The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Seeing as you're the only non sponsored by sigma person i've come across holding it down for them, yes.

Every pro wedding photographer i've worked with manages to work in their disappointment with sigma.

And let me say again, for that type of money, their art lenses better be good :rofl:

Guess I'm not hip then.

Though, if I was a pro, I wouldn't be using SIgma. I was and still am recommending Sigma on the basis of a regular consumer.

i hear their 24-105 f/4 is really good too

i'll say this, focusing wide open with a fast lens on a full frame camera, isn't always easy on a camera's AF...

as buying used lenses, obviously you want to bring/have your camera with you, test both the af, manual focus, & images, listening for any weird sounds, look through the lens (both the front element & rear element, good thing you brought your camera right!), i also like to ask why the seller is selling or what their experience was with the lens
every lens maker has copy variation, granted some more than others but if you think about it, that sigma dock is kinda genius, if it works that is...it maybe allows sigma to both maybe get a little leeway in manufacturing & looking at it from the other way saves the consumer having to send in lenses.

from this past weekend

But i bet its easier to AF using other lens than the sigma lol

Thanks man for the tips!
Dude was saying that he want to change to 24mm cause he needed more wider lens, make sense..
By the way, what do you mean "test both af"?

About those sigma usb dock, i dont think i have a chance with that because i already send the lens to the CS and yet still the same :frown:

Doesn't the 6D have mediocre focusing anyway? I would have suggested trying the lens on a friend's camera or something. But if the lens is already sold I guess it doesn't matter lol.

Last edited:
Doesn't the 6D have mediocre focusing anyway? I would have suggested trying the lens on a friend's camera or something. But if the lens is already sold I guess it doesn't matter lol.
Nah i believe its pure lens issue because when i use 50mm stm, i always gets a perfect placed focus because i always shoot on one shot and high shutter speed, going to meet the guy who are going to sell the 35mm this weekend, hopefully the lens will be perfect heheheh

funny because the 50mm stm is only $100 :rofl:

i recently gave mine to a friend who copped a 70d
So bro, do you think buying a 35mm L mark 1 will be a great move? Hahahaha :D

depends on what you're shooting.

That lens would be great for me to have but it wouldn't do anything worth the $1,000 price tag my 24-70 2.8 wont do when i adjust it to 35mm.

It would go unused in my bag. :frown:

Also, shooting f/ 1.4 doesn't appeal to me at the 35mm focal length.

all personal preference though.

That lens would be great for me to have but it wouldn't do anything worth the $1,000 price tag my 24-70 2.8 wont do when i adjust it to 35mm.

I shoot mainly some portraits, street photography

Will it suit me? Or 24-70 mark 1 will be a better one?

I shoot mainly some portraits, street photography

Will it suit me? Or 24-70 mark 1 will be a better one?

the 24-70 mark 2 is far superior to the mark 1.

35mm isn't a good focal length for portraits in my opinion. But its a phenomenal focal length for street photography.

Using the 24-70 and locking it at 35mm during street photography would suit you well IMO.

Using it at 50-70mm for portraits will also yield good results... not really my favorite focal length for portraits either to be honest.

For portraits, if you want to shoot primes, i recommend canon's 85mm 1.8 USM. Great cheap portrait lens.

If you don't care to shoot a prime, for portraits, i recommend the canon 70-200 2.8L IS II and lock it at what ever focal length you want to use.

One thing about zooms is its easy to stay planted and rotate the zoom ring in and out... nah... pick your focal length when you visualize the shot and move your legs to get the frame perfect unless you cant.

So I own both the 35L1 and 24-70 2.8 II. The 24-70 was a recent pick up, so the 35L1 was one of the main lenses that I used for awhile. While there is crossover, I do feel that there's value in owning the 35L1 even with a zoom, mainly because of the ability to shoot wider than 2.8 and also because I feel that Canon's primes tend to provide a different look and feel that can't be replicated. I would mainly go as wide as 1.8 or 2.0, and having that ability is nice in certain situations. If I could only have one though, I'd probably go with the 24-70. If you can get the version 2 of that lens, go for it. After spending a long weekend with it, it's awesome.

As far as what to look for in buying a used lens, I think someone else covered that and I don't have much to add. The focus should be quick and snappy; if you find that it hunts too much or if there's any type of hesitation, then don't pick it up. My 35L1 didn't require any type of adjustments and was good right out of the box. I purchased mine used from B&H. I didn't pay attention to the serial number either; whatever model I have, it performs great and gave me a real appreciation for primes lenses.

My prime lens line up is the 35L1, 50L, 100L and 135L and I'd like to add the 85L. Even with zooms that cover those focal lengths, I wouldn't get rid of any of those lenses. I could probably do everything I need to do with the 24-70 and 70-200, but the primes are nice to have and like I had mentioned, the "look" you can achieve from those lenses is :pimp:

To be honest, once I got the 70-200, my 135L went untouched for awhile. I had to force myself to use it during certain sessions.

That may end up happening with the 35L now that I have the 24-70, but I love that lens too much to neglect it.

Building a kit to shoot with is difficult considering the prices of all of these lenses and is dependent on the type of work that you do. The zooms are so versatile and provide such high quality images that it's difficult to recommend anything else.

the 24-70 mark 2 is far superior to the mark 1.

35mm isn't a good focal length for portraits in my opinion. But its a phenomenal focal length for street photography.

Using the 24-70 and locking it at 35mm during street photography would suit you well IMO.

Using it at 50-70mm for portraits will also yield good results... not really my favorite focal length for portraits either to be honest.

For portraits, if you want to shoot primes, i recommend canon's 85mm 1.8 USM. Great cheap portrait lens.

If you don't care to shoot a prime, for portraits, i recommend the canon 70-200 2.8L IS II and lock it at what ever focal length you want to use.

One thing about zooms is its easy to stay planted and rotate the zoom ring in and out... nah... pick your focal length when you visualize the shot and move your legs to get the frame perfect unless you cant.

So I own both the 35L1 and 24-70 2.8 II. The 24-70 was a recent pick up, so the 35L1 was one of the main lenses that I used for awhile. While there is crossover, I do feel that there's value in owning the 35L1 even with a zoom, mainly because of the ability to shoot wider than 2.8 and also because I feel that Canon's primes tend to provide a different look and feel that can't be replicated. I would mainly go as wide as 1.8 or 2.0, and having that ability is nice in certain situations. If I could only have one though, I'd probably go with the 24-70. If you can get the version 2 of that lens, go for it. After spending a long weekend with it, it's awesome.

As far as what to look for in buying a used lens, I think someone else covered that and I don't have much to add. The focus should be quick and snappy; if you find that it hunts too much or if there's any type of hesitation, then don't pick it up. My 35L1 didn't require any type of adjustments and was good right out of the box. I purchased mine used from B&H. I didn't pay attention to the serial number either; whatever model I have, it performs great and gave me a real appreciation for primes lenses.

My prime lens line up is the 35L1, 50L, 100L and 135L and I'd like to add the 85L. Even with zooms that cover those focal lengths, I wouldn't get rid of any of those lenses. I could probably do everything I need to do with the 24-70 and 70-200, but the primes are nice to have and like I had mentioned, the "look" you can achieve from those lenses is :pimp:

Thank you guys for the word, but for now i think i will stick with buying the 35mm mark 1 and start saving more for the 24-70 mark 2 when im getting more serious with overall photography and maybe can get a bit of cash doing it to save for a glass heheh, because right now im still a student and its kinda hard to achieve one L lenses hahahaha

But still my target right now is to own 35mm the 24-70 ad them 70-200

But for now, i think i will be good with 35 + 50 stm hahaha
And maybe just maybe i will try and buy the 85mm 1.8

And couple of pic using 50mm stm + 6d

Last edited:

How would you compare the 35mm to the 50mm to even the 135mm? I have the 50mm and I would say that lens isn't the greatest in focusing at times. Mostly this has to do with low light situations but I would say if using it with AF, it will miss more than it makes. I've never tried the 35mm personally but I have tried the 135mm and thought that was a great lens as far as the focusing is concerned. My 24mm focuses fine but seeing how it is a wide angle, that is a given. I am seriously contemplating dumping my 24mm L since I never use it now. It is so rare for me to use the f/1.4 aperture anyways just cause if I am shooting wide, I am shooting long exposures. I'd feel like I'd regret selling it though.

And just got word back on my broken Tamron. It's costing me $425 to fix essentially the lends hood and to grease up the focusing again. That literally is a cheap lens I am paying for to get this done. Definitely look into insurance for people that drop stuff all the time.

How would you compare the 35mm to the 50mm to even the 135mm? I have the 50mm and I would say that lens isn't the greatest in focusing at times. Mostly this has to do with low light situations but I would say if using it with AF, it will miss more than it makes. I've never tried the 35mm personally but I have tried the 135mm and thought that was a great lens as far as the focusing is concerned. My 24mm focuses fine but seeing how it is a wide angle, that is a given. I am seriously contemplating dumping my 24mm L since I never use it now. It is so rare for me to use the f/1.4 aperture anyways just cause if I am shooting wide, I am shooting long exposures. I'd feel like I'd regret selling it though.

And just got word back on my broken Tamron. It's costing me $425 to fix essentially the lends hood and to grease up the focusing again. That literally is a cheap lens I am paying for to get this done. Definitely look into insurance for people that drop stuff all the time.

I would agree with your statement that the 50L isn't the greatest in focusing at times. When I do use it, I usually just make an extra effort to make sure I've nailed focus or I'll take the shot a couple extra times just in case the focus wasn't sharp the first time around. Overall though, I wouldn't say that it misses more than it makes, at least in the copy that I have.

With the 135L, I've never had a problem with its focus; it's been quick and snappy during my usage.

With the 35L, I would say that this lens focuses the best of the three. It has never missed focus for me and has always been quick during events, even in low light. I've read about people using the 35L exclusively to cover a wedding and I couldn't really understand how, but now I do. Having used this lens so much is what makes me more than comfortable paying the price for the 35L2. I've read that they improved the few problems with it and it's also even sharper. After using the 35L though, you can definitely tell that the 50L just isn't on par focusing wise.

Last edited:
^^^^^I think the 50mm L is due for an upgrade as well since it released back in 2007. There are even times where I would have to focus manually on a tripod and use live view to get my subject matter tack sharp. I used the 50mm L on a Canon 5D Mark 2 and it is literally the worst pairing ever. The Mark 3 helps but I would think the 7D Mark 2 focusing system would be even better. It's sort of a gift and a curse lens though. On one hand, it's one of the only lenses with a F/1.2 aperture but honestly it is so rare to nail shots that wide open but it's good to know you have it there.

Currently saving to purchase a 5d mark 3 and then retire my 5d mark 2 into a backup camera.

Switched to canon back in November

Hopefully I'll be able to afford one by fall.

Current Arsenal:
5d mk 2
50mm STM
85mm USM
100mm USM macro
24-70 2.8L II
70-200 2.8L II
Speedlight + transmitter + modifiers

Still want:
5d mk 3
8-15mm 4L fisheye
85mm 1.2L II
135 2L
more speedlights

Its so nice that the wish list is finally shorter than the own list :pimp:

Last edited:
I went to the Air Force Academy graduation last week, where President Obama gave a speech. It was a really fun time. The thunderbirds performed their show after the ceremony. One of the thunderbird jets crashed after the show while returning to the AF base they were stationed at. Luckily, the pilot ejected safely and there were no injuries on the ground.

yo, i have to say these images really convinced me to check out an air show! thunderbirds were scheduled to perform but canceled, still a pretty awesome event, i had no idea it would be as packed as it was but it was pretty impressive all around and it was free to the public!...i don't know that i would have went were it not for seeing how good your shots were...i took an insane amount of shots; manual focus at an effective focal length of 750mm is not easy #captainobvious but my hit rate is looking decent so far...

Hey man, I'm really happy that those pictures I took got you out and to an airshow! It's too bad the thunderbirds cancelled, but it was probably due to the fact that they crashed a plane last week. If the jets are out next year or near you again this year, you should make an effort to go again :pimp:.

New toys. Nikon 85mm 1.4 and 20mm 1.8. Never realized how wide 20mm was compared to 24mm lol. I'm a fan of the focal length.

I don't think I've bought a lens for my main system in a couple of years. Was trying to build a mirrorless system but got rid of it. It didn't feel robust enough for me. For walking around and vacations, it was just more convenient to use my phone.

New toys. Nikon 85mm 1.4 and 20mm 1.8. Never realized how wide 20mm was compared to 24mm lol. I'm a fan of the focal length.

I don't think I've bought a lens for my main system in a couple of years. Was trying to build a mirrorless system but got rid of it. It didn't feel robust enough for me. For walking around and vacations, it was just more convenient to use my phone.

That 85 1.4g is absolutely magical for portraits :pimp:

That 85mm 1.4g lawd jesus!!!

I've thought about doing the 35mm/85mm combo and sell my 24-70 lens but man that would be tough to let that go.

When I have 2 cameras I'll be much more prone to shooting primes.

At wedding ceremonies, I just dont see myself saying "oh hold that, I need to change my 35mm 1.4 L II to my 85 1.2 L II" :lol:

For portraits, I see a 135mm f/2 in my future :evil:

Back
Top Bottom