The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

What do you have?

There were some recomendations a couple pages back.

I just got a canon T3i and a 75-300mm lens and an additional macro/fisheye lens. I plan to keep them all with me when I shoot. Mostly concerts, sporting events, and around the city so I was thinking nothing too big. I need a solid bag. Not one that screams HEY I HAVE A CANON SLR. you know?

Last edited:
messing around in lightroom (first time)
a photo from my wedding, the photographer used a nikon d3200.
is the editing process all a matter of preference? i like the richer colors
compared to his edits.

yea its subjective pretty much, to the extent you don't already have a specific influence (like a friend or certain photographer(s)) though there are some things that seem to be more or less liked depending on what stage/where people are at with their photography; i think when people get into it, we tend to gravitate more towards more saturated & contrasty editing because it instantly makes photos pop. the more shooting/editing one does, this tends to change as you start to think about what the intent of the photo is...at least that is what i think from the stuff i been hearing/reading/watching about editing

technically there probably is a standard look but granted that the photo itself is sound and that the editing doesn't overpower/take away from the content, i think it really comes down to personal preference...i could see why some might prefer the warmer toned image (i think generally this is how people edit people), as the skin tones have some glow to it, and i could see some maybe liking the cooler/neutral toned second image...#sidebar an observation made by traditional painters was that the closer something was to you the warmer its tone and farther away things had cooler tones, this can be used to accentuate separation of the subject from the background when editing

^ thanks tokes! I graduated with a fine arts degree and I love to paint, so you using that analogy is spot on.

Anybody in here ever went the Refurbished route when buying Canon L Glass? Any pros/cons? Noticed the savings on refurbed lenses on Canons site etc. Could take the extra bit saved and put it towards another L lens rather than buying brand new. 

"Refurbished" in general just means it's been opened and returned. Refurbishing electronics could be as simple as wiping off the finger prints from the previous owner or as big as installing a motherboard and other circuits. Nonetheless, Canon stands by their product (1 year warranty). I would go with the savings absolutely.

I worked at a Computer service center for 3 years by the way. Worked on all brands of computers, cellphones. tablets, etc.

<iframe src="" width="2048" height="1365" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe> 

I have been searching for a micro 4/3 lens to Nikon body adapter and I can only find the reverse. Does it actually exist?

Flange distance is too different, won't find any adaptors that work that way. It's one of the reasons some people buy mirrorless camera to use with legacy glass

Last edited:
Just gon use reality to crush my dreams lol I was hoping to use my 14-42 micro lens with my Nikon but I'll just buy a another lens

yea its subjective pretty much, to the extent you don't already have a specific influence (like a friend or certain photographer(s)) though there are some things that seem to be more or less liked depending on what stage/where people are at with their photography; i think when people get into it, we tend to gravitate more towards more saturated & contrasty editing because it instantly makes photos pop. the more shooting/editing one does, this tends to change as you start to think about what the intent of the photo is...at least that is what i think from the stuff i been hearing/reading/watching about editing

technically there probably is a standard look but granted that the photo itself is sound and that the editing doesn't overpower/take away from the content, i think it really comes down to personal preference...i could see why some might prefer the warmer toned image (i think generally this is how people edit people), as the skin tones have some glow to it, and i could see some maybe liking the cooler/neutral toned second image...#sidebar an observation made by traditional painters was that the closer something was to you the warmer its tone and farther away things had cooler tones, this can be used to accentuate separation of the subject from the background when editing

This puts quite a bit in perspective for me fam.. When i'm editing photos i do sometimes lean towards more saturation, or enhancing the shadows (if i'm saying that correctly), and a few other enhancements--- in your words some of these mods make the "photo pop" more..

I used to feel like I had to take the same approach to editing all of my shots.. Glad to hear that its not frowned upon to have more than "one style" or "one approach" to editing..Now i just try to edit photos purely based on the needs of the shot taken..

Here is a mid day direct sun on white foamcore technique that I enjoy shooting from time to time. More on my IG in the sig. All pics shot with a D800.

Can't believe I haven't been following you on ig. Just followed you, This one is my favorite, give's her character. Great stuff!!

Last edited:
I used to feel like I had to take the same approach to editing all of my shots.. Glad to hear that its not frowned upon to have more than "one style" or "one approach" to editing..Now i just try to edit photos purely based on the needs of the shot taken..

...about that...well, i get the impression that it definitely matters for people that are aspiring photographers should indeed have a consistent style, it may take some time &/or experimentation to get to a point where a style emerges; but i guess that it would ultimately depend on the type of stuff one shoots...

One from today. Not the best but eh. Been trying to go out and shoot at night here in SF but summers just blow cause the fog is just crazy. No real colors in the sky and I even got my gradient filters too but they are pretty useless right now. Oh well.

hill-street-blues-1.png

...about that...well, i get the impression that it definitely matters for people that are aspiring photographers should indeed have a consistent style, it may take some time &/or experimentation to get to a point where a style emerges; but i guess that it would ultimately depend on the type of stuff one shoots...
When I first started I used to over process my pics. I would basically but a mixed bag of Lightroom filters into every catalog and I look back at it now and I am ashamed. Now I just want the photos to look as natural as possible: not too overly satuarated, not too heavy contrast, etc

When I first started I used to over process my pics. I would basically but a mixed bag of Lightroom filters into every catalog and I look back at it now and I am ashamed. Now I just want the photos to look as natural as possible: not too overly satuarated, not too heavy contrast, etc

To the both of you guys---

I totally get it..i've been actively taking pics as a hobby for about two years but never experimented too hard with editing until last year.. I think I've had a very similar journey---started off making roughly 6-10 tweaks on average for a photo that would enhance it but lessen also take away from its natural look.

Now, I aim to not take it too far out of its natural state. I guess its true "less is more" sometimes. :D

I pretty much stick to the VSCo Film presets. There are a couple that I like but the shoot determines which one I use. The ones I use are pretty similar to each other.

I pretty much stick to the VSCo Film presets. There are a couple that I like but the shoot determines which one I use. The ones I use are pretty similar to each other.

I think as a challenge, people should just edit their photos without using filters. I'd be lying if I said I never use them and I use them more now than ever (talking about maybe using filters 20% of the time though) but I still try and lay off them and just edit photos as is with the typical things. I've noticed in even some look books and even stuff from Van Styles that aren't his model shots get a lot of crap for only using filters.

For example. I know this might not even be a filter thing but editing blacks to where it is super light just grinds my gears sometimes. I mean do it where it makes sense but a lot of cases, it is just done without really any disregards. I saw this on Hypebeast this morning and for a product shot, this photo makes no sense with the edit:

nike-kobe-9-low-em-bright-mango-1.jpg

And this was a blog Van Styles did when he went to Hawaii (no hate). His edits were just odd. He's like muting colors when that is the last thing you want to do with photos from Hawaii.

http://thehundreds.com/hawaiian-re-cap-part-1/

HR1-010.jpg
HR1-007.jpg
HR1-016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom