The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Very seriously contemplating upgrading my measly Sony NEX-5 to a true DSLR

I am, however, not made of money.

I have noticed the Nikon D5100 has gone down in price due to its age and D5200 coming out soon (or perhaps is already out)

My question is, is that a good investment or should I wait few extra months and cop something like a D7000.

I have read reviews saying that the image quality on the D5100 is identical to the higher priced models (when using the same lens), but I want to see if real life people can testify to this.

Looking to pick up my first Canon L lens, and I'm torn between the Canon 17-40 L and 24-105 L. Looking for sort of a walk-around/utility lens that I can take backpacking across Europe.  Not looking for anything specific in terms of what I'm shooting, just a combination between portrait, landscape and street photography.  Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Looking to pick up my first Canon L lens, and I'm torn between the Canon 17-40 L and 24-105 L. Looking for sort of a walk-around/utility lens that I can take backpacking across Europe.  Not looking for anything specific in terms of what I'm shooting, just a combination between portrait, landscape and street photography.  Any help is appreciated!
Crop frame or full frame?

I made my first DLSR purchase today, the D3100. ebay had a sale on it plus the 18-55 lens for $299.99 shipped. Was it a good price? And could someone give me the link to a good introductory tutorial for it? I really want to start taking really nice pics

Very seriously contemplating upgrading my measly Sony NEX-5 to a true DSLR

I am, however, not made of money.

I have noticed the Nikon D5100 has gone down in price due to its age and D5200 coming out soon (or perhaps is already out)

My question is, is that a good investment or should I wait few extra months and cop something like a D7000.

I have read reviews saying that the image quality on the D5100 is identical to the higher priced models (when using the same lens), but I want to see if real life people can testify to this.

I would get the D7000 imo. I had the D90 and that was it's replacement and heard nothing but good stuff and was considered the best mid level DSLR. I haven't messed with the D5100 but I messed with the 3000 series and I hated it cause the lens didn't seem as fast. I would invest in the D7000 and mostly cause you will replace the entry level to a mid level in the long run. There is a difference in performance but that is just me.

Crop, Canon 60D

If it is really considered for a Europe trip, then go wide. It will be better for landscapes and and buildings to a certain degree but at 17mm on a crop, you will still be missing out on a lot of things.

It depends on how much your budget is. In my opinion, you just need a decent body that doesn't cost so much and invest everything into your glass. This year camera companies are doing their best to make majority of their cameras full frame at cheaper prices.

It depends on how much your budget is. In my opinion, you just need a decent body that doesn't cost so much and invest everything into your glass. This year camera companies are doing their best to make majority of their cameras full frame at cheaper prices.

I agree with this but for the entry levels, some of the glass can't save them all. I had a Nikon 35mm 1.8G and I swear pictures came out way better on my D90 over the D3100. I even through on my Canon 24mm L on a T3i and didn't think pics came out that great. I know a Mark 2 and a T3i is a bad comparison but I do think the body's do count to a certain degree. But the D7000 ISO performance was pretty damn good and I am basing it on that more so then anything else. Lens performance at night or low light would come out better on that camera but all sun shots should be relative.

This BAMF showed up today 
nthat.gif

Can't wait to start using it.

I agree with this but for the entry levels, some of the glass can't save them all. I had a Nikon 35mm 1.8G and I swear pictures came out way better on my D90 over the D3100. I even through on my Canon 24mm L on a T3i and didn't think pics came out that great. I know a Mark 2 and a T3i is a bad comparison but I do think the body's do count to a certain degree. But the D7000 ISO performance was pretty damn good and I am basing it on that more so then anything else. Lens performance at night or low light would come out better on that camera but all sun shots should be relative.
I'd go for the D7000 (bias cause thats my current camera). Plus you can probably start finding it for a decent price used with the D7100 coming out next month.

I'm definitely an amateur so I have some questions for you more experienced guys. 

Until now, I've always seen things in everyday life that would make a beautiful candid shot but I didn't have anything on me better than my cell phone (Galaxy GS3). Do you DSLR guys usually have something on you at all times to capture it when you see it?

Do you keep your bag with you or how are you on the ready to capture these moments, or are you just taking time out of your days to dedicate to finding these things? 

Oh and last one, what are the most flexible methods of adding watermarks or tags to photo's you feel show great quality (or whatever your reasons may be)? 

BTW nice shots DRN! 
happy.gif

Last edited:
I think one of the best starting dslr is the d5200. The quality of the images it takes and 1080p vid are just insane with that price. With that being said you will have more money to spend on your lens, and we all know how important that is.

Last edited:
I was recently in a photo exhibition. A few of images from a series I've been working on(that I posted previously) as well as the image below were included.

I shot with a D800.

Back
Top Bottom