The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Thanks for the input, guys. I post a lot of pics on IG, *cough* plug *cough*, but they've all been from my iphone and I just want to start poster cleaner pics like the ones you put up, Ben :nthat:

I'm honestly not satisfied with any of the pics I've posted on there, other than my daughter of course :lol:

Thanks for the input, guys. I post a lot of pics on IG, *cough* plug *cough*, but they've all been from my iphone and I just want to start poster cleaner pics like the ones you put up, Ben
nthat.gif

I'm honestly not satisfied with any of the pics I've posted on there, other than my daughter of course
laugh.gif
Wow, never would've guessed your IG was all iPhone. I suppose that just shows how far cell phone cameras have come in the past years.

But yeah, a lens upgrade is definitely a good look, especially for your toy shots.

Thanks for the input, guys. I post a lot of pics on IG, *cough* plug *cough*, but they've all been from my iphone and I just want to start poster cleaner pics like the ones you put up, Ben :nthat:

I'm honestly not satisfied with any of the pics I've posted on there, other than my daughter of course :lol:

a 50mm 1.8 will do wonders for creating background blur. I love your IG btw...

the crop factor for your d3100 will make it effectively a 75mm 2.7 and that will still create amazing background blur assuming:
1 - the distance of the camera and the subject is relatively close
2 - the distance of the subject and the background is relatively far

here are shots i've taken with a nikon d7000 and nikon 50mm f/1.8 G (the same lens you posted)

a 50mm 1.8 will do wonders for creating background blur. I love your IG btw...

the crop factor for your d3100 will make it effectively a 75mm 2.7 and that will still create amazing background blur assuming:
1 - the distance of the camera and the subject is relatively close
2 - the distance of the subject and the background is relatively far

here are shots i've taken with a nikon d7000 and nikon 50mm f/1.8 G (the same lens you posted)

Thanks, James. I'm a big admirer of your work too, those people you shoot for have some pretty amazing pics. And those examples of yours are the exact shots I want to be able to create. Thanks for the tips.

the Surf shot w/ Canon 7D Mark II + Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro + Aquatech Water Housing

Frozen Big Bear Lake shot w/ DJI Phantom 3 Advance + ND8 filter.

^^^^What is lame is I've shot that photo so many times. I was driving back from the East Bay to the city and just caught the right time of day. Decided to just go to Treasure Island for the heck of it and of course there was a flock of other shooters there. But I got my one photo and just left.

But finally I am going to be shooting something with a little more substance. I am doing my cousin's engagement shoot this Saturday. Going to try and get a good set again. Last time I just used a reflector and was really happy with the results. I guess I am better at relying on natural light for now rather than off flash stuff.

Fong...did you park and then hike up to that spot?? I haven't figured out TI beyond the basic/immediately accessible spots.

^^^^Here is the map for where most people shoot on the top of TI. When you get off on TI, it's like the first right before you head where the view point where all the tourists park to look at the city. You want to drive to the top of the hill but it gets confusing at night with it's turns and what not. I went in the day the first time and then at night, it wasn't as difficult. There is about a 3 car parking area up there right in front of the spot but lately security has been kicking people out. The day I went, no one was kicking people out, hence why all the other shooters were there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...89,213m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

The view point you'll get will overlook this view but there is a fence in front but someone just created a whole through it. So my shot was towards the right side after you enter a fence. There is a path so it's nothing too sketchy and there should be another opening with no trees for the view that I got. I shot pretty wide but from that angle, you can get some closer views and more. Bring a combo of long and wide lens and you should be able to knock out a good couple of photos from that view alone.

Bay_Bridge_from_treasure_island.JPG

Also the road sort of has a loop to it. When you drive down there and stay to the left, you go around in a circle and end up in the same area you started. From that loop, there is a fence that faces the Oakland side and you can shoot the East Bound bridge from there. That is where you can get this photo which is what I shot and countless of the people.

fongstarr-thehundredspanoramaEast-Bay-Bridge.jpg

Anyone got tips in getting in this spot on TI? It's boarded up pretty well. Wanted to know if you have to have a ladder to get in:

the-14-most-insane-abandoned-places-in-california

Finally had a Valentine's Day mini session that went well! The kid didn't cry at all or throw himself on the ground, which is obviously a good sign! 
roll.gif

the Surf shot w/ Canon 7D Mark II + Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro + Aquatech Water Housing

Frozen Big Bear Lake shot w/ DJI Phantom 3 Advance + ND8 filter.

You should really display your photos bigger. This photo is dope. You can really see the difference with the macro to non macro.

900x900px-LL-7c600f04_image.jpeg

Went up to Marin yesterday and it's beautiful up there. There are so many spots along the coast that I couldn't go to because of time constraints but I gotta make it up there again during the summer. Got a few shots that I have to edit still but here are two.

Original:

width

SF by Mayank4585, on Flickr

Original:

Accord by Mayank4585, on Flickr

Unedited shot of the lighthouse there

Last edited:
Went up to Marin yesterday and it's beautiful up there. There are so many spots along the coast that I couldn't go to because of time constraints but I gotta make it up there again during the summer. Got a few shots that I have to edit still but here are two.

Original:

width

SF by Mayank4585, on Flickr

Original:

Accord by Mayank4585, on Flickr

Unedited shot of the lighthouse there

Great stuff bro. :pimp:

Hmmm......I am still thinking even though I am finally shooting RAW that I am not doing something right. I've pulled some info from a RAW file but not to the degree of how you had it. Also when I recover shadows, I get tons of grain which almost makes the photo not worth editing. All that was done in Lightroom right? I only use photoshop but refuse to believe I can't edit RAW files as good.

Hmmm......I am still thinking even though I am finally shooting RAW that I am not doing something right. I've pulled some info from a RAW file but not to the degree of how you had it. Also when I recover shadows, I get tons of grain which almost makes the photo not worth editing. All that was done in Lightroom right? I only use photoshop but refuse to believe I can't edit RAW files as good.

it definitely takes a bit more work to mess around with the RAW file and it also takes a bit of trial error to figure out how to shoot RAW for your particular camera (and for what is in the frame)...it could be that canons have a bit more difficulty with pulling up shadows than recovering highlight information? #embracethegrain!

Back
Top Bottom