The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^Nice

Question, I recently started noticing a glare/spots when I take night shots. I was in the desert and thought it mightve been sand but I dont see any. The camera does have any smudges and the kit lens looks clean. I only notice it at night. Any idea what could be causing this?

I go through stages, where there are things I like shooting more then others......been obsessed with long exposures recently. Currently waiting on a cable release and a ND filter (10 stops down I believe) to come in from amazon. Took most of these in Bay Ridge during the week.

#longexposure #brooklyn #nyc #newyorkcity by Michael Rios, on Flickr

^Nice

Question, I recently started noticing a glare/spots when I take night shots. I was in the desert and thought it mightve been sand but I dont see any. The camera does have any smudges and the kit lens looks clean. I only notice it at night. Any idea what could be causing this?

The sensor on your camera may need cleaning.

^Nice

Post a sample so we can get a better idea. I'm guessing they're hot pixels. It's common to have hot pixels when taking long exposures. You can map those out using the manual sensor cleaning feature and or in post processing using the stamp tool for example. 

@tyisny
 The shots are really dope. They look a bit grainy though? Any idea why that would be?

Been messing around with S (shutter-priority) mode like @bscarrillo427
 suggested. Still don't have a handle on it. One of the results though. Took this picture at around 8pm  yesterday.

Nice man! Just keep at it, you'll get it down.
Like halcyon halcyon suggested, read up on depth of field if you want that "blur". Shooting aperture-priority (A) should help with that too.

My parents are taking me to Cali right after my graduation next Sunday :nthat:
I think we'll be spending some time in San Diego and a couple days in the Bay. What do y'all recommend I do while I'm there? Not necessarily for shooting, I don't mind being a typical tourist lol.

Also, can anyone recommend a good, cheap third-party battery for a Nikon D3200? I've heard good things about Wasabi batteries; anyone have some experience with the brand?

I think we'll be spending some time in San Diego and a couple days in the Bay. What do y'all recommend I do while I'm there? Not necessarily for shooting, I don't mind being a typical tourist lol.

Also, can anyone recommend a good, cheap third-party battery for a Nikon D3200? I've heard good things about Wasabi batteries; anyone have some experience with the brand?

Walk the Golden Gate when you're up in the bay. Great tourist activity and photo spot

Thoughts on the 24-105 L?
Versatile lens, expect vignetting and distortion closer to the 24mm end. If you don't need the 70-105mm focal length, then I would suggest the 24-70mm f/2. I used to use the 24-105 L as my walk around lens but ended up using my 50mm 1.4 more often.

My parents are taking me to Cali right after my graduation next Sunday
nthat.gif

go to the golen gate bridge, golden gate park, twin peaks, sutro baths/lands end, chinatown. there's also a niketown off powell street, as well a nike clearance store in san leandro.

shoot, just look at my instagram feed.
laugh.gif
 that's where all the tourist-y stuff is. just hit me up if you need recommendations for food and whatnot.

Last edited:
bjamez20 bjamez20 Will definitely do this, thanks!

Roderick Kingsley Roderick Kingsley , good looks on the instagram suggestion. A bunch of people I follow are from Cali so I just looked at their geotags and saved the locations. Might have to take you up on those food recommendations. We'll see lol

^Nice

Post a sample so we can get a better idea. I'm guessing they're hot pixels. It's common to have hot pixels when taking long exposures. You can map those out using the manual sensor cleaning feature and or in post processing using the stamp tool for example. 

I deleted most of the better examples. Here are 2 with spots. In certain settings at night I would see the posts. I feel like its probably the lens because I dont notice it with the 50 mm.

Edit - if you're on mobile Idk if you'll be able to see the spots on the top right.

Another example

10qkykg.jpg

Last edited:

I deleted most of the better examples. Here are 2 with spots. In certain settings at night I would see the posts. I feel like its probably the lens because I dont notice it with the 50 mm.

Edit - if you're on mobile Idk if you'll be able to see the spots on the top right.

Another example

10qkykg.jpg

clean your lenses and your sensor. should be doing it regularly to be honest. mirrorless is tricky with cleaning so i just use the airblower to get rid rid of any dust that i can. for lenses i like hoodman lens cleanse because it is a two step process

Is anyone else having problems uploading to Flickr the last couple days? Been trying to upload a few pics and it's constantly failing.

Is anyone else having problems uploading to Flickr the last couple days? Been trying to upload a few pics and it's constantly failing.
I thought it was just me. I tried uploading a bunch last night and it kept telling me I had to reconnect to server or something.

don't have suggestions for what to do in cali, but congrats on getting thru the diploma grind! as cheap third-party batteries, generally it's a bit of a toss up I have had a good experience using non oem batteries and other than them maybe not lasting quite as long but others have had such bad experiences that they only use og joints...

picked up another sony camera, the qx1; it is basically just the sensor & a lens mount that is slightly bigger than a gopro inside the waterproof housing, except the sensor is the size of a crop sensor dslr but only works via a smartphone app...hoping to figure out some way to hack it so that it will shoot video manually

Back
Top Bottom