The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^I agree on the focus missing with the 85mm. I messed with an 85mm L once and had really hard time getting focused shots. Part of it was I wasn't used to the range and the other part was I always had it at 1.2. Almost down played that lens like it wasn't worth it. I mean for 2k, it better focus on every shot right? I do want to try that on a Mark 3 though. Even my 24mm L gives me the same messed up auto focus. Not sure who to blame whether it is the lens or the body. There are times where I'll just flat out get a blurry photo like it wasn't even trying to focus.
Honestly, when I first got the 24L, I thought I made a mistake. Every time I shot something, it was blurry and I almost sent it back to Adorama. But after a while of practice, it became my go to lens. Love shooting the streets with it especially street candids/scenes. Initially, shooting wide open was a bit tricky at times especially if you have shaky hands like mine, but I eventually got the hand of it. To me, it's the best prime I've ever shot with. Fast and wide enough but not too wide.

Here's 3 of my favorites with the 24L, first 2 with a 7D and the last with the 5D

Love the 2nd and last one. What lens you using?
Thanks, I use this lens with the Canon 60D

Forgot to rewind and accidentally opened the back of my camera and exposed the film, but it came out looking pretty cool.

Last edited:
if you're saving up for a 5dm3 and asking this question, then you're doing it wrong. you may not need a 5dm3.

but to answer your question, for the most part yes.

I currently shoot with a Nikon D90. I'm used to shooting with Nikon products, but I tried a friend's 5D MkIII a few times and I loved it. He didn't have an L series lens on his camera, so I just wanted insight on how much different the regular Canon lenses are vs. the L series lenses.

Lenses are all about pairing it with the right camera body. I do agree lenses are more the reason why photos look good aside from the body but putting an L-lens on a crop censor doesn't mean it produces top quality photos like it would do on a full frame and vica versa. Like for instance a 50mm 1.8II on a Mark 2 is way better then putting it on a Rebel. The sensor on the full frame just produces better images with better quality.

So to answer your question, if you get a Mark 3, yes the L-lenses are worth the quality. If you have a Rebel, I think there are plenty of other lenses that might do the trick that are way cheaper.

Thank you for your help!

I'm not coming at you or anything, but why would you spend 3500$ on a camera body without knowing the worth of an L lense?

I'm pretty much a Nikon guy, so Canon products are pretty new to me, but I've taken big interest on the Mark III. I've thought about upgrading to the Nikon D600 or D800, but reading the specs and trying out the Mk III made me lean towards that camera.

Last edited:
I currently shoot with a Nikon D90. I'm used to shooting with Nikon products, but I tried a friend's 5D MkIII a few times and I loved it. He didn't have an L series lens on his camera, so I just wanted insight on how much different the regular Canon lenses are vs. the L series lenses.
Thank you for your help!
I'm pretty much a Nikon guy, so Canon products are pretty new to me, but I've taken big interest on he Mark III. I've thought about upgrading to the Nikon D600 or D800, but reading the secs and trying out the Mk III made me lean towards that camera.

IMO putting anything other than an L Lense on a markIII is a disgrace, with a few exceptions.

Thank you for your help!
I'm pretty much a Nikon guy, so Canon products are pretty new to me, but I've taken big interest on he Mark III. I've thought about upgrading to the Nikon D600 or D800, but reading the secs and trying out the Mk III made me lean towards that camera.
What do you shoot though? Nikon has some good lenses too and the dynamic range is outstanding compared to Canon.

IMO putting anything other than an L Lense on a markIII is a disgrace, with a few exceptions.

He's in the process of saving up for an L lens. We're college students,man. You know how that can be :lol:

What do you shoot though? Nikon has some good lenses too and the dynamic range is outstanding compared to Canon.

I mostly shoot portraits. I'll shoot landscape photos sometimes, but portraits are more of my focus.

i shot nikon for a bit, the way i see it

Canons prime's >>>>>>Nikon's

Nikon's zoom lenses >>>>> Canon's

the camras is all really preference but nikons tend to be cheaper than their canon counterparts, but nikon lenses are a bit more pricey.

I'd stay on the Nikon system and upgrade to the D800 if i were you. Both have excellent lenses but I really dont see a reason to take a new system and camera over good upgrade and maintaining your current lenses. But if you want to blow money and it makes you happy go for it.

but always remember:
"Your camera doesn't matter" -Ken Rockwell

Raises hand*

Other people shoot Nikon as well. It's preference but I prefer Canon lenes over Nikons but thats me.

I've seen your work and it's great! Been following your blog since last year. Good stuff!...I'm on the hunt for a 10.5mm f/2.8 for a decent price.

I'd stay on the Nikon system and upgrade to the D800 if i were you. Both have excellent lenses but I really dont see a reason to take a new system and camera over good upgrade and maintaining your current lenses. But if you want to blow money and it makes you happy go for it.

but always remember:
"Your camera doesn't matter" -Ken Rockwell

It's really still up in the air. I'm still considering the Canon, but like you said, I'd save a lot more money with the lenses I have now if I upgrade to the D800. I've got some time to really think about it.

Thank you for help, though!

am i the only one with a sony?

I feel ya, I shoot with a fuji and the conversation is always nikon/canon. What Sony do you shoot with?

I wish I could justify a 5D III and some L glass but unless I'm getting paid for my work its not happening

I said this before but I would go get a Nikon D800 if I had the money before I went back to a Canon. I just love the user interface, the body, feel, and just everything really. With that and the 14-24mm lens, I'd be set for what I do anyways.

i shot nikon for a bit, the way i see it

Canons prime's >>>>>>Nikon's

Nikon's zoom lenses >>>>> Canon's

the camras is all really preference but nikons tend to be cheaper than their canon counterparts, but nikon lenses are a bit more pricey.
This.

Back
Top Bottom