The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

its gonna be a long rest of the year

So I did the hipster thing and went out and got an old Polaroid Land Camera 250 off ebay for about $80 shipped. There is this shop in San Francisco called Photobooth SF and it's dedicated to film cameras and saw some of the pics that the Land Camera produced and decided to invest into it for the heck of it.

tumblr_mdrg23nRK21ryzvbjo1_500.jpg

Not sure if people know but this uses "peel a part" film polaroids and isn't like the normal "shake it like a polaroid picture" kind.

bd92b6043079e62991d3644838ffd238_large.jpg

Anyone else on here ever messed with this stuff?

So I did the hipster thing and went out and got an old Polaroid Land Camera 250 off ebay for about $80 shipped. There is this shop in San Francisco called Photobooth SF and it's dedicated to film cameras and saw some of the pics that the Land Camera produced and decided to invest into it for the heck of it.

tumblr_mdrg23nRK21ryzvbjo1_500.jpg

Not sure if people know but this uses "peel a part" film polaroids and isn't like the normal "shake it like a polaroid picture" kind.

bd92b6043079e62991d3644838ffd238_large.jpg

Anyone else on here ever messed with this stuff?
80 bucks isn't bad at all... how is it when it comes to finding film? Pricing?

80 bucks isn't bad at all... how is it when it comes to finding film? Pricing?

What is odd is how price fluctuates from in store to even on the internet. There are so many of these Land Cameras from model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Polaroid_instant_cameras) that came out in different years and I had no idea which one was better then the other. But the 250 model seemed like the go to camera that is built with metal and has a glass lens. There are others that are similar but built with plastic and some don't even collapse into a case. But what I mean by fluctuate is I've seen some on e-bay for as high as $300-500 with the whole case, flash bulbs and everything. In store, I seen it go for about $196 and on Craigslist, I saw one got for $120. There is like no rhyme or reaso why the pricings all jump around. All I did was go to Ebay, filter it down to nothing but Buy It Now options and looked at the one that looked decent and was cheap. Ended up finding one for $70 Buy It Now and the camera seemed legit with no corrosion at all.

Film seems to be the real pain but there is a couple of shots in SF that have some. The main one that seems to have a steady stock sells color film for $14 a pack and $15 for the black and white. You only get 10 shots per roll. I seen some online bundles that come out to about $10 a pack but you have to get 5 packs. I might do that once I figure if I want to shoot color or black and white.

NT famb, slightly used Nikon D40x for $200.

Would be first DSLR, good price? Good camera?

Canon 60D as first/beginner camera? Any thoughts? Thanks.

For a beginner? Sure. The 60D is better then all those Rebels and is built better. I would still suggest to get a 7D if it is in the price range.

NT famb, slightly used Nikon D40x for $200.

Would be first DSLR, good price? Good camera?

That is a decent price but know you would need to upgrade eventually anyways. I always am a firm believer in getting a camera that is up with the times but if budget is a concern, that is a decent price to start. I am sure if any, low light shooting would be the issue with that camera.

Some portrait photos I did with my G12 Point & Shoot. Who said P&S were limited? Well I guess the fact that I had a slave flash helped.

All you need is a plain wall.

Last edited:
I am going a little HAM on spending lately. I was about to get a medium format camera on Ebay but chose to get my first photgraph from a skate photographer in NYC.

puleoswbsng02ying.jpg

This is a shot of pro skater Bobby Puleo in NYC. Getting a 24X30 print for a little less then $400 shipped. I love this photo! It was shot by Allen Ying who created the skate mag called 43 Magazine. He recently did a NYC issue and it has some serious awesome photos if you are into skate photography. Check out some of his works: http://store.43magazine.com/.

awesome shot, should make for a really nice piece

i'm planning on getting a print soon as well, thinking about going with one of the aluminyzed prints that adoramapix makes.

old picture but this is what i plan on getting. i'll probably do a little more PP on it though..

the end is near by bjamez20, on Flickr

What is odd is how price fluctuates from in store to even on the internet. There are so many of these Land Cameras from model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Polaroid_instant_cameras) that came out in different years and I had no idea which one was better then the other. But the 250 model seemed like the go to camera that is built with metal and has a glass lens. There are others that are similar but built with plastic and some don't even collapse into a case. But what I mean by fluctuate is I've seen some on e-bay for as high as $300-500 with the whole case, flash bulbs and everything. In store, I seen it go for about $196 and on Craigslist, I saw one got for $120. There is like no rhyme or reaso why the pricings all jump around. All I did was go to Ebay, filter it down to nothing but Buy It Now options and looked at the one that looked decent and was cheap. Ended up finding one for $70 Buy It Now and the camera seemed legit with no corrosion at all.

Film seems to be the real pain but there is a couple of shots in SF that have some. The main one that seems to have a steady stock sells color film for $14 a pack and $15 for the black and white. You only get 10 shots per roll. I seen some online bundles that come out to about $10 a pack but you have to get 5 packs. I might do that once I figure if I want to shoot color or black and white.

I have the land camera 420. Before that, I had two plastic nonfolding polaroids (swinger & colorpack).
I bought my land camera from http://filmphotographyproject.com for about $83 and I chose them because all of the cameras were tested and they swapped out the battery pack to fit double A batteries.

There's also another site called http://landcameras.com/. I plan on purchasing from them in the near future for my next polaroid because they offer more.

The one thing I like about these cameras is that you can use strobe lights with them. I shot a few times in studio with these. Turned out better than I expected. You just have to play around with the power on the lights. The darken/lighten knob doesn't effect flash at all.

One thing to worry about is the bellows. Sometimes they get loose and it leaves an obstruction in the exposure.

Focusing is simple. It's similar to a rangefinder. The closest you can get to a subject is 3 feet unless you have the portrait attachment which only works on certain cameras and could be hard to find. The second site I listed sells various attachments for these cameras though.

As for film, the best place to go in my opinion is amazon. I always get my film from there because it's usually cheaper than if I were to go to my local photo store. I think the cheapest I've gotten it for was $7 without bundling.

I guess it's also worth noting that fujifilm is currently the only real producers of peel-a-part film for the polaroid 100 type cameras. (Impossible project also produces 100 type instant film, but I think they're crap quality.) They used to have a wide selection which included fp-100c(color), fp-100b(black & white), fp-3000b(black & white), and they even did fp-100c45(which was made for 4x5 cameras with polaroid holders. They've since discontinued half of that here in the states and only have fp-100c and fp-3000b. If you manage to find the other ones listed, the prices tend to be heavily inflated.

Another note, medium format cameras such as mamiya rz67 and hasselblad 500 cameras have polaroid back attachments that can be used with this film, but because these cameras have 6x7 & 6x6 aspect ratios, the whole sheet isn't exposed.

Last edited:
^^^Thanks for the info and that website link. Again crazy how the pricing on the 250 is so high and low. That site is selling one for $199.99. And that was the medium format camera I almost pulled the trigger on (mamiya rz67) but got that skate print instead. If this Polaroid peaks my interest that much, then I'll get the mamiya rz67. Can't believe all this polaroid crap is coming out of no where and I am hardly shooting with my digital anymore.

I have a Nikon 17-55 2.8 and a 35mm 1.8 for sale!!! PM if interested! I'm willing to negotiate a fair price we both agree on!

Fong - One of my homies uses an alternative film for his Polaroid Land Camera, same model i believe. Worked the same way except I'm not sure about that writing part thought. 

Two photos from yesterday.

More on the blog.

www.dunksrnice.net

Great stuff lately from the film world. I left a long time ago but have always considered going back. Made one of my bathrooms a darkroom and did all my prints myself. Anyways back to digital; did a photoshoot for a friend of mine that owns his own T-Shirt company. Click the pic for the whole set.

I do not have a prime lens as of yet . How much value does the canon 50mm 1.8 have in comparison to the 1.4? I like the build quality out of the 1.4 way more.

85L is probably the best portrait lense out, too bad it's a pain in the *** to focus, so is pretty useless for anything other than a controlled shot....the 135L covers both spectrums with ease, may not open up as wide, but lord Jesus it's IQ is top notch and you can easily shoot kids with it which are pretty much the most dynamic subjects you can shoot and nail the focus 8/10 times...something I doubt you'll get with the 85L

I still want it, but over 2k
eek.gif
^^^^I agree on the focus missing with the 85mm. I messed with an 85mm L once and had really hard time getting focused shots. Part of it was I wasn't used to the range and the other part was I always had it at 1.2. Almost down played that lens like it wasn't worth it. I mean for 2k, it better focus on every shot right? I do want to try that on a Mark 3 though. Even my 24mm L gives me the same messed up auto focus. Not sure who to blame whether it is the lens or the body. There are times where I'll just flat out get a blurry photo like it wasn't even trying to focus.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330916531308

85mm 1.8 USM... Nothing but great things I've read and some people prefer it to the L glass.

Back
Top Bottom