The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

damn havent picked up my camera since my photo class in november/december...:smh:...just got a new car so it should get me back into taking pics...just need ps now

Last edited:
all packed and ready for tomorrows wedding

Really good advice in here :pimp:
Here's some of the very FIRST (non-film) photos I've ever taken, I'm up for any and all criticism.

not a lot of post processing done since my laptop screen is broken :frown:

Last edited:
I played around with my friends Canon 5D MKII and man I gotta say I loved it. Shot around with the 50mm and it sure as hek beats my D3100 any day of the week. Thinking about making the switch from Nikon to Canon now.
Why? Those are different tiers of camera bodies. Thats like me owning a canon T2i and trying out a D800 then saying I'm moving to Nikon.

Yeah being that you are a Nikon shooter I'm sure if you try out a d800 or d700 you'd be just as impressed.....can't compare a d3100 to a mkii

Really good advice in here
pimp.gif

Here's some of the very FIRST (non-film) photos I've ever taken, I'm up for any and all criticism.

not a lot of post processing done since my laptop screen is broken
frown.gif
Not a bad start. I think you should focus more on the people on the stairs and crop out the heads in the foreground. Use the pilars to frame the people. As for the food, its really dope. none of your pics are bad, but these two caught my attention. 

As for me, I just learned about the NT photography thread. I've had my DSLR for about a year now. I've been learning slowly. Just took this shot today

[COLOR=#red]:smokin New kid on the block. Next purchase is the Carl Zeiss 16-80mm lens and I'll be shooting pretty in no time. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
Anyone interested in a like new Canon 40mm f/2.8?

Gotta sell mine since I haven't used it once since I got the Sigma 30 1.4...

Let me know.

Why? Those are different tiers of camera bodies. Thats like me owning a canon T2i and trying out a D800 then saying I'm moving to Nikon.

I know they're totally different camera bodies but it got me thinking about all the other options that canon offers. Lenses are cheaper for canon but I guess I haven't looked into the other Nikon's that are out there. I want to get a prime lens but I'm thinking about getting a different full frame body. Any suggestions on upgrading from a D3100?

Not looking to spend a fortune here lol.

Last edited:

I know they're totally different camera bodies but it got me thinking about all the other options that canon offers. Lenses are cheaper for canon but I guess I haven't looked into the other Nikon's that are out there. I want to get a prime lens but I'm thinking about getting a different full frame body. Any suggestions on upgrading from a D3100?

Not looking to spend a fortune here lol.
Upgrading to a full frame is going to be a fortune whether on Nikon or Canon. How long have you had your D3100? You can get good shots out of it.

Looking through for flickr photostream, I see you shoot primarily with an 18-200 and 18-55 still pretty good lenses for general shooting in daylight. Judging by your shots and the exif data you like to shoot with a wide focal length. I'd recommend the DX 35mm 1.8G. Cheap (can be had for around $100), fast (f/1.8 ), light, and great image quality.

You'd be better off getting the prime and improving you skills instead of the camera. I'd say you only need to upgrade if you need more capabilities for shooting and more functionality on your body. If you must upgrade, go for the D7000. Still a crop sensor, but one of the best Nikon has to offer in recent years. Going for about $800 now in some places.

Last edited:
Upgrading to a full frame is going to be a fortune whether on Nikon or Canon. How long have you had your D3100? You can get good shots out of it.

Looking through for flickr photostream, I see you shoot primarily with an 18-200 and 18-55 still pretty good lenses for general shooting in daylight. Judging by your shots and the exif data you like to shoot with a wide focal length. I'd recommend the DX 35mm 1.8G. Cheap (can be had for around $100), fast (f/1.8 ), light, and great image quality.

You'd be better off getting the prime and improving you skills instead of the camera. I'd say you only need to upgrade if you need more capabilities for shooting and more functionality on your body. If you must upgrade, go for the D7000. Still a crop sensor, but one of the best Nikon has to offer in recent years. Going for about $800 now in some places.

Thanks for the info. Yea I only have those 2 lenses as of right now. I'm looking to do more landscape photography as well as shooting cars in the near future. Was thinking about the 50mm lens for the landscape but as far as shooting cars goes I'm guessing 35 would be better for those up close shots? What would be a good comparison for the D7000 with Canon?

[COLOR=#red]FIRST time ever taking real pictures with my camera today. Only had the camera since Monday and this is my first DSLR. Been doing a lot of research on how to use it . All the pictures shown have not been edited in any way and have been done in manual mode...everything shown is from the settings in my camera. Not bad for a first timer... I have more I'll upload later.
[/COLOR]

Thanks for the info. Yea I only have those 2 lenses as of right now. I'm looking to do more landscape photography as well as shooting cars in the near future. Was thinking about the 50mm lens for the landscape but as far as shooting cars goes I'm guessing 35 would be better for those up close shots? What would be a good comparison for the D7000 with Canon?
As far as a Canon counterpart I'd assume the 60D (a Canon user can probably verify). The 50mm's are full frame FX lenses and would be too long on a crop sensor for landscape. The 35 would be decent enough for landscape, but you may want wider.

Play around on this site http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/. You can mess around with focal length to get an idea of what you would see out of the camera. It allows you to see the angle of view when switching between FX/DX lenses and bodies.

Dont know why but I like this shot

Just a few pics I have taken recently . Still trying to learn the ins and outs of this camera. Really need to upgrade from this kit lens :lol:

As far as a Canon counterpart I'd assume the 60D (a Canon user can probably verify). The 50mm's are full frame FX lenses and would be too long on a crop sensor for landscape. The 35 would be decent enough for landscape, but you may want wider.

Play around on this site http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/. You can mess around with focal length to get an idea of what you would see out of the camera. It allows you to see the angle of view when switching between FX/DX lenses and bodies.

I've messed around with that before but I guess I should try them out before I actually purchase one. Right on for the help!

Feedback is highly appreciated and welcomed!

I agree with LA08NATIVE this photo has potential if taken to photoshop/lightroom.

Back
Top Bottom