The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

If I lived in the PNW this would be copped with the swiftness....those dudes out there really get to juice the capabilities of these things....any big metro area, these things are worthless....all the cool things you would want to shoot like bridges, over the Hudson, most landmarks are off limits....really no point....

Now in the PNW oh boy.

maybe...its definitely a bit tougher in more urban areas because of the signal interference & proximity to airports usually...but impossible if one stays within the set limits/rules, they are super fun though, but it takes some time to get used to them and especially how best to react if/when things get sketchy

Anyone planning a 365...I know we talk about this every year...
Just finished mine and I'm so glad to be done with it :lol:
Quality of my 365 pictures are all over the place

What happens if you fly a drone inside the regulation area? Say for example in a residential area or on treasure island at 1000ft?
You can get fined or even jail time. That being said, last time I was out at Hawk Hill (no fly zone) a couple guys flew their Phantom out over the Golden Gate. Park ranger came out and just told them they had to stop - no fine, nothing. I'm sure that will change as more and more people start flying/breaking the rules
I think I am going to try one. We shall see how it goes. Tried a 365 a year back and it was horrible.

why would would you want to do it again then? why did it go bad? i couldn't see myself doing one, seems like it would not be enjoyable...prolly would be better to pick a subject that holds your interest?

Went to Toronto for the first time

If I lived in the PNW this would be copped with the swiftness....those dudes out there really get to juice the capabilities of these things....any big metro area, these things are worthless....all the cool things you would want to shoot like bridges, over the Hudson, most landmarks are off limits....really no point....

Now in the PNW oh boy.

maybe...its definitely a bit tougher in more urban areas because of the signal interference & proximity to airports usually...but impossible if one stays within the set limits/rules, they are super fun though, but it takes some time to get used to them and especially how best to react if/when things get sketchy

Anyone planning a 365...I know we talk about this every year...
Just finished mine and I'm so glad to be done with it :lol:
Quality of my 365 pictures are all over the place

What happens if you fly a drone inside the regulation area? Say for example in a residential area or on treasure island at 1000ft?
You can get fined or even jail time. That being said, last time I was out at Hawk Hill (no fly zone) a couple guys flew their Phantom out over the Golden Gate. Park ranger came out and just told them they had to stop - no fine, nothing. I'm sure that will change as more and more people start flying/breaking the rules
I think I am going to try one. We shall see how it goes. Tried a 365 a year back and it was horrible.

why would would you want to do it again then? why did it go bad? i couldn't see myself doing one, seems like it would not be enjoyable...prolly would be better to pick a subject that holds your interest?
Funny you say that. I decided to nix it. I decided to do exactly what you said. I had a wedding to shoot today and really just want to focus on that. Had a blast.

I'm barely new to photography, but I really want to get into it way more. Here's a random shot I took of my belt for fun. Let me know what you guys thinks?

no resolutions but for 2016 its

- more models
- more film photos
- fully design a photo book
- more photo sets that tell a story

Lastly, I'd like to put out more photos quicker. As Fongstarr mentioned, Instagram can warp your mind.

need some help NT

Client wants me to take Portraits/Headshots and to be printed out for an event in 2 days. They sent me a photo to be used as background when post processing the photos.

whats the best way to approach this? any tips on how to make things easier?(post process and shoot wise)

:nerd:

no resolutions but for 2016 its

- more models
- more film photos
- fully design a photo book
- more photo sets that tell a story

Lastly, I'd like to put out more photos quicker. As Fongstarr mentioned, Instagram can warp your mind.

the thing i'm always telling myself in general is trying to slow down...often times i'm just getting snapshots of random things that catch me for whatever reason, when a little more thought might have made something more...it is interesting that you say instagram "warps your mind" because any time i read these stories/interviews of people coming up through the gram you can see how it effects their thought process not only on how & what they shoot but also when & what they post and how often even down to specific time frames to catch the most looks, it is much more of an accelerated feedback loop that almost necessarily would alter one's approach...and it permeates everything these days not just photography, these are interesting times

why shoot film? (open question to those that shoot or want to shoot film)

need some help NT

Client wants me to take Portraits/Headshots and to be printed out for an event in 2 days. They sent me a photo to be used as background when post processing the photos.

whats the best way to approach this? any tips on how to make things easier?(post process and shoot wise)

:nerd:

i think if you will be replacing the background anyway the thing that will make that process the cleanest for a relatively smooth experience is an evenly lit clean background when you capture the portraits?

Would anyone be able to stitch some pictures together for me with a more modern PS? I've got CS2 and it can't cope - there's too much lens distortion and it wont match them properly. I've heard that the later versions do a nice job.

I did it myself years ago but can't get it to work now and I'm starting from scratch to try and improve it a bit.

Probably easiest to share a dropbox or something as the final file will be pretty big. It's 7 jpegs that I have here.

Thanks.

Doing some tidying up and found the original files for this picture from almost 9 years ago. It's a similar skyline to a painting my grandfather did which I've always liked so I went out in the summer of '07 to try and do it justice with a photo. I was never too happy with the original.

This is a combination of 3 files to give the foreground and then one for the sky to get rid of the moving clouds.

Edinburgh by kd wallace, on Flickr

need some help NT

nerd.gif
Like tokes said, find a clean background. Something flat and solid color. hopefully something white that won't be that hard to seperate from your subject

the thing i'm always telling myself in general is trying to slow down...often times i'm just getting snapshots of random things that catch me for whatever reason, when a little more thought might have made something more...it is interesting that you say instagram "warps your mind" because any time i read these stories/interviews of people coming up through the gram you can see how it effects their thought process not only on how & what they shoot but also when & what they post and how often even down to specific time frames to catch the most looks, it is much more of an accelerated feedback loop that almost necessarily would alter one's approach...and it permeates everything these days not just photography, these are interesting times

why shoot film? (open question to those that shoot or want to shoot film)
i think if you will be replacing the background anyway the thing that will make that process the cleanest for a relatively smooth experience is an evenly lit clean background when you capture the portraits?

I'm the opposite. I have to force myself to take photos. I'm entering my last semester of grad school so my free time is slim. While interning in NYC this past summer at combs enterprises, I tried to take my camera everyday to shoot whatever. The street photo scene up there is ill so I got to break that uncomfortable feeling of having a camera. Less photo opps where I'm at now.

As far as instagram, I spent way too much time editing for a few likes just to have my photo cropped. That feature where you don't have to crop was necessary. Majority of people just want to see yams...and I'm not mad but at the end of the day likes do nothing for me. I'd rather take that 30mins it takes to edit a photo and post etc to IG and do something more productive.

Shooting film is cool. Feels honest. Although I have no idea what I'm doing. I shot with a vivatar 110 film camera the past few years but I lost it at art basel. Got the negatives from six 24 exposure rolls created from it and got maybe 30 photos.:lol: |I I use a Canon AE-1 when I can. FIlm is expensive and forces you to learn the technical aspects.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom