The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just a question regarding fitment. I was at the thrift store the other day and I saw a bunch of old cameras and such. What I'm wondering, are flashes and lenses interchangeable? Can I use an old canon flash or lens from a film camera, and put it on my dslr? Also, if so, how much different would they be? Is that technology considered greatly inferior?

Originally Posted by tony23retro

Originally Posted by burstmode7d

Sick capture! What is he gapping though? How'd he get so much air?
I would've kept it purely black and white, no colored tones.

Oh yeah, the man 3rd from the left is sooo outta place.
laugh.gif
thanks man, it was by city hall here in NYC and it was just a walk by shot honestly. he was on the ledge on the left and he kept catching mad air...didn't land a single one though 
laugh.gif

here's a few:

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

Just a question regarding fitment. I was at the thrift store the other day and I saw a bunch of old cameras and such. What I'm wondering, are flashes and lenses interchangeable? Can I use an old canon flash or lens from a film camera, and put it on my dslr? Also, if so, how much different would they be? Is that technology considered greatly inferior?

Yea man you might not wanna use the flashes I read up on that because I was thinking of doing the same thing but they say alot of the older flashes have more voltage output then the newer dslr's can tolerate so theres a chance it could fry your camera

Originally Posted by JRHodges11

Originally Posted by omgitswes

So I've had my D3100 since Christmas and have yet to really get involved with it. All I do is Point & Shoot.
I don't really understand anything else.
Can anyone guide me to a tutorial where I can fully utilize this camera?

To speak for myself since im pretty new to it all and still learning a lot daily. First just get familiar with your camera its settings and capabilities figure out what it can do and cannot. Get used to certain terms so that when you hear them you know exactly what people are talking about. Get to know your lens its max and minimum aperture. Join sites like this and flickr and post some pics for critique so you can know what your doing wrong. Try something new rather then just pointing and shooting try and have a story behind it or a vision try and change the way you see it. Thats just my opinion and how I look at it
ohwell.gif

http://froknowsphoto.com/...ted/d3100-nikon-related/

I forgot how awesome the photos in this thread are... must visit more often.

Anyone got a Nikon D7000? Thinking about upgrading from my D40... Still a bit pricey though...

dope portraits ksteezy
smokin.gif
1 light? softbox?

had to go out of town for work, hotel living x 1 week =
ohwell.gif

5858277395_561ed73087_b.jpg

5843786526_3c6668d82e_b.jpg

5855402424_18b976b5c6_b.jpg

5864955051_efe728aa66_b.jpg

5861108853_def0ab5998_b.jpg

5857768989_2a46a9a9a2_b.jpg

^forgot my gym shoes, picked up for $70 lol

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Originally Posted by bns1201
I've thought about this a lot, seeing as to how everyone is a photographer as a hobbyist these days. Even apps like Instagram and Hipstamatic have contributed to this phenomenon.
I think the 5 points that make a good photographer are:

1) Proficient technical understanding of the camera (knowing how lighting, aperture, etc. work), composition, AND developing and/or post-processing programs.

2) Creativity in formulating a shot - whether directing models, capturing the right moments at the right times, a unique perspective on everyday scenery.

3) Rapidity.  Second-nature, instinctual photography that comes from innate talent and experience.

4) Consistency.  Developing an individual style that refines a particular look or emotion in one's photography.

5) Content.  This is perhaps most important of all these days.  Everyone has access to a camera, if they put their time into it, they can gain the rapidity, the consistency, and experience.  What sets images apart is the content of the photography.  That's derived from access to personalities, locations, rare moments, and the ingenuity to piece them all together. And do it over and over again.  Everyone can have a great shot, but can you do it 100 times a day for the next 5 decades?
This pretty much nailed it.
I don't claim to be a great photographer myself. I made the same newbie mistakes when I started out. I look back at some of my early shots (like my first 2,000 or so, at least) and wonder what I was thinking.

The fact of the matter is, nobody is going to be an expert as soon as they pick up a camera and have access to photo editing software.  I've been shooting for four years now and still think I'm a newbie.

There's no easy way to just "be" a photographer. I see so many people taking shortcuts in this thread by adding borders, turning color to b/w, adding crazy filters and actions from Photoshop, tilting their camera to angles that don't capture their subject matter, and using all kinds of random lighting to create some pretty subpar photographs.

Fact of the matter is, you don't need crazy technology. The best camera you have is the camera that you have. I've taken some of my favorite shots with my Blackberry! 

The number one piece of advice I have for starting photographers is to lose the ego and be open to suggestions. I've been encouraged by the open discussion in this thread and hope that it continues. There are some great photographers on NT and I think it's great that some of you are taking it very seriously.

Anyone can claim themselves as a "photographer". The greater question is "what makes a photograph effective?"

---my answer: lighting, lighting, & lighting!!

Originally Posted by JRHodges11

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

Yea man you might not wanna use the flashes I read up on that because I was thinking of doing the same thing but they say alot of the older flashes have more voltage output then the newer dslr's can tolerate so theres a chance it could fry your camera

So nay on the flashes? How would I know if they're ever compatible? As for lenses, how about those?

got this a few days ago and i'm loving it so far 
pimp.gif
 just an incredible camera and my 24-70 feels like a completely diff lens on it than on my t2i 
eek.gif

5868988264_1926befd60_b.jpg

5868428569_6e82979241_b.jpg

gona be broke for a while now though 
ohwell.gif

Adobo - no softbox, just window light
smile.gif

It's amazing how powerful natural light is, once you can manage with just natural light, you've learned the hardest part if photography.

Originally Posted by tony23retro

Originally Posted by young718chris

Originally Posted by ReMarqable23
Very powerful photo, in my opinion
Powerful? In what way?

I wouldn't consider "powerful" the proper word to describe the image.

Just wondering.
Maybe it's just my perception but I feel as if this photo can tell a story. It's so lucid yet abstruse in the same instance. Even the places those feet will take that child in their lifetime is a story in itself. But again, maybe it's just my twisted perception. Powerful, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom