The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

[COLOR=#red]A few people that I have shown my pictures to have said they would buy my photos if I put them on canvas so they could hang them as wall art. I've already found a few sites where I could get that done for a good price and still turn a profit. When/if I start to see enough business coming in I will buy a full frame DSLR which will probably be the Sony A99.

The advantage I have is my school's network, they are very well heeled and supportive of our own. There are plenty of artistic photo opportunities in the College Station area and they go crazy for that type of stuff. [/COLOR]

Why a Sony DSLR?

[COLOR=#red]To be honest I just like semi-translucent technology that Sony uses in their DSLRs. They are very fast cameras since the mirror doesn't move and they have a few features that I like. They have some noise reducing tech built into the camera and I like the articulating screen. The EVF is OLED and since it's electronic it shows information on the screen. All in all the A99 is a very capable and versatile platform. I like the Ziess lenses too.

Now don't get me wrong I have the most respect for Canon and Nikon and their high end products and many would argue their superiority but all in all each manufacturer have great offerings in the Full Frame category. To me it's like BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Canon and Nikon are like Mercs and Bimmers, while Sony is like the nice 3rd alternative analogous to Audi.

The decision isn't final BTW I could very well change my mind when it comes time to drop $3K+.[/COLOR]

Ah ok, don't know much about Sony, but I always thought if you are to go full frame on a camera and drop those 3 stacks you should have more options than what Sony offers...I don't think 3rd party lenses like Tamron, etc are compatible with Sony correct?...I guess Sony to me comes off as bit restrictive when it comes to lenses...I could be wrong as I really don't know much about Sony's DSLR game, specially full frame.

Ah ok, don't know much about Sony, but I always thought if you are to go full frame on a camera and drop those 3 stacks you should have more options than what Sony offers...I don't think 3rd party lenses like Tamron, etc are compatible with Sony correct?...I guess Sony to me comes off as bit restrictive when it comes to lenses...I could be wrong as I really don't know much about Sony's DSLR game, specially full frame.
I think sigma, tamron, tokina, etc do make lenses with sony mounts, but that may just be for the crop bodies. i've read good things about the electric viewfinder and autofocus system, but haven't read into much else.

I ended up returning the D600 I purchased a while back. Great camera, but I realized that I wasn't benefiting that much with Full Frame from my D7000 with how i shoot. Still need to get a second body. Just waiting for a D400 before I pick up the D7100 (or another D7000).

[COLOR=#red]Guys...what is the used camera market like if there even is one. I mean for the high end DSLRs? I usually buy new but just curious.[/COLOR]

there's a ton of used high end dslrs and gear out there. check out the classified sections on POTN or dpreview, craigslist, or the used options on amazon. for canon you can also check out their refurb section, and i believe if you trade in any canon camera (working or not) you get an extra 10% off.

there's a ton of used high end dslrs and gear out there. check out the classified sections on POTN or dpreview, craigslist, or the used options on amazon. for canon you can also check out their refurb section, and i believe if you trade in any canon camera (working or not) you get an extra 10% off.

[COLOR=#red]Ok that's good to know. You guys always come through with the info![/COLOR]

Definitely hit up photography-on-the.net (POTN like mentioned above) for their BST sections... Also they have a good market watch section too.

Only thing I don't like about their transactions is everyone trying to do Paypal Gift.
mean.gif
They'll put their price up and ask for the extra 3% if you want regular paypal.

I think sigma, tamron, tokina, etc do make lenses with sony mounts, but that may just be for the crop bodies. i've read good things about the electric viewfinder and autofocus system, but haven't read into much else.

I ended up returning the D600 I purchased a while back. Great camera, but I realized that I wasn't benefiting that much with Full Frame from my D7000 with how i shoot. Still need to get a second body. Just waiting for a D400 before I pick up the D7100 (or another D7000).

I still think full frame isn't for everyone. If people like shooting with zooms, stick with crop frames since it gives you even more range. The only general thing I see from a full frame is just the quality of the photo looks better but that is me comparing a 21mp Mark II to a 12mp D90. Expecially long exposures, the Mark II just seems to bring out better clarity and even with the color gradients blending together.

[COLOR=#red]Guys...what is the used camera market like if there even is one. I mean for the high end DSLRs? I usually buy new but just curious.[/COLOR]

After market for Cameras are really good. You can get super steals with the right people. My buddy just got a practically brand new Mark III for almost $700 off retail. Lenses are even better since you can get an L-lens for for like $500 off. It just depends if you want used gear.

Question...

If I'm taking a pic, why not keep the shutter speed the fastest? wouldn't that prevent blurriness?

Just depends on what you are shooting. If it is action shots, then having the shutter closed is best to freeze images. But different scenarios, you might want to have your shutter open to capture more light and motion.

For landscapes, this is an example of a long vs short exposure. Same image but different results.

But to do something like this, you need the camera open:

25 minute exposures :wow:

i did a 4 minute exposure the other day and it took my camera like 6 minutes to process the image :lol:

25 minute exposures :wow:

i did a 4 minute exposure the other day and it took my camera like 6 minutes to process the image :lol:

4 minutes is pretty damn long though. How did the image come out?

I am still in need of a new remote. Only been able to do 30 sec long exposures but haven't really been anywhere where I need to do longer. Anyone recommend a remote for a Canon Mark 2?

always wondered how they keep the building (what fongstarr posted) at the right exposure when its open for 25mins .. ND filter? or 2 photos shot and edited? :nerd:

ive always wanted to try star trails

Last edited:

[COLOR=#red]My multi-media "studio" :lol: I'm running professional level software for audio, video, and photo. Logic, Final Cut and Aperture. My camera shoots full 1080p at 60fps and also 24fps for the film look with full autofocus capabilities and manual adjustment. Now i need a MIDI controller for Logic cause using the comp keyboard sucks for me. I can also extend my desktop to my 3D LED screen.

Now I have most of the equipment for the most part it's time to get my skills and education up.[/COLOR]

Just depends on what you are shooting. If it is action shots, then having the shutter closed is best to freeze images. But different scenarios, you might want to have your shutter open to capture more light and motion.

But to do something like this, you need the camera open:

That sky shot :smokin. I need to get out there and try this after I upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom