The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Some pics from some weeks ago sorry if they're small idk how to post from Flickr on mobile

Dope shots everyone. Really seeing a lot of improvement in here.

Anyone shoot with a 70-200? Just got this bad boy in today and I'm looking forward to shooting with it. Was just wondering anyone had any experience with whatever equivalents there are out there and what kind of shots you took. I know it would make a great portraits/sports,wildlife lens, but just wanted NT's insight!

DSC00893.jpg by gbrldz, on Flickr

DSC00889.jpg by gbrldz, on Flickr

Dope shots everyone. Really seeing a lot of improvement in here.

Anyone shoot with a 70-200? Just got this bad boy in today and I'm looking forward to shooting with it. Was just wondering anyone had any experience with whatever equivalents there are out there and what kind of shots you took. I know it would make a great portraits/sports,wildlife lens, but just wanted NT's insight!

i have a 70-300, scooped it up for the low randomly; it isn't a constant aperture though...and i almost never use it other than when i travel; even then i find it really hard to use because it is somewhat cumbersome to use, plus i have other, faster lenses in that focal length that i'd rather use

some more photos:

storm troopers x st. patty's by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Untitled by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

focus by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

formations by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

sun rising over roxbury by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

and my other steed:

angluar by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Dope stuff tokes! What camera body/lens combo did you use to capture the pics with the people in them?

Dope stuff tokes! What camera body/lens combo did you use to capture the pics with the people in them?

thanks, the camera body i most use is a sony a7r, for the lens(es) for the pics; which ones in particular? you can also hit the links to the flickr page and i usually tag my photos with the lens i used.

My roommate asked me to take a couple shots of him for his website. He didn't specify what kind, so I'm assuming portraiture/headshots. Any tips?

I'm working with:
Nikon D3200
Bower 8mm f/3.5
Nikon 35mm f/18G
Nikon 18-55mm kit
Nikon 55-200mm kit

I JUST PURCHASED A SPEEDLIGHT (NIKON SB-500) AND DIFFUSER FOR INDOOR SHOOTING.

ANYBODY HAVE ANY QUICK DO'S AND DONT'S TO SUGGEST?

IM NEW TO THE SPEEDLIGHT USAGE

Last edited:
My roommate asked me to take a couple shots of him for his website. He didn't specify what kind, so I'm assuming portraiture/headshots. Any tips?

I'm working with:
Nikon D3200
Bower 8mm f/3.5
Nikon 35mm f/18G
Nikon 18-55mm kit
Nikon 55-200mm kit

If portraiture or headshots, I'd mostly utilize the 35mm and 55-200. 18-55 for some wider shots. But as for portraits, maybe you can use outdoors and put the 55-200 at 200 to get some good bokeh.

I'm working with:
Nikon D3200
Bower 8mm f/3.5
Nikon 35mm f/18G
Nikon 18-55mm kit
Nikon 55-200mm kit
Ask him what type of photos he is expecting to have taken and where. I wouldn't just assume anything.

Nice photos everyone,

First time in here but I have a few questions as i am looking to upgrade my camera soon. (I apologize as this got lengthier than intended)

Ill be getting rid of my GH2 soon, its not bad but i do not want to feel limited by the brand in the future.

Don't get me wrong the cameras are great, the new a6000 from sony is a beast of a mirrorless as well, but i just feel like i will get more bang for my buck on the canon and nikon side for lenses.

I've narrowed my choice to one of 3 systems, price is a factor, id rather save the cash if possible will buy older cameras used.

- D7200 - really like the fact that it is better suited to fast shooting ( I haven't shot any sports, but my biggest reason I'm leaning towards this is the buffer upgrade) NFC and wifi I'm not as worried about, for now the eye-fi card does what i need.

- d7100 - Pretty much listed my only concern above, but how often would i be limited by the buffer realistically?

- Canon 70D - i would like the flexibility for good video which is why i really picked my GH2 to begin with, have not done much with videos honestly though. Seems shooting speed is on par with D7200, which is a big plus over 7100, I dont know if the trade off in picture quality would be negligeable and the gains in video performance would be worth it.

The savings on the 70D and d7100 would be nice to put towards a great first lense.

TLDR: My real question is this, i don't think i would be unhappy with any of the three but think i would ideally like the 70D, i just wonder if the picture quality be noticeably worse than a 7100/7200?[ Mainly interested in portraits, and nature type shots. As well as sneaker shots lol./SIZE]

Last edited:
@dprince89 The D7100 is probably the best bang for you buck camera out there. Is the $200 upgrade worth the D7200 over the D7100? Some think so, and some disagree. What kind of lenses are you looking for? I can't help but think you're knocking mirrorless off only because of lenses.

Are you going to be shooting sports? Do you really need that buffer? I loved the D7100 IQ when I had it. Also, it's video capabilities were straight fire.

@dprince89 The D7100 is probably the best bang for you buck camera out there. Is the $200 upgrade worth the D7200 over the D7100? Some think so, and some disagree. What kind of lenses are you looking for? I can't help but think you're knocking mirrorless off only because of lenses.

Are you going to be shooting sports? Do you really need that buffer? I loved the D7100 IQ when I had it. Also, it's video capabilities were straight fire.

Honestly i mainly use my gh2 for sneaker shots now, i feel like i liked the pictures from my old canon t1i more than the gh2, and i dont use the video enough to justify basing my decision mainly on video. Sp i havent really been inspired to use it much lately, i would mainly shoot portraits, stationary cars, shoes, and would like to work my way to some events maybe, and some struggle rapper music videos :lol:

I do like mirrorless as a concept, i feel with panasonic in particular i dont find many deals, and theres not many alternatives. Sony seems a little better and more supported by 3rd parties like sigma.

i want to invest in a better camera but also something that gives me more access to more lenses at a lower price, i like to haggle in saturated markets.

Last edited:
i want to invest in a better camera but also something that gives me more access to more lenses at a lower price, i like to haggle in saturated markets.

You got me there. I feel you bro. Except the thing is with good lenses, no matter how saturated the market is, there isn't really ever any room with haggling except maybe 15%-30% give or take depending on the lens. The more popular used lenses (I'm talking in full frame here, 24-70, 70-200, 35/50/85 etc) aren't really going to go for more than 30% off retail at least from what I've seen. Pretty on par with the mirrorless second hand market offering. It's the average lenses that I feel you could haggle the most on.

Anyways check out Fuji and Olympus. Fuji has all your ranges covered and out of all their lenses, there are only maybe a couple that aren't really worth mentioning. That's just your general standard kit/zoom stuff. I'll give them this though, their kit lens with the X-T1 (18-55) shouldn't even be considered a kit lens. It's that good. If you do need that super quick autofocus, yeah I'd just stick with DSLRs. Image quality is on par though. Mirrorless is gonna be just as big as DSLRs in 2-3 years.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Can't wait to see your shots. Remember, no matter what, a camera is a tool. Just because you have a great camera doesn't mean you'll have better images.

Back
Top Bottom