The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Can anyone suggest a good backpack for traveling with a DSLR? I don't have much gear: a D3200, 3 lenses, batteries, SD cards, etc. I don't have a tripod so that's a non-issue. I also want some room to carry other non-camera things but I don't wanna spend more than $100 haha.

I was looking at the Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L AW. It looks like it really fits my needs but I figured I'd check in here to see if you guys have any other recommendations.

Thanks for the info on that bag. Might cop since I have the same set up as you and you can't beat that price lol

Thanks for the info on that bag. Might cop since I have the same set up as you and you can't beat that price lol
I actually just ordered through B&H a couple minutes ago. I went with the Hot Pepper Red to stand out a little (plus it was $2 cheaper than the blue or black lol).

I saw some for significantly cheaper on eBay and Amazon but I didn't wanna risk getting ripped off

Amazon product ASIN B014F60CGG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lowepro...ckpack-/171786652923?var=&hash=item27ff484cfb

Haven't bought a lens in like 3 years :lol:

Think I'll pick up the 24mm pancake by the end of the year.

Its a great bag.

What is usually in here

-24, 40, 50mm prime lenses
-55-250mm
-18-55 kit lens
-10-18mm

My camera I usually keep in the top compartment.

The storage is roomy......I usually keep extra chargers for my phone, cleaning kits, remote shutter, etc. Also has a tarp thing underneath to pull up and cover the bag in bad weather. Ive had mines for 5-6 months and I am very happy with it.

#lowepro #hatchback by Michael Rios, on Flickr

#lowepro #hatchback by Michael Rios, on Flickr

Anyone in NYC or going to there for the 9/11 and/or Tribute in Lights?

I get out of work at 6pm....gonna run home, grab my gear and head into BK (was thinking of shooting the skyline from the top of the Promenade, then working my way across then down to the pier/park. I probably won't get there till around 730-8ish. I am hoping its not too crowded (I am not counting on it though)

Last edited:
Its a great bag.

What is usually in here

-24, 40, 50mm prime lenses
-55-250mm
-18-55 kit lens
-10-18mm

My camera I usually keep in the top compartment.

The storage is roomy......I usually keep extra chargers for my phone, cleaning kits, remote shutter, etc. Also has a tarp thing underneath to pull up and cover the bag in bad weather. Ive had mines for 5-6 months and I am very happy with it.
Good to hear some feedback on the backpack. My main reason for buying it is for my trip to the Philippines in a month, you think it'd make a good carry-on bag? Mine should be coming in on Monday so I guess I'll find out for myself then

Haven't used my DSLR in the longest so I decided to snap some quick pics of my latest sneaker pickup:

Good to hear some feedback on the backpack. My main reason for buying it is for my trip to the Philippines in a month, you think it'd make a good carry-on bag? Mine should be coming in on Monday so I guess I'll find out for myself then

Haven't used my DSLR in the longest so I decided to snap some quick pics of my latest sneaker pickup:

Yeah if you remove the compartment that holds the camera stuff. I've used it as a carry on a couple of times

Haven't bought a lens in like 3 years :lol:

Think I'll pick up the 24mm pancake by the end of the year.

Speaking of this lens, does anyone have it? I have a Canon 60D and current lenses at the moment are the kit lens and nifty fifty, was thinking of making the 24mm my go-to daily.

In the market for a computer. I currently have a Late 2012 IMac with only 8GB of ram. Thinking about going to a 15inch MacBook Pro. What are you folks using?

If you are keeping the iMac, upgrade the RAM for sure. I have the same one from that year and upgraded it to 16GB of RAM and the thing is runs super fast. I almost wish I did the 32GB but I think 16GB has me covered for what I do.

I also want something portable but wanted almost something that wasn't a damn laptop. I wonder if the new iPad Pro is any good but I want full photoshop and not their APP one. Plus I want options to save as a PS file or even to run RAW files in it and even a port to read my SD card. I am still unsure if the iPad does that or not.

Just came back from Mexico (Puerto Vallarta). Didn't get the epic shots that I wanted but hard to mix vacationing and shooting at the same time. I kind of get what Ksteezy meant when getting a GoPro. That would have been useful there. I'll post my photos soon.

Last edited:
If you are keeping the iMac, upgrade the RAM for sure. I have the same one from that year and upgraded it to 16GB of RAM and the thing is runs super fast. I almost wish I did the 32GB but I think 16GB has me covered for what I do.

I also want something portable but wanted almost something that wasn't a damn laptop. I wonder if the new iPad Pro is any good but I want full photoshop and not their APP one. Plus I want options to save as a PS file or even to run RAW files in it and even a port to read my SD card. I am still unsure if the iPad does that or not.

Just came back from Mexico (Puerto Vallarta). Didn't get the epic shots that I wanted but hard to mix vacationing and shooting at the same time. I kind of get what Ksteezy meant when getting a GoPro. That would have been useful there. I'll post my photos soon.

Yeah I am waiting to hear more about the iPad Pro. If it is much like the Surface Pro where you can run full apps then I'm copping the day it drops. Guess I gotta start doing research.

Speaking of this lens, does anyone have it? I have a Canon 60D and current lenses at the moment are the kit lens and nifty fifty, was thinking of making the 24mm my go-to daily.

Great lens
-excellent price point
-image quality & bokeh are good
-well made, metal mount etc.
-very versatile

Yeah I am waiting to hear more about the iPad Pro. If it is much like the Surface Pro where you can run full apps then I'm copping the day it drops. Guess I gotta start doing research.

Can you do the research and just let me know? Haha. Kidding....kidding.

Well, I answered one thing. Had no idea this existed. I have a 8GB Eyefi Card and I ran out of space when on my trip. The only way to free up room was do wifi transfer photos and it too forever to do just 20 photos to my phone. Going to buy this when I can:

MD822

I saw that the A6000 is getting a $200 price drop. Sony has an announcement coming this Friday (They may announce the A7000)

no a6000 update, but sony did drop the specs for the a7s mkII pretty minor update but will probably be greatly appreciated by cinematographers/videographers wanting to be small & light with the ability to record 4k internally & the image stabilization...it also means a pretty good price drop for the current a7s, which would still be an awesome camera.

it seems like this still essentially is going to be just an even bigger iphone...that you can draw on (which if the pressure sensitivity & the feel of the pen is good might be enough for me) it will have more power and may be on par with some higher spec machines but i don't think they are changing anything fundamentally, it may have some developers building more full-featured, serious apps for it.

Well...I decided to go with the 15 inch Macbook Pro. Really like this thing. Just need to transfer my stuff. Figured I'd be best selling my iMac for $700 or so to pay for half of it. I found this open box for 1500 that was just too good to pass up. I am also selling my A6000 that I never use after I picked up the A7ii. Had to explain it to the wife just like that so she didn't think I was spending too much money. HAHA

Just got home from a crazy day ....

Looked at my feed and it was an avg day until I got a couple of shots that I can say it was worth it.

This is possibly my favorite or second favorite .....

21154221878_77b5d4a31f_c.jpg

Reason being, because it captures what's NYC all about .... Empire State Bldg - Freedom Tower - Statue of Liberty - Tribute to Lights - Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge + Blue Hour.

Last edited:
Just got home from a crazy day ....

Looked at my feed and it was an avg day until I got a couple of shots that I can say it was worth it.

This is possibly my favorite or second favorite .....

21154221878_77b5d4a31f_c.jpg

Reason being, because it captures what's NYC all about .... Empire State Bldg - Freedom Tower - Statue of Liberty - Tribute to Lights - Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge + Blue Hour.

Very dope shot. I was off last night......I was tired from working a double, was gonna mail it in and got a second wind. Went to the Promenade, walked down to BK Bridge Park. It wasn't as packed as I had expected. I felt rushed considering it was in the back of my head that I had another double to do today. Overall I am glad I went, and came away with a handful of shots I was satisfied with.

#nyc #newyorkcity #newyork by Michael Rios, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom