The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Anyone selling a camera in here?
nerd.gif

hey guys, hope you had a great day

so recently i just bought Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART used one with 1 year warranty left kinda steal, and really loving this lense till this morning, the love to this lens kinda reduced lol

soo, why my love kinda goes down with this lens? the answer is, thefocus system

im shooting at wide open f1.4 with 100iso (image below) but i didnt see anything really sharp focus coming from this lens,
so i have a question rn that kinda messing with my mind.
is it because i shoot at f1.4 or is the focus system kinda f-edup ?

as you can see the image below, i didnt see any focus point at all tbh

im sorry if my english bad, but i really need some lesson today to get better with this lens

thank you fellow nt-ers!

could be few things, shooting wide open with a 1.4 on full frame gives (even with a medium wide angle lens like a 35mm) a really shallow area of focus, so it could be that movement from either holding the camera or the subject moving...or you might need to calibrate the af on the camera or the lens itself (not sure how to do this, but i'm sure you can search for this info), you may have a decentered lens, or it could just be the camera missed focus...it happens...

hey guys, hope you had a great day

so recently i just bought Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART used one with 1 year warranty left kinda steal, and really loving this lense till this morning, the love to this lens kinda reduced lol

soo, why my love kinda goes down with this lens? the answer is, thefocus system

im shooting at wide open f1.4 with 100iso (image below) but i didnt see anything really sharp focus coming from this lens,
so i have a question rn that kinda messing with my mind.
is it because i shoot at f1.4 or is the focus system kinda f-edup ?

as you can see the image below, i didnt see any focus point at all tbh

im sorry if my english bad, but i really need some lesson today to get better with this lens

thank you fellow nt-ers!

High-Res Photo :

Look into buying a Sigma lens dock. I heard those fixes some of the focus issues on the lens. I'm going to buy one myself.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967590-REG/sigma_878306_usb_dock_for_nikon.html

There's a dock for the Canon lens if that's the one you have

Possibly headed back up to the Bay next weekend. Any one you guys wanna link up and shoot sometime?

could be few things, shooting wide open with a 1.4 on full frame gives (even with a medium wide angle lens like a 35mm) a really shallow area of focus, so it could be that movement from either holding the camera or the subject moving...or you might need to calibrate the af on the camera or the lens itself (not sure how to do this, but i'm sure you can search for this info), you may have a decentered lens, or it could just be the camera missed focus...it happens...

Look into buying a Sigma lens dock. I heard those fixes some of the focus issues on the lens. I'm going to buy one myself.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967590-REG/sigma_878306_usb_dock_for_nikon.html

There's a dock for the Canon lens if that's the one you have

thanks for the reply guys!

after some diggin on youtube i finally found the problem and how to fix it, its called front focus problem,

and yep what both of you said its true, i have to re-calibrate the focus system using the Sigma usb dock, and hopefully i can go to the sigma vendor here and ask them to fix the lens for me and hopefully and it better be! a lens that i always wanted! :D:D

ill post and update how it goes after they fixed it ASAP :D

once again, thanks guys!

Took advantage of the great weather today with some shots from my balcony along with a drone shot of my neighbourhood

View of Mt. Rainier under the pink sunset

tumblr_o8c6odLYqT1vu2wf2o1_1280.jpg

Same direction, shot at night with 30 second exposure:

tumblr_o8c6odLYqT1vu2wf2o4_1280.jpg

Two more 30 sec exposure night shots from different directions of the balcony: 

tumblr_o8c6odLYqT1vu2wf2o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8c6odLYqT1vu2wf2o5_1280.jpg

Drone HDR shot of my apartment building along with everything seen in the previous photos:

tumblr_o8c6odLYqT1vu2wf2o2_1280.jpg

Shooting 35mm just really is a challenge in getting the right focus and bokeh. That is what I struggled on with my 24mm f/1.4 cause I would never get portrait shots to look right. by the end of it, shooting that wide is just hard to get that kind of shot and why shooting at 50mm on a full frame gets you better shots at an open f stop. For the 35mm, I would only shoot at like f/2 to get a nice look. Shooting open is just tough to nail but getting your subject matter closer helps in that.

Question. How do you guys upload from Flickr? Or to get that "Full" photo view like the post above?

Question. How do you guys upload from Flickr? Or to get that "Full" photo view like the post above?

Couple options.

When you're on the photo page, on the bottom right there's a download button. Click that, and view all sizes. Right click on the image and copy that link.

Post that link here using the image tags.

Or you can click the share button. Copy the embed link and post that here.

Couple options.

When you're on the photo page, on the bottom right there's a download button. Click that, and view all sizes. Right click on the image and copy that link.

Weird - I tried copying the embed but it didn't work at first. I'll try again on my next photos. Thanks

Couple options.

Weird - I tried copying the embed but it didn't work at first. I'll try again on my next photos. Thanks

Hover over your name on NT at the top right. Click preferences. Check if your preferred editor is "BB Code Editor".

Last edited:

Couple options.

I just open image as new tab and click and drag into the NT tab and into the text box

Shooting 35mm just really is a challenge in getting the right focus and bokeh. That is what I struggled on with my 24mm f/1.4 cause I would never get portrait shots to look right. by the end of it, shooting that wide is just hard to get that kind of shot and why shooting at 50mm on a full frame gets you better shots at an open f stop. For the 35mm, I would only shoot at like f/2 to get a nice look. Shooting open is just tough to nail but getting your subject matter closer helps in that.

thats true about shooting with wide lens bro, but sadly with this lens(sigma lens) a lot of them have this problem :

and the only way to fix it is to buy the USB dock and use it, or send them to the service centre, luckily my lens still covered by warranty and im going to send them tomorrow :D and hopefully this lens going to be better than ever :D

by the way, this is how it looks if its focused correctly(the lens i wanted to be at all time hahaha) :
Edited (1 of 2) by Akmal Shihab, on Flickr
Edited (1 of 57) by Akmal Shihab, on Flickr

So I wanted to do a beach shoot at baker beach this past saturday and it was soooo cold and foggy you couldnt even see the bridge at all :rofl: :rofl:

Oh well

I'm still happy with what we were able to accomplish :smile:

Need some opinions. Should I sling it or go with the backpack? Stuck between these 2 bags

Amazon product ASIN B002VPE1WK
or

Amazon product ASIN B009HPC2XW
Or is there anything in that price range (or lower) that is good for beginners?

I owned that backpack and grew out of it almost immediately.

The problem I always had was the bags I was buying were really only made to hold the gear. They weren't made to access the gear "in the field".

This is the bag i currently use:
Amazon product ASIN B00FJVE4V6
It has a zipper for easy access to the gear on the top of the bag so you dont even need to take it off to switch lenes, add flash, etc.

Obviously the area of bag usage is HIGHLY subjective.

This bag happens to work extremely well for my circumstances:

Portrait photographer in the field w/o an assistant.

For weddings or portrait sessions when i have an assistant, they all seem to like this bag too. Its very big and the weight distributes well.

The problem I always had was the bags I was buying were really only made to hold the gear. They weren't made to access the gear "in the field".

It has a zipper for easy access to the gear on the top of the bag so you dont even need to take it off to switch lenes, add flash, etc.

For weddings or portrait sessions when i have an assistant, they all seem to like this bag too. Its very big and the weight distributes well.

Yeah. I noticed you have to take ALL of that into consideration. Going to Busch Gardens this weekend so I wanted something that would work for that as well as work as a good beginner bag. Actually saw one of the photographers using that same bag you use at a wedding I was at

Yeah. I noticed you have to take ALL of that into consideration. Going to Busch Gardens this weekend so I wanted something that would work for that as well as work as a good beginner bag. Actually saw one of the photographers using that same bag you use at a wedding I was at

Yeah i used that backpack you posted at ONE wedding and got rid of it.

My bag needs to be more than just a storage space. It needs to grant me quick access to my gear for quick lens switching.

Back
Top Bottom