The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I need to get my !%# outside and take some pictures now that the trees are really snowy for the first time in years
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Kicks R Me

Ok so a quick question about creating and selecting Custom White balance (using a Canon Rebel XSI).

If you're moving from room to room with completely different lighting, which White Balance are you supposed to select when you are actually taking the picture of the white piece of paper?

I always thought take a picture of the white paper first, go to "custom white balance" and then after you click on that, then you select the whitepaper photo and then it should change the white balance according to that picture. I think that is how I did it on my XTi when I had it. It didn't alwayscome out perfect...but then again, my white balance on my Nikon never is that accurate either. I always have to do some color correcting in photoshop.

Food. Yes...boring.

a-clock-with-no-hands-1.jpg

a-clock-with-no-hands-2.jpg

a-clock-with-no-hands-3.jpg

a-clock-with-no-hands-4.jpg

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

Originally Posted by JTOTHAO

This is a very powerful picture here...

What's the story within the story (picture) OP.

It's a store window in the puertorican neighborhood in Chicago, they called it window of shame. It has articles of the kids killed by crime acts in theneighborhood.

Originally Posted by PltcsAsUsual

I have another nude shoot tomorrow i wanna do raunchy looks like i usually do and mix it up with some artistic shots.. big problem is my speed flash is broke so either i have to run to B&H in the am and get another or i can use my slave flash's.. any good tricks on getting good shots just using those and built in flash's also.. Give me a good white balance/exposure setting to improve my shots? Should i 0 out the meter for all shots dealing with flash ? i just want to know were to start out to make this go a little better then my previous works..
Maybe late, but hopefully this will help. You can use your slave flash and trigger it with your built-in flash. There are tons of ways to make DIYdiffusers that you can get online. Unless you have a light meter and you can set your lights to a lamp mode, you'll want to "underexpose"according to the in-house light meter by a couple of stops.

As for white balance, once your exposure settings are straight, get either grey or white paper and snap a shot of it where it's the only thing in the frameand use that to set your WB using Custom WB. I would definitely bounce the flash off the ceiling to avoid harsh light and absolute whites. That should make theskin look softer, too.

I think your biggest obstacle is that you may not be taking advantage of the meter in your viewfinder and auto-focus. Yes, MF takes some work and it's agood skill to be able to use quickly, but AF is (in most cases) faster and more reliable than the human eye. If you want a certain part of the frame in focusthat's not covered by an AF point, press the trigger in halfway to get your focus point, then press your AF-lock/AE-lock button and hold it down andrecompose the frame. Then, fire the shot and then release the AE/AF-lock button.

Remember to focus on composition-- a step that's easy to miss. Make sure you analyze the framing and make sure there's nothing distracting or missingfrom the frame before you shoot.

Hopefully this should help.

damn if ya guys do a San Diego photography summit .. do it a weekend in March .. lol

That's when I'll be in town .. he he he

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

Lets do a San Diego NT photography summit!!! Someone else needs to organize it though, cuz I'm too lazy lol
i can help organize, I just cant be the main guy.
laugh.gif

- First: We need a when, where, or a (theme)
- Next: if we decide to go with a theme (ie. models, cars) we need someone with expertise to help organize it, or we can just wing it and lets say photographthe hell out of Balboa Park, La Jolla Shore or Coronado.
- Or we can just do a Gaslamp meet x Padres Baseball.

Most of us are pretty busy with school or work...I can help, but like I said I cant do it on my own.
ohwell.gif

i'd be down for an SD NT photo summit

perhaps we should cover a few different styles/techniques
something like: landscapes, action/sports, street photography, night photography, and model work with lighting (any excuse for u guys to invite some femaleshaha)

New strap came in. Mad comfortable and not as short as seen in some pics. It's very adjustable to whatever height you need. I like that it works awesome asa shoulder strap also.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Santi...nice pickup.

Does crumpler make a similar strap for Nikon?
I don't know if they have a "Nikon" version, but they do make it in different designs like camo, black, etc.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

New strap came in. Mad comfortable and not as short as seen in some pics. It's very adjustable to whatever height you need. I like that it works awesome as a shoulder strap also.

Dang, son. I just got the Op/Tech Pro strap and my 50mm f/1.8 today for my 1Ds Mark II. I wish I had remembered that strap.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by Kicks R Me

Ok so a quick question about creating and selecting Custom White balance (using a Canon Rebel XSI).

If you're moving from room to room with completely different lighting, which White Balance are you supposed to select when you are actually taking the picture of the white piece of paper?

I always thought take a picture of the white paper first, go to "custom white balance" and then after you click on that, then you select the white paper photo and then it should change the white balance according to that picture. I think that is how I did it on my XTi when I had it. It didn't always come out perfect...but then again, my white balance on my Nikon never is that accurate either. I always have to do some color correcting in photoshop.
From my understanding, you're supposed to take the picture of the white paper under the lighting conditions that you plan to take pictures in? Is that not right?

Santi where you cop that neck strap and for how much (if you dont mind me asking)?
Crumpler industry disgrace?

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

Lets do a San Diego NT photography summit!!! Someone else needs to organize it though, cuz I'm too lazy lol
i can help organize, I just cant be the main guy.
laugh.gif

- First: We need a when, where, or a (theme)
- Next: if we decide to go with a theme (ie. models, cars) we need someone with expertise to help organize it, or we can just wing it and lets say photograph the hell out of Balboa Park, La Jolla Shore or Coronado.
- Or we can just do a Gaslamp meet x Padres Baseball.

Most of us are pretty busy with school or work...I can help, but like I said I cant do it on my own.
ohwell.gif
I can help out with organizing, but don't want to be the main guy either haha. Coronado sounds fun, I haven't been there for a long time.Any other places would be fun too.

Browsing Flickr and i saw this photo. Any idea on how to take shots like this?

Do I mount the camera on the spinning thing? fire it with a remote?
3565876216_cae6281ba4.jpg

here is the exif data
Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D90
Image Date: 2009:05:22 17:29:57
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 10.0mm (35mm equivalent: 15mm)
Exposure Time: 0.200 s (1/5)
Aperture: f/9.0
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: -0.33
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Link:

Either a clamp or just simply have the camera dangle down your neck with regular press of the shutter button or self-timer.

Back
Top Bottom