The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by Razorsharp510

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GKPU9O/?tag=niketalk0e-20
Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

any reviews for this Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 wide angle lens for my nikon D3000... just copped on amazon for $115
Didn't you get the Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens with the body? If not, you may or may not want to think about canceling that order and get the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 from Adorama. I KNOW that the Nikon one is a solid lens, plus you get an additional 5mm for essentially the same price.
This Sigma Lens isnt the same kind that came with my D3000 is it!?
embarassed.gif
i hope not.. the Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 isnt a wide angle zoom is it?.. sorry ima damn noobie
frown.gif

If you have the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, then you basically purchased the same lens minus 5mm (you effectively paid more for a lens with 5mm less zoom). 18mm (even ona crop sensor) is considered wide angle I suppose. Regardless, 18mm is 18mm, 50mm is 50mm, f/3.5 is f/3.5, They're effectively the same lens. If you haveboth, return it ASAP and instead buy a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and I guarantee you won't regret it. Should cost about the same.

i guess i could say im kinda lookin for a fisheye type of lens but not really... dammit haha i feel like shooting my fingers off so i dont make anymore dumbpurchases

i guess i could say im kinda lookin for a fisheye type of lens but not really... dammit haha i feel like shooting my fingers off so i dont make anymore dumb purchases
We all make silly mistakes at the beginning. However, for the fisheye, I would HIGHLY recommend holding off on that. Many people want a fisheyewhen they start shooting and buy the fisheye filter/adapter and fail to develop basic photography basics because of it. A good fisheye will cost you $500+($500 if you're lucky), so I'd say that you should stick with the Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 and get the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (because it's a staple lens)and hold off on the fisheye. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. I think the only person active in the photo thread with a fisheye is Fong.Bana has a couple L lenses if I remember correctly, and I don't think she even has a fisheye.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

i guess i could say im kinda lookin for a fisheye type of lens but not really... dammit haha i feel like shooting my fingers off so i dont make anymore dumb
purchases
We all make silly mistakes at the beginning. However, for the fisheye, I would HIGHLY recommend holding off on that. Many people want a fisheye when they start shooting and buy the fisheye filter/adapter and fail to develop basic photography basics because of it. A good fisheye will cost you $500+ ($500 if you're lucky), so I'd say that you should stick with the Nikon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 and get the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (because it's a staple lens) and hold off on the fisheye. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. I think the only person active in the photo thread with a fisheye is Fong. Bana has a couple L lenses if I remember correctly, and I don't think she even has a fisheye.

Yup....love me some fisheye. I've had it for almost a year and as much as people may hate the look, I still shoot with that more than any other lens. Iguess I like it for what I use it for. I never print photos and everything is solely for web use. I think fisheye looks good just cause of the amount ofinformation it provides. I mean you can literally capture a whole cityscape without even being that far away with this lens.

If you like the look, then just invest in a real fisheye lens and not the mounted ones. It is a good secondary lens to have.....and I would recommend the 35mminstead of the 50mm just cause it has a closer range to shoot with....which will be a better lens just for all around use.

Originally Posted by Kazuum

First time busting out my dad's D80. Never been much of a photo taker so it was a good experience. Anyone guess the city?

If anyone has tips or anything for shooting better they'd be greatly appreciated, thanks!
San Francisco.

Took some shots there before.

can someone help me out with this problem. I am a noob at this and I am noticing veinlike apperances running up and down along the right side of my pictures. Is something wrong with my camera or lens?

^ what kind of camera do you have? it looks like a dirty camera sensor to me *hope those arent cracks running along the sides of it*

Does anyone here use Film cameras?

My brother let me borrow his Canon EOS 650(SLR) and I was wondering if I should just use your regular over the counter Kodak/Fuji film roll, or should I belooking for another quality of film roll or are those good for an SLR camera.

Any help or a step in the right direction would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by OnlySomeJordans

My brother let me borrow his Canon EOS 650(SLR) and I was wondering if I should just use your regular over the counter Kodak/Fuji film roll, or should I be looking for another quality of film roll or are those good for an SLR camera.

I think regular kodak film would be ok to shoot with. I think the actual camera itself will give it that character and even post processing is a big deal tomake it look better but I am almost sure you're not going to do it with a dark room or anything. But just try regular film or get some black and white filmfrom Kodak and see how it is first. Just get the right film with the right ISO speed that you are trying to shoot.

Originally Posted by ECar642

can someone help me out with this problem. I am a noob at this and I am noticing vein like apperances running up and down along the right side of my pictures. Is something wrong with my camera or lens?
It looks like a disgustingly dirty sensor or rear lens element. If you don't have one, get a Giottos Rocket Blower and clean it. Just praythat it's not cracked.
embarassed.gif

OnlySomeJordans wrote:

My brother let me borrow his Canon EOS 650(SLR) and I was wondering if I should just use your regular over the counter Kodak/Fuji film roll, or should I be looking for another quality of film roll or are those good for an SLR camera.

I shoot with a Canon EOS Rebel G film camera, although I've shot four rolls recently and haven't developed any of them. I've just beenshooting plain ole Kodak ISO 400. I want to get some black and white film though so I can get back to developing my own film. You can shoot with almost anyfilm-- how you choose to expose your shots and PP will dictate a lot of the characteristics. I know that I don't know how to develop color film, but if youcan do the PP yourself then that's even better.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

...and I would recommend the 35mm instead of the 50mm just cause it has a closer range to shoot with....which will be a better lens just for all around use.

Truth. I always forget about the 35mm f/1.8G, although I personally like having the aperture ring on my 50mm. Definitely go for the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G though ifyou can hack the extra little bit of cash.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Originally Posted by lazybonejone

Any one recommend a cheap flash for my T1i?
Used 430ex or ex II.

If you just need to bounce light or you're getting umbrellas and all that you can go really cheap and get an old Sunpak/Vivitar flash, but Santi'sright if you want to be able to have full control over the light.

anyone own a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8?

I need help...i cant figure out how settings in my D90 so that it will always focus in infinity. any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom