The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Hello Photographers of NT,

I am a noob and i am in the market for a camera, a good one. One that shoots photos as well as videos in high quality.

if anyone could enlighten me on the ins and outs of photography( cameras,lenses,software? ) i'd be forever grateful.

if it matters,i plan on buying it from QVC.com my budget is around $1000.

TIA

I am a noob and i am in the market for a camera, a good one. One that shoots photos as well as videos in high quality.

if anyone could enlighten me on the ins and outs of photography( cameras,lenses,software? ) i'd be forever grateful.

TIA

I just got into photography as well. From my research it seems very few people get the right camera on their first purchase. Once they learn on the first they are ready to upgrade. $1000 is alot for the first camera., imo. They more features it has the more you have to learn from jump. This can be overwhelming for some and cause them to stop. I have a Nikon D5100. I like the fact that it tells has a info button that tells you every feature does. Im not close to anyone that knows cameras so I wanted something that would allow me to learn. I have a feeling I will switching over to Canon once I learn Composition, Shutter Speed, Aperture and ect. After playing with models of both brands Nikon seemed to do a better job at helping me learn. Canon seemed more for those that are more seasoned. Alot of peps have told me not to worry about software just yet. Learn the camera first. They say it will force me to take better pictures, instead of editing. THey say theres a difference in a great photographer and a great editor. Lenses advice has been overwhelmingly for a 50mm. I still aint got it but will get it soon. Now that I have been taking pics with my 18-55 and 55-200, I need that 50mm. I wish I would have gotten just the body and the 50mm, I could have saved some money.

Hope That helps.

Last edited:

TIA

[COLOR=#red]Save up and get a 5D Mkiii. You'll regret not doing so. Also buy body only and then pick up a 50mm Prime lens.[/COLOR]

bruhs, look into an eye-fi pro x2 memory card, took me a whole day to get the direct mode to work, but once i did.....i got a taste of the awesomeness that tethering pictures taken on your dslr going straight to your iphone so that you can share on social media like IG can be.....im in the plans of setting up a photobooth at weddings and this is how i plan on standing out from the herd, besides actual prints and an online gallery, im gonna set up an IG account where guests can view their pictures while at the wedding and share in real time!....super excited!

quit the trollin fam....

[COLOR=#red]First off don't tell me what to do, especially if you aren't a mod. Secondly if I'm trolling then there's a lot of trolling going on in here. Dude clearly stated his parameters and one of the first few responses was to save up and get a 7D.[/COLOR]

If I were a beginner I'd have no clue how to take full advantage of a 5D3. Sure it would be nice not having to upgrade body in the future but I still don't see the point. I mean if you got it then splurge, but I guarantee you (as a beginner) won't be able to tell the difference between the 5D3, and ksteezys suggested setup.

Regardless of what setup you chose, I think it's a well known fact that the glass is what makes most of the difference when it comes down to it. (correct me if I'm wrong!)

If I were you (@SoVerSoTowel) I'd get a cheaper body (even used), and use the remaining of your money on a nice piece of glass. The 50 f/1.4 is a great start!

I'm still messing with a T2i + Kit lens *Kanye Shrug*

TIA

I don't see anything wrong with getting an entry level camera to learn. I have Nikon. My advice to someone going Nikon would to skip a kit and get a prime. To add to that, I don't know how Canon's lenses are but Nikon has DX lenses for crop sensors and FX for full frame. I would make sure that the glass I invest in are FX lenses. With the crop you will get sharper images because the sweet spot of the lens will cover more area of your frame due to the crop and once you upgrade your body you will be good. I'm not saying break the bank but if you have intentions to go full frame it can be a good move. I bought the D5100 kit, then got a 35mm 1.8 and wish it wasn't DX. My only other DX is the 55-200 but I also own a 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 which are FX.

bruhs, look into an eye-fi pro x2 memory card, took me a whole day to get the direct mode to work, but once i did.....i got a taste of the awesomeness that tethering pictures taken on your dslr going straight to your iphone so that you can share on social media like IG can be.....im in the plans of setting up a photobooth at weddings and this is how i plan on standing out from the herd, besides actual prints and an online gallery, im gonna set up an IG account where guests can view their pictures while at the wedding and share in real time!....super excited!

I've been on the fence about getting one for the longest but I've been hesitant because I've heard they aren't really reliable. Interested to here how it works for you in a professional context.

Canon seemed more for those that are more seasoned. Alot of peps have told me not to worry about software just yet. Learn the camera first. They say it will force me to take better pictures, instead of editing. THey say theres a difference in a great photographer and a great editor.

I disagree. From my standpoint editing is a must as well as organization. I also don't think Canon shooters are more seasoned it's just a preference.

Use mine with an ipad mini at shoots. I killed the wifi option because it seems to be slower compared to direct mode. Setting it up is a pain. My last shoot it wouldn't connect to the ipad so I had to sync it to my phone.

I've been on the fence about getting one for the longest but I've been hesitant because I've heard they aren't really reliable. Interested to here how it works for you in a professional context.

I have learned that it is tricky to understand at first but once you figure it out there are no issues. I messed up by going back and forth between my ipad and iphone. If you set it up for direct mode it works alot better

And to people's saying skip the kit and go straight for a prime...personally I'd have been really frustrated as a beginner with only a prime. No reason not to get the kit as it usually comes at such a discount and its great for beginners getting used to a new system.

I disagree. From my standpoint editing is a must as well as organization. I also don't think Canon shooters are more seasoned it's just a preference.

Editing is a must. Just for things like cropping is the biggest reasons why you need to edit your photos. I just did this photo (not the best edit) and you can see the significance from just the before and after.

Before:
me0y.jpg

After:
jordan-11.jpg

I'd like to thank each of you for your responses. I greatly appreciate y'all taking the time to respond. I'll be taking each one in consideration,reps.....reps everywhere.

Alright fam... I was considering buying a laptop first, then a lens.

But, I will now be buying a lens first.

It's time to get the most out of this FF Mark 2 and put some L on it.

Going for the 35L... anybody have it on here? How's it doing for you?

To have a zoom that's faster than 2.8 must be awesome....sounds like it'll be expensive as hell!

The 35L is a gem!....you won't regret it.

To have a zoom that's faster than 2.8 must be awesome....sounds like it'll be expensive as hell!

The 35L is a gem!....you won't regret it.

Street price is $799!!! It's only for crop sensor cameras which means I'd have to get rid of it if I ever go FF, but this is kind of a dream lens for a crop sensor shooter, no? Early reviews seem to indicate it's tack sharp, even wide open, good build quality, etc.

Back
Top Bottom