The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I wanna say the difference between Nikon and Canon are basically the quality of the lenses (where I believe statistically Canon wins out by a slight lead) and then matter of opinion or comfort of use.

I've used an old Canon cam around Halloween after using multiple Nikon cams and the controls and arrangements of the buttons and dials are different and come with a decent learning curve but I will prob stay with Nikon just based on the fact that I prefer to conitnue with the settings and camera arrangements I'm used to.

Luckily enough this is a decently small issue to consider because they're both great companies and great cams (I plan on getting the 750 myself) so you win either way.

In other news, we took family photos recently. Unfortunately I did not take the pictures and we went to a studio and we took approximately 90 odd pictures with 4 diff backdrops with props and if we would have purchased prints for all 30 that we originally selected it would've been $600. I was extremely pissed and we eventually dwinddled everything down to 6 photos to print there and we got a CD with all the photos under "standard" resolution so I'll print the rest we want personally. My ownly gripe about the photos they took was that they only took a handful at the proper eye level. So the pics of my son and my daughter mostly have them looking up instead of straight ahead. I'll try to remember to post pics tonight when i get home

I've decided to get me a Nikon d3100 hopefully this weekend so I can get back to taking pics cause that was a waste of $150 for the decent pics we got.

It really is splitting hairs with Nikon and Canon. I always think the best is to just focus on what you want to shoot. Realistically I doubt any average shooter will get every lens in the catalog. Also know what focal range is the most important to you. 50mm alone can be an odd thing to buy within Canon or Nikon. Canon literally has a $100 lens and the next best within the Canon brand is their L lens which is $1,500. Nikon has a $100 lens and then a 1.4G lens for $425 and then a 58mm f/1.4G for $1,700. So if budget can be a concern, than the Nikon would be the cheaper way to get a proper 50mm lens. Of course there is the Sigma Art but you see where I am getting at. Most of the lenses between the two have an odd catch for either or but I find Nikon has a tad bit more cheaper entry level lenses than that of Canon.

It really is splitting hairs with Nikon and Canon. I always think the best is to just focus on what you want to shoot. Realistically I doubt any average shooter will get every lens in the catalog. Also know what focal range is the most important to you. 50mm alone can be an odd thing to buy within Canon or Nikon. Canon literally has a $100 lens and the next best within the Canon brand is their L lens which is $1,500. Nikon has a $100 lens and then a 1.4G lens for $425 and then a 58mm f/1.4G for $1,700. So if budget can be a concern, than the Nikon would be the cheaper way to get a proper 50mm lens. Of course there is the Sigma Art but you see where I am getting at. Most of the lenses between the two have an odd catch for either or but I find Nikon has a tad bit more cheaper entry level lenses than that of Canon.

did you forget the canon 50mm 1.4? it's supposed to be about 75% of quality of the L version at a fraction of the cost (similar in cost to the nikon 1.4)! as i'm not a user of either, I can only go off what i've heard and it seems that canon users rave about the ways it renders colors and is also popular as a video platform, nikon uses sony sensors and manages somehow to squeeze even more dynamic range from them than even sony does in some cases...it is really difficult to find a bad camera these days, you end up paying for capabilities, more af points or better video, wifi, etc.; but what camera system people end up going with probably comes down to comfort...and/or what system(s) their friends/other photos they admire use

might just make sense to just try out the respective systems either by renting or test driving in the store?

did you forget the canon 50mm 1.4? it's supposed to be about 75% of quality of the L version at a fraction of the cost (similar in cost to the nikon 1.4)! as i'm not a user of either, I can only go off what i've heard and it seems that canon users rave about the ways it renders colors and is also popular as a video platform, nikon uses sony sensors and manages somehow to squeeze even more dynamic range from them than even sony does in some cases...it is really difficult to find a bad camera these days, you end up paying for capabilities, more af points or better video, wifi, etc.; but what camera system people end up going with probably comes down to comfort...and/or what system(s) their friends/other photos they admire use

might just make sense to just try out the respective systems either by renting or test driving in the store?

Forgot about that lens. I was looking down a 50mm catalog and must have not seen it. Maybe the 50mm line up is pretty comparible then. I am sure there are other lenses that Canon has that Nikon doesn't in a specific price range and vice versa.

this is what i was referring too. i hate that you are looking down at her, if it was eye level with her it would have been perfect

5ESA41on1Zi5FSCIs9awgrbPXG57r2LSa1m85TJRiKlM4Re0ueNw7hMwTD-czgL7PQmr5w3FcCYRYxH_LPwL9zdsexM2bUlYnSGqYDjvfnIUQFScm8Lp_Q66gcWHmPzXcDXtDFhvw6kIo_TIOy60pkFyr8ksszFTBjKhQsh8sxYDrJJGelIPVIYMJk2F3cTR7G0occy-sQsHtndmqMyLJI3e7iz7SuskTLA4UcuZYaRcACZBtvGUJesjzCxKgWIT_ntA74dCuPsZq8SwEuEKQgWAnSInBK2muLctqT5xpFhus6Vm24YKBGoLk0ujxS8VZJc_2pRtcVwqOmAw0iCUPEb-EqFl7QNGU-3FnAdyjtyxgE1hghSsoO0c2pZYcy580dZwwCb_QC6LXx87eH0KM78qFaXTGgRkLnxYuMtdXghfqoZd3doISfTmToAjoR3wD5qyhQNYNbF8X9gHi2AD4SuQJWNFPszbnMDH5inkLF51bMy8cXdWqSCBoNKWyiFsO8RC1bffksKs3tNVDqsinndqYeasoGGotpwQkSTvMUHL=w484-h657-no

two.oh.6 two.oh.6 awesome site.

reps to all that provided insight and shared their thoughts. i appreciate the small discussion and commentary, it really is helpful to hear yalls thoughts and perspectives. i had been really pushing myself to go out and shoot more to try and get better so it kinda stinks that i don't have anything to shoot with for the next couple of weeks until i get to shop around in singapore. I found it helpful to use the lightroom filters to see which focal length i had used most in an effort to determine which prime to move forward with when the time comes for a new body. needless to say, the 50mm probably wouldn't have been as suitable. anyways, thanks guys

Been doing some holiday mini sessions for some extra cash and to help promote my photography in the area. I know it's not the type of photography that gets posted in here a lot but thought I'd share. 

Been doing some holiday mini sessions for some extra cash and to help promote my photography in the area. I know it's not the type of photography that gets posted in here a lot but thought I'd share. 

Love your editing style.

its very "pinterest-y"

some shots from my second and third rolls. Remember to check my Flickr for more as i dont want to post them all on here lol

Going Up by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Going Down by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Union Square In San Francisco, California by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Union Square In San Francisco, California by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Kendama Action! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Sister by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Audio Technica At4040 With SE Reflexion Filter by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Peppers From The Backyard by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Swing! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Negatives! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Artist at Work by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Altered View by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Soaring High! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Locked up! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

i love seeing it, but every time i attempt in light room i hate how it turns out :rofl:

do you use presets at all?

can you recommend any tutorials?

I don't use any presets, I just use the tone curve tool in LR and then end up just messing around with it a bit until I like it. But here's a pretty good tutorial by one of my favorite wedding photographers! 

https://fstoppers.com/post-production/how-create-popular-matte-look-lightroom-3280

Thank you!!

I'm going to experiment with this.

Haven't posted anything in over a month! Yikes I need to get the camera out more lol. Good stuff everyone! Repped a few of you in the last couple of pages. Awesome shots of the city and the sunrise! southcitydon southcitydon bjamez20 bjamez20

GOT OUT IN THE RAIN TODAY. GOT A FEW SNAPS OF THE WHIP.

Nice man! I've always wanted to do this but it rarely rains here in Cali :frown:. Haven't been able to come across a spot that has a calm puddle of water with a nice backdrop yet.

Something like this:

Still working on tweaking this one but I'm solely using PS since I'm not very good at it. Trying to learn new things here and there from watching youtube videos. BTW did anyone get any shots of the sky today? It had an orange/yellow glaze to it all day.

Last edited:
Question I'm going to the warriors game in a month and was wondering if they'll let me in with my 6d and 28mm. I'm sitting in section 122, not sure if it would be worth it to bring my camera.

Question I'm going to the warriors game in a month and was wondering if they'll let me in with my 6d and 28mm. I'm sitting in section 122, not sure if it would be worth it to bring my camera.
As long as it's 3 inches or less. Sorry, I cant think off the top of my head if your 28mm lens is larger than that.

Back
Top Bottom