The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^ Thanks, dude!

It's a Magnus PV-4320. I really don't know anything about good tripods so I figured I would just get this one until I learn. Seemed like a great deal.
Yea should do the trick indoors and on solid surfaces... I wouldn't go setting it up over/in water with your 7D on it though.

Tripods are weird because it seems like they all can do the same things but when you want to suspend your camera over 2 foot deep water like I did last week you'll want to get something much more sturdy.

My Alta went on sale for like $100 from $210 and even still I'm gonna have to get a better ball head for it... Ruined a couple long exposures I did because the camera was weighing down the head and it slowly moved throughout the whole shot... Probably only a couple millimeters but that made the pic completely useless.
mean.gif

Saving up for a EOS 5d Mk. III.

Can anyone tell me if those L series lenses are worth what they're charging for them?
if you're saving up for a 5dm3 and asking this question, then you're doing it wrong. you may not need a 5dm3.

but to answer your question, for the most part yes.

Saving up for a EOS 5d Mk. III.

Can anyone tell me if those L series lenses are worth what they're charging for them?

Lenses are all about pairing it with the right camera body. I do agree lenses are more the reason why photos look good aside from the body but putting an L-lens on a crop censor doesn't mean it produces top quality photos like it would do on a full frame and vica versa. Like for instance a 50mm 1.8II on a Mark 2 is way better then putting it on a Rebel. The sensor on the full frame just produces better images with better quality.

So to answer your question, if you get a Mark 3, yes the L-lenses are worth the quality. If you have a Rebel, I think there are plenty of other lenses that might do the trick that are way cheaper.

Everything about L lenses has already been addressed above. But I'll add that I own the 135L f/2 and love that lens. It produces super sharp images and the bokeh is sweet. I have it on a 5D Mark 3. I have a 24-105 which is great as well as a walk around lens. I've also used the 24L and that thing is beautiful. Great image quality and bokeh as well. Haven't used a L lens I didn't love. About to add the 70-200 2.8 IS II to my collection.

I shoot with a Mark 2... no L lenses here... yet.

The image quality is faaaaaar better when shooting with an L lens + a great body.

I know i'm not getting the best possible image quality with these cheap *** lenses I shoot with.

Makes me sadz man.

ohwell.gif

Everything about L lenses has already been addressed above. But I'll add that I own the 135L f/2 and love that lens. It produces super sharp images and the bokeh is sweet. I have it on a 5D Mark 3. I have a 24-105 which is great as well as a walk around lens. I've also used the 24L and that thing is beautiful. Great image quality and bokeh as well. Haven't used a L lens I didn't love. About to add the 70-200 2.8 IS II to my collection.

Got any sample shots of the 135L? I am sort intrigued by that lens just cause the range is like an 85mm on a crop (I think). Plus the price seems more affordable than the 85mm 1.2L.

85L is probably the best portrait lense out, too bad it's a pain in the *** to focus, so is pretty useless for anything other than a controlled shot....the 135L covers both spectrums with ease, may not open up as wide, but lord Jesus it's IQ is top notch and you can easily shoot kids with it which are pretty much the most dynamic subjects you can shoot and nail the focus 8/10 times...something I doubt you'll get with the 85L

I still want it, but over 2k :wow:

^^^^I agree on the focus missing with the 85mm. I messed with an 85mm L once and had really hard time getting focused shots. Part of it was I wasn't used to the range and the other part was I always had it at 1.2. Almost down played that lens like it wasn't worth it. I mean for 2k, it better focus on every shot right? I do want to try that on a Mark 3 though. Even my 24mm L gives me the same messed up auto focus. Not sure who to blame whether it is the lens or the body. There are times where I'll just flat out get a blurry photo like it wasn't even trying to focus.

^^^^I agree on the focus missing with the 85mm. I messed with an 85mm L once and had really hard time getting focused shots. Part of it was I wasn't used to the range and the other part was I always had it at 1.2. Almost down played that lens like it wasn't worth it. I mean for 2k, it better focus on every shot right? I do want to try that on a Mark 3 though. Even my 24mm L gives me the same messed up auto focus. Not sure who to blame whether it is the lens or the body. There are times where I'll just flat out get a blurry photo like it wasn't even trying to focus.

do you shoot in AI servo or AI focus???....that might be your issue, because the 24L is my favorite lense and the focus never fails me bruh...

^^^^Man, this is where I just sit there and wonder what the heck is wrong with me. Never figured to turn that on when doing hand held shots. Thanks Steezy. Going to have to fiddle with that on my next shoots.

AI Servo is for moving subjects right?

Where does AI Focus come best into play?

To my understanding, and this is the way I shoot, AI focus gives you the option of selecting a focal point and locking in manually wherever it is you want to focus, AI servo has all focal points active in order to track, IMO this is a double edge sword, it may be fine if you are tracking a single flying bird, but if you want to track one bird out of a flock you won't have control over which it will track, causing you to miss focus.

I also use back button focus, it makes my life a lot easier specially shooting kids...it's a lot to write up on, but here is a simple easy to understand article on what it is.

http://www.clickinmoms.com/blog/how-to-use-back-button-focusing-tutorial/
I just recently started BBF a few months ago and all I can say is it's one of the best decisions I've made when it comes to photography. Makes your life easier when it comes to photographing moving subjects. Takes a little bit of time to get used to, but when you do, you won't go back.

Back
Top Bottom