The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^Yeah, I would recommend the 50 as well; it was my first lens too.

Affordable, yet takes great photos. Perfect for low light.

Nikon also has a 35mm for just under 200.

Wish Canon made a 35 for that low :smh:

Last edited:
Just peeped the b&h website to see what nikon lens they have to offer. My damn heart skipped a beat looking at these prices on certain lenses haha.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the 50mm f/1.8 lenses may be? Don't they have the same specs?

Last edited:
Just peeped the b&h website to see what nikon lens they have to offer. My damn heart skipped a beat looking at these prices on certain lenses haha.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the 50mm f/1.8 lenses? Aren't they basically the same specs?

You can use both. The G lens is the new one, it has a focus motor in it because your camera doesnt have a focus motor. The 50mm 1/8 is a better choice over the 35mm if you plan to go full frame because the 50mm is a full frame lens and the 35mm isnt.

Using the stock lens that came with the nikon d3100 I believe it's the AF-S 18-55mm. I have yet to upgrade. Probably willing to upgrade once I can take better pictures with this one :/

Practice makes perfect my dude. I had my D3100 for a year before I upgraded to a 6D. Just go out there and shoot whenever you can, learn composition and sometimes when you're just walking down the street and see something cool or imagine something in your head then take the shot and work on it at home. The possibilities are endless with post processing. As for software give lightroom a shot, since you have a mac I'm assuming you have iphoto which has some editing capability in there also.

Will peruse through the thread. Other than what is in the first post anything a newb needs to learn.

This will be strictly a hobby, with a son on the way in September want to take solid pics.

Probably start with a T3i.

Any help is appreciated.

Will peruse through the thread. Other than what is in the first post anything a newb needs to learn.

This will be strictly a hobby, with a son on the way in September want to take solid pics.

Probably start with a T3i.

Any help is appreciated.

T3i is a good option. You can get a used body for with accessories for like $400.

Last edited:
What the heck?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...e-seamless-white-background-article-1.1808939

Photographers furious after Amazon patents technique for seamless white background

If you liked it, then you should have put a patent on it.

That’s exactly what Internet giant Amazon did with its claim on something many artists learn in Photography 101: how to shoot an object on a white background.

Amazon is now the proud owner of U.S. Patent No. 8,676,045, titled “Studio Arrangement,” that details exactly how to position lighting, the camera and the subject to create a “near perfect,” seamless white background.

The patent was filed on Nov. 9, 2011 and granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on March 18, CBS reports. Photographers on the web have just started speaking out against the move.

Blogger David Hobby has been a professional photographer since 1988. He says he’s been using a very similar technique since he started his first job as a staff photographer decades ago. He “blows out” the background using a brilliantly lit white screen in order to make the subject look isolated.

"We did every single shot on a blow-away light," Hobby told CNET about his first job. "It gave us a visual style and consistency, and we could shoot wide range of subjects. But even as a kid right out of college in 1988 I didn't think this was new...There is no defending it on any level."
U.S. Patent No. 8,676,045 is called 'Studio Arrangement,' and it explains Amazon’s technique for creating a 'near perfect' seamless backdrop. UNITED STATES PATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE U.S. Patent No. 8,676,045 is called 'Studio Arrangement,' and it explains Amazon’s technique for creating a 'near perfect' seamless backdrop.

Petitions against the USPTO’s decision to grant the patent have been circulating online. WatchDog.net collected nearly 30,000 signatures at press time. The petition called Amazon’s patent an abuse of copyright and a mockery of the patent system.

“And we thought copyright trolls couldn't get more brazen,” the petition writers said.

Even comedian Stephen Colbert has chimed in.

"Amazon now has legal ownership of the idea of displaying a thing,” Colbert said on his show.

But photographer Ken Rockwell cautioned that Amazon hasn’t patented the idea of placing subjects on a white background. Instead, he says they’ve patented a process.

Usually like your images but this one does nothing for me. The fact that you have that pole splitting the images add to my displeasure. However, that's just me ... If u love it it's cool. I often love images that people would not give a second look ...

Click the share link and there should be a code.

If you don't see it, it might be because of the permissions or rights to the picture.

Tell me what's wrong with this photo?

not that it's crooked, i crudely drew in the lines, but the horizon line a the foreground lines aren't parallel so it's always going to feel slightly off because those lines are fighting each other, this isn't necessarily an issue... i hope you don't mind that I drew (and so poorly, I might add) over your image...

bigger question is what is it the main point of interest in this photo? if it's the flowers, maybe you could have gotten in closer, or maybe changed your viewpoint or orientation of the camera (crouched down, moved the camera to the right so you wouldn't have caught that edge, or turn the camera vertical?) or is the scene overall that you were trying to capture? was it just a practice shot? i'm not a professional picture taker, but with any skill, there is the technical aspect (i.e. are my settings appropriate, are things in focus, holding the camera properly) and probably the more deliberate/evaluative process of what one is doing and thinking through that process (it could be argued that this is still pretty technical). so not only should one spend some time thinking about the how to do a thing - work the camera to get the image- but also thinking about what is being done - what will be in the image/what the image should convey; and eventually these things become almost automatic allowing for higher order thinking about what you are doing...

not that it's crooked, i crudely drew in the lines, but the horizon line a the foreground lines aren't parallel so it's always going to feel slightly off because those lines are fighting each other, this isn't necessarily an issue... i hope you don't mind that I drew (and so poorly, I might add) over your image...

bigger question is what is it the main point of interest in this photo? if it's the flowers, maybe you could have gotten in closer, or maybe changed your viewpoint or orientation of the camera (crouched down, moved the camera to the right so you wouldn't have caught that edge, or turn the camera vertical?) or is the scene overall that you were trying to capture? was it just a practice shot? i'm not a professional picture taker, but with any skill, there is the technical aspect (i.e. are my settings appropriate, are things in focus, holding the camera properly) and probably the more deliberate/evaluative process of what one is doing and thinking through that process (it could be argued that this is still pretty technical). so not only should one spend some time thinking about the how to do a thing - work the camera to get the image- but also thinking about what is being done - what will be in the image/what the image should convey; and eventually these things become almost automatic allowing for higher order thinking about what you are doing...

The focus is the flowerbed closest to me, for sure. and I don't mind at all. This is all new to me so any help is appreciated.

I love the feedback man.

Some random shots from the past week or so.

Also, I tried shooting with the kit lens again yesterday after shooting exclusively with a 35 f/1.8 for a few months. It could just be me, but I felt like the kit lens wasn't even close to the prime in terms of image quality. I appreciated being able to zoom again, but I don't think I could go back to using the kit. What have you guys done with your kit lenses and what's a good replacement for it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom