The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I never found shooting raw to be an insufficient way to shoot.

I picked my settings, i should pick my edit as well.

If i shot sports or shot directly for publication or something like that, I would shoot jpeg.

other than that, I dont want my camera to edit the photo for me. Just like I dont want my camera to pick my settings for me.

I've never taken a photography class or anything, but i always thought shooting in the raw format was like step 1 assuming you'll apply any editing to your images.

I couldnt imagine shooting a wedding in jpeg :x i'd be scared to death of all the contrast the camera would apply :x :x

Co-sign. I will always shoot RAW unless it's any type of action and I need to burst.

I guess I used the wrong word. Shooting RAW is like the un-artistic way of shooting photography (I don't even think that is the right word). I know as far as workflow, it's the best way to do it but I am more or less debating the art form of photography. I post photos on a skate forum as well as here and I get no friggin love from those guys. They are all just naturalists and think my stuff is overly done. I follow a street photographer on IG and all his shots whether from his Leica or film are straight from the camera. He feels any edits just gives you a false impression of what actually was displayed in the streets.

Just because you're shooting RAW doesn't mean you're any less "natural." You can make your RAW photos look natural. The benefit of shooting RAW is that the information is there if you need it.

I hate those purists that shoot straight from camera saying that any other way is inauthentic because that is a load of crap. If you're anybody, you edit. Film shooters edit. I'm not necessarily saying that it has to be extreme, but a little bit of exposure, contrast, highlights, blacks, etc., will be modified. I don't know of any professional photographer that does not edit their photos at all. There are thousands of people that shoot film and still edit their film photos in Lightroom.

Don't pay any attention to those people on the skate forums that show you no love. They're just snobs that don't know the essence of true photography. There isn't just one way to do something. If I season my steak with salt and pepper, does that mean it's not an authentic steak? :lol:

What's that street photographer's Instagram btw?

What are you guys charging for pictures?

I feel like I haven't been charging a whole lot. Im thinking of starting at a base rate of $175.......

I usually do 90minute sessions, provide15 photoshop pictures, and provide them with all the raw photos ( I include a flash drive) for a grand total of $100-$175........ 

Depends on what kind of shoot. I recently did a shoot for professional/corporate headshots with color correction/crop and that consisted of 3-4 hours of shooting [because they were attending a conference and I was brought people as they were free] plus editing time = $1800

What are you guys charging for pictures?
I feel like I haven't been charging a whole lot. Im thinking of starting at a base rate of $175.......
I usually do 90minute sessions, provide15 photoshop pictures, and provide them with all the raw photos ( I include a flash drive) for a grand total of $100-$175........ 

Charge what you believe your imagery is worth. If the person agrees you are worth that much and can comfortably afford you, they will hire you. If you're just starting out, and still trying to figure out lighting and exposure, you should lean more on the $100 side of $100-$175 for a little portrait session

I wont front with you, the images you posted of that graduate were 10 times stronger than this one. But indoor lighting can be really tough to get right and learning how to get great light in any situation is what will allow you to charge more.

The other images you've posted were using glass like the 85mm 1.8 and the 35mm 1.8... why did you shoot this with an 18-55?

I would never include my RAW files in a delivery to a "normal" person.... They only receive final edits in .jpeg format

If someone wants to buy my RAW files they're going to have to purchase the exclusive rights to that one image.

Co-sign. I will always shoot RAW unless it's any type of action and I need to burst.
Just because you're shooting RAW doesn't mean you're any less "natural." You can make your RAW photos look natural. The benefit of shooting RAW is that the information is there if you need it.

I hate those purists that shoot straight from camera saying that any other way is inauthentic because that is a load of crap. If you're anybody, you edit. Film shooters edit. I'm not necessarily saying that it has to be extreme, but a little bit of exposure, contrast, highlights, blacks, etc., will be modified. I don't know of any professional photographer that does not edit their photos at all. There are thousands of people that shoot film and still edit their film photos in Lightroom.

Don't pay any attention to those people on the skate forums that show you no love. They're just snobs that don't know the essence of true photography. There isn't just one way to do something. If I season my steak with salt and pepper, does that mean it's not an authentic steak? :lol:

Here is dude's IG. Man....don't tell him I referred you to his account. I love his work and I don't follow a lot of street photographers but because he's local, he gets shots that I love. But man, he is an opinionated photographer. Bashed on Flask Mob, dangling feet photographers, steel wool photographers, etc all the time but not so much anymore. To give him credit, he told me he's been shooting photos his whole life before this digital era took over. Some NTer on here knows of him of him too. Dude is dope and treats IG as not a big deal. He posts, deletes, posts again, deletes again.....and just repeats all the time.

https://www.instagram.com/prspc.tive/

Last edited:

Here is dude's IG. Man....don't tell him I referred you to his account. I love his work and I don't follow a lot of street photographers but because he's local, he gets shots that I love. But man, he is an opinionated photographer. Bashed on Flask Mob, dangling feet photographers, steel wool photographers, etc all the time but not so much anymore. To give him credit, he told me he's been shooting photos his whole life before this digital era took over. Some NTer on here knows of him of him too. Dude is dope and treats IG as not a big deal. He posts, deletes, posts again, deletes again.....and just repeats all the time.

I dont personally see the appeal in most street photography

especially his

that is, of course, my opinion.

I dont personally see the appeal in most street photography

especially his

that is, of course, my opinion.

Haha. He has better stuff though. He just keeps deleting it. Street photography isn't necessarily my thing as well but boy do I appreciate the photos when done right. For the life of me, I just can't take stuff like that. There is so much to that style that has little to do with camera. You have to talk to the person you are shooting, be in the mix of just what's out there and hopefully just nail something at the right moment. That guy shoots Leica film and digital and for him to get what he gets at times is just awesome. I can shoot on burst mode and not even get anything close to what he gets.

Tavis Jensen is another SF guy that has a lot of shine. He recently had a photo walk for Apple since they redid the store here in SF. It filled up fast and I couldn't even get in. He's both digital and film as well. I met him once and he's a super cool guy.

https://www.instagram.com/travisjensen/?hl=en

So, basically, he does it for the likes :lol:.

But nah, I like his work. It's pretty good. Just a shame he's another one of those snob photographers.

I absolutely love street photography btw. I'd rather be walking around in the streets taking photos than in a studio taking portraits.

Last edited:
zooms aren't natural famb

35mm or bust

even if you lock your 24-70 at 35mm

not da same as da primes b

primes is da hemi + da musket

I agree that I'd only do street with primes but that's because of weight and size.

You got 3 primary focal lengths for street photography at the 24-70: 24, 28, and 35. 50 is nice too in the street sometimes.

zooms aren't natural famb

35mm or bust

even if you lock your 24-70 at 35mm

not da same as da primes b

primes is da hemi + da musket

I agree that I'd only do street with primes but that's because of weight and size.

You got 3 primary focal lengths for street photography at the 24-70: 24, 28, and 35. 50 is nice too in the street sometimes.

I was just being silly bruh.

I like GOOD street photography.

Its very rare though. Just happens to not me my cup of tea.

The graduation photo shoot was shot with a Nikon D3300, D3200, 35mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8 and those photos required very little post-processing. One the other hand, for this baby shower I decided to use the 18-50mm because of how small/tight the location was. Therefore, I felt limited in space. Plus, I did this last job for free as favor since the mom to be is my master/mentor teacher..... I really do believe what I  bring to the table and the amount of time spent of post-processing should place me at a base rate of $175......

The graduation photo shoot was shot with a Nikon D3300, D3200, 35mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8 and those photos required very little post-processing. One the other hand, for this baby shower I decided to use the 18-50mm because of how small/tight the location was. Therefore, I felt limited in space. Plus, I did this last job for free as favor since the mom to be is my master/mentor teacher..... I really do believe what I  bring to the table and the amount of time spent of post-processing should place me at a base rate of $175......

Ah, all makes sense!! Don't think im trying to devalue your time.. especially in post processing.

That being said, the graduation and the maternity shoots look like they were taken by 2 different photographers.

The light was pretty awesome on the graduation and just really bleh in the maternity photo... like it really looks like your camera was just in auto mode and the on camera flash hit her. How did you set your flash up? How did you come to the conclusion to shoot at 34.0 mm ƒ/4.5 1/125 ISO 400?

Looking at it in Flikr appears to lack critical focus at f/4.5... are you using single point auto focus for your portraiture?

My portrait sessions start at $160, but i started at free, 20, 50, 60, 100, now 160. When its a family shoot and its kids involved its usually $200.

Ah, all makes sense!! Don't think im trying to devalue your time.. especially in post processing.

That being said, the graduation and the maternity shoots look like they were taken by 2 different photographers.

The light was pretty awesome on the graduation and just really bleh in the maternity photo... like it really looks like your camera was just in auto mode and the on camera flash hit her. How did you set your flash up? How did you come to the conclusion to shoot at 34.0 mm ƒ/4.5 1/125 ISO 400?

Looking at it in Flikr appears to lack critical focus at f/4.5... are you using single point auto focus for your portraiture?

My portrait sessions start at $160, but i started at free, 20, 50, 60, 100, now 160. When its a family shoot and its kids involved its usually $200.

Ive never shot more then 1 person at a time so i had a question. I focus on the eyes for a portait, but how does thst work when theres more then one person?

Ive never shot more then 1 person at a time so i had a question. I focus on the eyes for a portait, but how does thst work when theres more then one person?

Try to line them up in a way where their eyes are on the same plane.

You're also going to need to stop down quite a bit depending on the arrangement and what not.

When possible, you shoot at the faces at the same plane if you want super shallow depth of field.

If they cant get on the same plane or if you dont want shallow depth of field then you stop up the aperture higher or shoot at a wider focal length.

Shot at 200 f/4

shot at 70mm f/4.5

Extremely blurry backgrounds are nice but I think bokeh can easily get to a shooter's head.

A good blurry background loses its touch with the eyes arent the critical focus.

Back
Top Bottom