The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I have the pro. I have it set up Ad-Hoc wifi for when im shooting on location. Raw takes too long to transfer plus I don't need raw unless im doing edits which would be on my computer. I did notice Raws are displayed first, i just wish i could hide the jpgs

quick cheat could be to just pop out that jpeg memory card when you want to review just RAW pics. But since they'd be the exact same pic not sure what difference it makes

I'm not 100% but from my understanding no matter if you shoot. Jpg or raw the display preview is the cameras interpretation of the jpg.

quick cheat could be to just pop out that jpeg memory card when you want to review just RAW pics. But since they'd be the exact same pic not sure what difference it makes

I'm not 100% but from my understanding no matter if you shoot. Jpg or raw the display preview is the cameras interpretation of the jpg.

They're the exact same picture. That's the problem that I'm trying to get around. If my sd card is my backup, then there is no reason why I should be viewing those pics also. For instance let's say I shoot 100 pics right now. The camera will show the 100 from my cf card and then show the 100 from my sd. Exact same pics. say i go thru and delete 20 of them, it will delete the 20 from one card, and not the other. That is fine and dandy until I keep scrolling thru the pics and those 20 on the backup card pop up. To avoid those pics I would have to backtrack thru the pics on the first card. I guess I'm being picky but it would be nice to view only one back and hide the backup card.

keko the images shown on the camera are the jpeg representations. just dislike that i can see the pics jumping from cf card to sd card and that one is nef and one is jpg

Has anyone experienced any issues on their EyeFi card where it doesn't display images if it is over 50% full? I had some issues when I was traveling and I'd get an error display. Then I saved all the photos on my phone and deleted it and it started to work again. I just think it's dumb for a card not to potentially work after it is over 50% full. Unless mine is faulty.

They're the exact same picture. That's the problem that I'm trying to get around. If my sd card is my backup, then there is no reason why I should be viewing those pics also. For instance let's say I shoot 100 pics right now. The camera will show the 100 from my cf card and then show the 100 from my sd. Exact same pics. say i go thru and delete 20 of them, it will delete the 20 from one card, and not the other. That is fine and dandy until I keep scrolling thru the pics and those 20 on the backup card pop up. To avoid those pics I would have to backtrack thru the pics on the first card. I guess I'm being picky but it would be nice to view only one back and hide the backup card.

keko the images shown on the camera are the jpeg representations. just dislike that i can see the pics jumping from cf card to sd card and that one is nef and one is jpg
There is no other way around it unless you shoot overflow. With overflow and raw+JPEG, playback will show just one image. If you delete it, both the raw and JPEG will be deleted.

well that sucks. I would think that they would make that an option. No reason for me to see 2 copies of the same picture. Guess i will have to get used to it

Two more from this weekend.

lifted-research-group-2a.png
saturday-night-lights-1.png

Can someone recommend a cool intro photography camera on a budget ~$300 or less?

Really trying to get into this.

Also, is it necessary to take a class in photography or a workshop or can you learn most of it by yourself from books, videos, and the internet?

Can someone recommend a cool intro photography camera on a budget ~$300 or less?

Really trying to get into this.

Also, is it necessary to take a class in photography or a workshop or can you learn most of it by yourself from books, videos, and the internet?

Youtube for sure and just random websites can help you out. One of the best things if you know someone is just to shadow someone or even ask them questions. I am one of those learners that need hands on guidance. Sometimes even after looking at a video, I have a hard time still understanding it.

And as far as a $300 budget, you are going to have to get something on the older side and even used. Unfortunately digital photography is about technology and the newer the camera, the better the photos.

Try the Canon T1i on Craigslist. I think used, they go for $300.

Damn.......drones are really where it's at with video right now. Literally getting shots you would normally have to get while in a helicopter or large dolly. This video is pretty wild.

Amazing.

Pricey though... Lawd... But I guess you get what you pay for.

I really want a phantom 2, but I want to get a new camera body first and then maybe buy one of those batboys next year around this time.

I was thinking about just getting a remote helicopter and mounting a go pro on it, but for the price of everything, I might as well just get a drone.

I live near an air force base though, don't know how well that will work out as far as getting shot down :x

Last edited:
Nice shots. I like your website man. How did you get the opportunity to write for fatlace and the hundreds?

Thanks dude.

The whole Fatlace and even The Hundreds really had to do with Niketalk actually. I found out about Niketalk through the owner of Fatlace when I was in college. He had his own site with some links and NT was one of them. This was when the shoe craze was huge at the time so I got on NT just to get the heads up on when things were dropping. During this time also was when the streetwear game was getting big too and The Hundreds was just a small company that used to get promoted on here. So just from being on here for so long and knowing about these brands and just having an active lifestyle, they both hit me up to see if I wanted to blog on their site and I agreed to. It has it's pros and cons but I really wish (more so) The Hundreds hit me up like 5 years ago when I was really going out in SF like everyday. I am 33 years old now and just don't have that ambition like I used to but luckily SF still provides so much content where it's easy.

It's fun though and I like shooting for the most part as long as it doesn't interfere with my regular life. Ironically I am on NT so much cause work is slow and I have access to it. Haha. Wish i could be out shooting all day like the other guys.

So today I was telling my professor that iv always manually focused my lens. I explained to him why I choose to and it's because I like having control of my camera as if it were a film camera. So he told me NOT to focus manually and to just let it auto focus because it works better and the camera would perform better. I had a zoom lens on my camera at the time. I wasn't sure if he was only talking about zoom lens or lens in general. Had me questioning because I thought the skill was to control all of your camera.

I kinda understood what he was trying to say but really? I know shooting for weddings and all that you are better off in auto since you don't wanna miss your focus. But shooting like that all the time? Idk

Just a thought. Maybe he was just talking about focusing with a zoom lens and I miss understood.

what kind of photo class is it?

if it's like an intro/beginner course it'd make sense for him to say that

Yea intro, even though its all basic photography I thought they would tell us to do everything in M including focusing.

I've had this conversation with a photographer. My opinion, since this is digital photography, might as well utilize what the camera does. I only use manual focus if my camera just has a hard time focusing and mostly that is when I am doing long exposures at night when the camera can't lock on right. Normally I wouldn't manual focus just cause it's not only slow but I don't even have that trained eye that can see if my subject is fully in focus or not. I don't agree with you professor that it shouldn't be done but I wouldn't say it's totally effective either. One thing it will train you to do though is learn how to focus manually on say film cameras.

Yea intro, even though its all basic photography I thought they would tell us to do everything in M including focusing.

Yeah, that's a good reason why he would prefer you to use AF for now. You're probably a little advanced compared to other students as well.

So today I was telling my professor that iv always manually focused my lens. I explained to him why I choose to and it's because I like having control of my camera as if it were a film camera. So he told me NOT to focus manually and to just let it auto focus because it works better and the camera would perform better. I had a zoom lens on my camera at the time. I wasn't sure if he was only talking about zoom lens or lens in general. Had me questioning because I thought the skill was to control all of your camera.

I kinda understood what he was trying to say but really? I know shooting for weddings and all that you are better off in auto since you don't wanna miss your focus. But shooting like that all the time? Idk

can't say that I could know the rationale by which your professor came to that assertion, but it makes sense insofar as by NOT using autofocus your are losing some of your camera's functionality; by extension not fully learning the camera & therefore if you ever need to use af you may not know in what circumstances it works best/least. i don't think the goal is necessarily for a photography class to teach people to be skilled camera(wo)men, the camera is just a tool by which we communicate some thing, it is/can be a way of seeing the world that the camera (with all its capability) helps you capture...given that why would make that more difficult by fiddling with the camera controls (if in fact the camera can capture what you want without having to fiddle with its controls!)

that being said, I love manually focusing too!

He explained it somewhat similar and said to just use what the camera has to offer. I understand where it all comes from though. Im gonna keep manually focusing but wont mind letting it on auto once in a while

Back
Top Bottom