The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Sure, here are some examples.

Using nikk_la's pics cause that's the easiest one for me to find right now. I'm not trying to go for the exact look, but I do want to learn more about post processing - and I'm pretty sure these are done PP, unless my memory

Is this just coloring filters + HDR?

could be, also may be adjusting the white balance, could be split toning, or playing with the H(ue) S(aturation) L(uminance) of individual colors, could be as simple as the specific conditions at the time of capture or an instagram/vsco filter or a maybe multiple filters? the blacks looked clipped (no %100 true black) in all those images, what do you use to edit? try looking up tutorials on editing city/nightscape photos it will probably to help figure some things out

Question guys, I currently have a nikon d5100, would it be a upgrade or down grade if I got a canon 60d?

I see a lot of posters posting photos from Flickr.

Can I ask what makes you guys use that service?

Are there other online photo services you guys use?

Macro shots on the rx100. Still messing with it.

I see a lot of posters posting photos from Flickr.

Can I ask what makes you guys use that service?

Are there other online photo services you guys use

flickr I believe gives the most free space, there is also 500px, smugmug...of course tumblr and the like; I'm sure there are more but these are what i could think of...

Last edited:
D
Ah, I always thought the 60d was a better camera.
Perhaps I should be looking into getting a nikon d90 or a d7000? Or maybe a canon 70d? I basically want to get away from the "entry" level slr And get like a mid range slr

D7100 was really fun.

Do you still shoot on auto though? If you do there is no reason for you to upgrade.

Last edited:
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Nikon-D5100

Looks like they're pretty much even.

*DISCLAIMER: I have ZERO experience with either camera.

Ah, I always thought the 60d was a better camera.
Perhaps I should be looking into getting a nikon d90 or a d7000? Or maybe a canon 70d? I basically want to get away from the "entry" level slr And get like a mid range slr

You got to look at what they're comparing on the site and see which stats really matter to you.

In anycase I always saw them on different competitive tiers between Nikon on Canon:

7D / 7Dii vs D300 / D300s/??

60D / 70D vs D7000 / D7100

T3i / T4I / T5I vs D5100 / D5200 / D5300

T3 / T4 / T5 vs D3100 / D3200 / D3300

It's weird how Nikon and Canon have so many bodies these days that there is no straight answer in getting the right camera. For example, if i was to go the Nikon route, I would totally get the D7000/D7100 as an entry level camera rather than the more basic models. I know price can be a factor but that really is the solid starter camera for beginners and actually is the only advanced crop sensor for Nikon at the moment. From there, it;s really a choice of whether or not you want to go full frame or keep it crop cause the next camera up from that should either the D610. Getting the cheaper models just seems like a waste of money imo because people get that and then want to get a D7000 when they should have already gotten that from the start.

With Canon, I think the Rebels are a decent camera and the 60D/70D never seemed to justify in buying those cameras. I even tell people to get a Canon 7D as a starter since you can find them for cheap now. But with both companies, having that cheap full frame sort of throws everything off now. Full frames used to always be well over $2k and knowing you can get one now for say $1,900, it's almost worth saving up for that than starting out with a budget camera. I've had an odd path myself which reminds me how much money I wasted. I had a Canon G9 (used for 6 months cause I thought DLSRs were too big at the time), Canon XTi (2 years), Nikon D90 (3 years), Canon Mark 2 (1 year) and now Canon Mark 3 (1 year).

