The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Nice shots, I miss PI! love the last shot, maybe place it on a rock next time?

I'm tryin to go there February, and maybe bring my camera. I'm a little scared to bring it and it get stolen. Last time I went, back in 2009, I just shot with my G10.

acting a fool at last weeks wedding...lol

I know I'm always asking about gear, but what lens did you use here?? This is tack sharp man. I love this shot.

That's what I had figured. You always speak very highly of this lens. I look down on my 24-105 because of you :smh:

Did you shoot this at 1.4 and just with the ambient lighting or did you have an off camera flash?

That's what I had figured. You always speak very highly of this lens. I look down on my 24-105 because of you :smh:

Did you shoot this at 1.4 and just with the ambient lighting or did you have an off camera flash?

You can't compare a zoom lense to a prime bro, so don't feel bad man...the 24-105 is good in its own terms.

I try not to shoot wide open, so off the top of my head I shot this at I say 1.8 I don't use any off camera lighting, all I do is bounce flash...depending on the venue and ambient lighting this technique had been clutch to me in order to capture some good ambient and get the subjects well exposed.

You can't compare a zoom lense to a prime bro, so don't feel bad man...the 24-105 is good in its own terms.

I try not to shoot wide open, so off the top of my head I shot this at I say 1.8 I don't use any off camera lighting, all I do is bounce flash...depending on the venue and ambient lighting this technique had been clutch to me in order to capture some good ambient and get the subjects well exposed.

This is one of my downfalls. I'm blaming it on my camera for now haha. Once I get something with better ISO sensitivity it will be on like Donkey Kong...

Thanks for the info man. The 24L seems like something special. I do realize that I can't really compare the 24-105 to the 24L, but I've been really eyeing the 24L for quite some time now. I've fallen in love with that focal length and almost every image I see from it is super sharp.

I enjoy the 24-105 and it's been great for me. Sometimes it's not as sharp as I'dI like it to be though and obviously it's not as fast.

On another note, does anyone use back button focusing?

Thank you guys for the comments. For you in the United States the seeing things gallery might be the best option. Not sure how much they will price it, i would say around 10 bucks, i will let you know when it will be available.

For the guys in the Uk or europe the onegiantarm would be better, again i will let you know when everything is online.

All the best!

Jay

www.amadteapartyphoto.com

popped some extension tubes on the 50L and was really pleased with the results, I had the 100L at one point and it was an awesome macro lense, but it gets to a point where, too much gear is just as bad as not having enough, no need to own a 800$ lense which is pretty big, taking up space in the bag for 2-5 shots at the most, if anyone is looking to buy a macro lense i suggest you try out some kenko ext tubes first.

Thanks for the info man. The 24L seems like something special. I do realize that I can't really compare the 24-105 to the 24L, but I've been really eyeing the 24L for quite some time now. I've fallen in love with that focal length and almost every image I see from it is super sharp.

I enjoy the 24-105 and it's been great for me. Sometimes it's not as sharp as I'dI like it to be though and obviously it's not as fast.

On another note, does anyone use back button focusing?

I keep forgetting to use the back button but I still don't get how that is supposed to be more effecient then using the trigger button. I was using my 24L last Friday shooting that graffitti image and to my surprise, I got a lot of miss focused shots and mind you I was shooting at f/6-8 at times. I just don't get why that lens has such issues hitting its target. Some photos were just flat out blurring. When I had the 85mm, that thing hit its marker most of the time. Again, maybe I have to shoot using the back button to focus.

I keep forgetting to use the back button but I still don't get how that is supposed to be more effecient then using the trigger button. I was using my 24L last Friday shooting that graffitti image and to my surprise, I got a lot of miss focused shots and mind you I was shooting at f/6-8 at times. I just don't get why that lens has such issues hitting its target. Some photos were just flat out blurring. When I had the 85mm, that thing hit its marker most of the time. Again, maybe I have to shoot using the back button to focus.

using back focus button allows you to lock in on target and recompose if you must, which alot of times is what i do....when you use the trigger button to focus, often times when you recompose the camera starts to hunt for a new focus point....at least thats the way i understand it.

That was my understanding too. I started using that method and liked it until I was doing some shooting over the weekend. I mainly used the 24-105 and it seemed like the lens couldn't find its focus. Like something would be maybe 5 feet in front of me and it wouldn't lock on. I'm not sure if it's me, the lens or some setting with my camera I messed around with. It wouldn't happen all the time, but seemed weird.

Back button focus is the best thing i read about in the manual, i would have subject in focus but every time you press the trigger it would refocus taking 2 seconds to get the subject causing you to miss your shot.

[COLOR=#red]Gentleman...let me say this...The TRUE love of photography is independent of the equipment used to produce it...it's all about the image. Sure some devices are more capable of capturing details than others, but the essence is the subject not the machine or the individual who snapped the likeness . 'Tis the appeal of lomography or at least the replication of it. Is why vintage photography possesses so much charm and depth. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
Back button focus is the best thing i read about in the manual, i would have subject in focus but every time you press the trigger it would refocus taking 2 seconds to get the subject causing you to miss your shot.
I switched to back button focus a few years ago and I have never looked back.

[COLOR=#red]Gentleman...let me say this...The TRUE love of photography is independent of the equipment used to produce it...it's all about the image. Sure some devices are more capable of capturing details than others, but the essence is the subject not the machine or the individual who snapped the likeness . 'Tis the appeal of lomography or at least the replication of it. Is why vintage photography possesses so much charm and depth. [/COLOR]

perhaps that was the case in the age of film, but when we talking about making this your business in this new age of digital photography, gear plays an important role, a very important role that is....you go ahead and hire a "photographer" with a 60d and kit lense that claims to be a pro photographer to shoot your wedding....you want to charge for your work, go out and spend like such on building your gear....if you just want to play around, to be honest you dont need much, hell an iphone and a filter will give you some good images if you have an artistic eye, but dont try to even consider taking it further than this with the motto "is the photographer, not the gear" not in a world where everyone and their mother can claim to be a photographer.

as a beginner with a generic d3100 kit, what blogs/sites would you recommend for me to learn more about the camera, modes and techniques? i've found a couple but i wanna see what you guys think. i've checked out some links of the front page and they've been VERY helpful so far

perhaps that was the case in the age of film, but when we talking about making this your business in this new age of digital photography, gear plays an important role, a very important role that is....you go ahead and hire a "photographer" with a 60d and kit lense that claims to be a pro photographer to shoot your wedding....you want to charge for your work, go out and spend like such on building your gear....if you just want to play around, to be honest you dont need much, hell an iphone and a filter will give you some good images if you have an artistic eye, but dont try to even consider taking it further than this with the motto "is the photographer, not the gear" not in a world where everyone and their mother can claim to be a photographer.

[COLOR=#red]

Photo snobbery is real :rofl: :rofl: ain't that serious bro...you take good pictures and you make money...that's cool and all but not exactly groundbreaking.

If you are a pro photographer then it makes sense to spend a lot for a full frame camera or two and a myriad of lenses since the work you do will pay for the camera and equipment many times over.

If not then it doesn't matter as much since there are many great choices that are more than capable without paying the full frame premium and their accompanying lenses.

But photography is full of snobbery, and your post is merely an illustration of it, which illustrates my post even more...where photography is becoming more about the photographer and gear than photography itself. Don't act like my sentiment is not shared by many.

And while we on "real" photographers, it's funny how the new age digital photographers are acting all snobby when back in the day ISO was determined by the film in your camera and couldn't be switched with the push of a button...you had to literally change the film and you had to use dark rooms into order to produce images.

[/COLOR]

Steezy that last pic is nice :smokin
I dont think a d3100 and a kit lens could reproduce that image no matter how good your artistic eye is. The hardware plays a big role...

as a beginner with a generic d3100 kit, what blogs/sites would you recommend for me to learn more about the camera, modes and techniques? i've found a couple but i wanna see what you guys think. i've checked out some links of the front page and they've been VERY helpful so far

Check out FroKnowsPhoto.com. The guy who runs the site, Jared Polin, has some useful videos on YouTube as well. He'll help you get into shooting in Manual mode full time. His Video Guide that he sells may be a little on the pricey side, but I checked it out awhile back and it sums up all of the basic information you need to shoot. Just smaller details I never really thought about before. His 5 minute portraits are pretty cool too. He basically videos an entire photo shoot and it's cool to see what a professional does with his subject and to hear him talk through the session.

Back
Top Bottom