://imaging.nikon.com/...oolpix/performance/p100/

Wanted to get a SLR but I figured I'd take baby steps.� Any suggestions on programs or tips for a rookie?
ohwell.gif

Alrght, that camera SUCKED!� 1080p video was nice to have but if you cant take decent pics there's no point.� So I took it up one level and got this...
Olympus Pen E-PL1
olympus-pen-e-pl1.jpg

Satisfied so far.� If this doesnt work out, I'll jump to the D3000.

If you can do it, get the new Nikon 3100. Don't even get these fake DLSRs if you want some quality stuff. Might as well just take all that money and get a real one and then save up for some lenses. Trust me, in the long run you will save money on this expensive hobby.

I was trying to stay away from the SLR game because of the size, thats really the only thing holding me back.� Also, any of the SLR's I would be able to afford or "justify" by the amount that of time I would actually be using it, would be something very basic w/o video.� I dont really see whats so bad about this camera so far.� I have yet to find a reason to complain (then again, I'm coming from point 'n shoot).� Im looking to be schooled here.� Whats the advantage of DSLR over a Micro Four Thirds?

BTW, the commercial that sold me....

Mr Fongstarr?

Asking my opinion on the Olympus? I don't know. I mean I guess I have to be truthful and say I have never used a micro DLSR before. It seems to be the new rage and I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon. I guess it just depends on the user. Is size a factor? (no romo). If so, I guess this might be worth something investing in. But if you want a full range of lenses and other attachments like speed lights and whatever, then get a DSLR.

Speaking of not going no where, Samsung just released this:

samsung-nx100-black.jpg

Look out, world -- the mirrorless camera game just got a lot more interesting. Shortly after Olympus introduced a new mid-range DSLR, Samsung has outed its newest, the (previously rumored) NX100. It's the predictable successor to last year's NX10, offering a sleeker body, 14.6 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor, a 3-inch VGA AMOLED display 'round back, an ISO range of 100 to 3200 (with a boost mode hitting 6400), 720p movie recording (H.264), SD / SDHC card slot, optional geo-tagging with GPS10 module and 'Sound Picture' mode that allows users to record audio when a photo is taken. The standout feature here, however, has little to do with the body itself; instead, it's the new i-Function lens system, which features a dedicated 'i-Function' button that allows users to scroll through manual settings, and a focus ring which is used to change parameters for each setting. Users can toggle between shutter speed, aperture, EV, WB, and ISO by simply using the i-Function button and ring on the lens, and it's a feature we're frankly desperate to try out ourselves. Sammy's planning to offer a variety of lenses for the NX100, including a 60mm macro, 18-200mm telephoto, 20mm wide-angle pancake and a 20-50mm compact zoom. The full details on the camera as well as the glass arrangement is just after the break, but good luck finding a price and release date. Depressing, we know.

Some more pics of the D7000:

nikon-d7000-front.jpg

nikon-d7000-dslr-picture.jpg

Body appears to be smaller then the D90 imo. Also here is a pic of the 39 point auto focus grid and the magnesium alloy body:

nikon-d7000-magnesium-alloy-body.png
nikon-d7000-39-points-af.png

d7000_18_105_fronttop_l.jpg

10x0914no2n4ewfnikonsd.jpg

D7000

- Successor to the D90

- 16.2 MP CMOS 2.016 pixel rgb sensor

- EXPEED C2

- 1080p HD with full time AF MPEG 4, 20min movie recording, 1080 at 24p, AVC, 720 at 24 and 30p. The ability to save individual frames as a JPEG

- ISO 25,600 at hi2

- 39 AF point, 9 cross type sensors

- 6 fps shooting

- 100% viewfinder

- 20 scene modes

- New dial for shooting settings similar to the D300s and the D700

- 9-21-30 point AF with new button

- One touch live view and video

- Stero jack

- Twin SD card port

- In-camera editing

- Wireless flash

- Fn button can function as spot metering framing grid playback, one stop apertue control, start movie recording, depth of field preview, virtual horizon, active D lighting, i-TTL control

- High pop up flash to actually be useful

- Auto distortion control

- Bracketing +-5

- New battery system

- 850 shots

- 150k shutter

- Magnesium, dust resistance and weather like D300s,

- $1199.95 for body only and $1499.95 for body and AF

Just some interesting stuff on the Nikon site about the D7000:

img_04.png

You can reduce the sound of mirror-up and mirror-down during shooting by selecting "Q" on the release mode dial. This improved quiet shutter-release mode is a convenient function for scenes such as a school play or when shooting wildlife insects and sleeping child.

img_03.png

Easy in-camera movie editing is possible without a PC. You can delete unwanted parts by choosing the start or end point by frame, and save a selected frame as a JPEG image.

img_12a.png

Creates images as if a close-up shot of miniature models was taken. Effective for images taken from above.

Wow 6 minutes and 25 seconds of awesome. Canon needs to step it up. I might jump ship to Nikon because of the D7000, jeez
pimp.gif

D7000 looks cool. Video is still better on 7d/T2i but the AF looks awesome. Dual card slot is cool also.

I am wondering if image quality is improved though.

Originally Posted by solemunchies

Wow 6 minutes and 25 seconds of awesome. Canon needs to step it up. I might jump ship to Nikon because of the D7000, jeez
pimp.gif

Well....I wouldn't go as far as saying Canon needs to step it up but the D7000 came together nicely and is a great improvement over the D90. I think comparing the D7000 to Canon's new 60D is more the question. Here is a break down of the two:

nikon-d7000-vs-canon-60D.png

If Nikon just bumped up the framerate, they could have actually had an overwhelming advantage over the Canon 60D. Even Nikon having less pixels helps them out with it's new sensor and should shoot better in low light conditions. Just like the Canon 7D did to the Nikon D300s, this was a great leap as far as mid-range cameras are concerned.

And these are some photos from the D7000. Looks post processed but I think almost anyone can take pics during the day. Need some night shots.

picture-6.jpg

picture-12.jpg

picture-20.jpg

picture-27.jpg

picture-25.jpg

picture-16.jpg

More here: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blogpics/Nikon-D7000-Photo-Gallery/

Back
Top Bottom