It's weird how Nikon and Canon have so many bodies these days that there is no straight answer in getting the right camera. For example, if i was to go the Nikon route, I would totally get the D7000/D7100 as an entry level camera rather than the more basic models. I know price can be a factor but that really is the solid starter camera for beginners and actually is the only advanced crop sensor for Nikon at the moment. From there, it;s really a choice of whether or not you want to go full frame or keep it crop cause the next camera up from that should either the D610. Getting the cheaper models just seems like a waste of money imo because people get that and then want to get a D7000 when they should have already gotten that from the start.
I agree. I have the D7100 and looking back, really wish i woulda stepped up and got the D610. Honestly don't even know why I didn't

But any camera is good for entry because all the adjustments are the same. its just a question of how invested do you want to be in photography

Same boat. Had a D3100. After 4 months went to the D5100 because I wanted a swivel screen. A year later went to a used D7000 because I could use cheaper lenses without a built in focus motors and I liked viewing the exposure settings on the top of the camera body. I'd definitely recommend the latter as well for anyone wanting to pick up a DSLR and intend on using it a lot.

Was it posted in this thread how Yahoo is selling people's work from flickr and the users receive no profit? I don't even use my flickr account much anyway simply because I hate having to use a yahoo login.

^^^^I feel like one day I might do that and if so, it will add to my list of "money wasted on photography" list above.

Same boat. Had a D3100. After 4 months went to the D5100 because I wanted a swivel screen. A year later went to a used D7000 because I could use cheaper lenses without a built in focus motors and I liked viewing the exposure settings on the top of the camera body. I'd definitely recommend the latter as well for anyone wanting to pick up a DSLR and intend on using it a lot.

Was it posted in this thread how Yahoo is selling people's work from flickr and the users receive no profit? I don't even use my flickr account much anyway simply because I hate having to use a yahoo login.

Someone posted that in there a couple of pages back. I am glad I never upload full res photos because of it. All my stuff posted everywhere is only web friendly but I am sure people can still use it to a degree.

Yahoo continues to suck. The wonder they need to do this to make some change.

The more I see people in here making the move to mirror less makes me think I made a mistake by getting the 6D and should've gone mirror less instead.

ediaz411 ediaz411 If you're looking to sell that 580EXII I might be interested :nerd:

Last edited:
The more I see people in here making the move to mirror less makes me think I made a mistake by getting the 6D and should've gone mirror less instead.

ediaz411 ediaz411 If you're looking to sell that 580EXII I might be interested :nerd:

I don't regret getting a 6D, but I am curious as to how mirror-less cameras compare to DSLR's out in the work field.

For all of us with pics on Flickr:

How to stop Yahoo from cashing in on your Flickr images

If you post Flickr images with a commercial-use creative commons license, Yahoo has a little surprise: it will soon be free to sell them and keep all the money. It recently decided to peddle canvas prints of selected photos for up to $50, taking 100 percent of the revenue from creative commons users who permit free use of their images. That contrasts with a recent decision it made to give select users with non-commercial-use licenses 51 percent of sales for the same "Wall Art" collections. The new policy has made many of the site's devotees upset -- especially pro account users -- who say that while they're fine with third-party companies using their photos, they're not fine at all with Flickr itself selling them for profit.
Though Yahoo isn't breaking any laws, some feel it has broken the circle of trust with its large community of photographers. Flickr co-founder Stewart Butterfield told the WSJ that "it's hard to imagine the revenue from selling prints will cover the cost of lost goodwill." There is something that artists can do to stop Yahoo from using their work: switch the creative commons license to deny commercial use. Unfortunately, such a scorched-earth approach would also heavily reduce the supply of photos available to other businesses or non-profit groups.

I enjoy looking at the photos posted in here, they're quite awesome and I hope my skills and understanding of photography does elevate to that level someday.

I've been doing a lot of lurking when I'm on here, but really want to take my photography skills to the next level. I figure this would be a great thread to keep me motivated on my journey.
I went to a studio for the first time, I took some photos, and the ones I thought looked great on the LCD of my T4i didn't look as sharp when I zoomed in them =/. I want to master this camera and take really good photos.

Some images this past weekend. Got a new lens, 105mm F/2.8 Micro (Macro). Lens is amazing. Will post some up close images this week. The first three images are from the macro lens being used as a telephoto purpose test.

More on the blog.

IG - @dunksrnice
www.dunksrnice.net

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom