The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I was a secondary shooter for my boys wedding over the weekend. This is just a few shots that I've edited so far. This was only my second wedding. Any feedback is appreciated. Positive or negative, it doesn't matter. I want to be able to learn from my mistakes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehjpm4s56e487an/AACPuFSHLeG0pNHuz324K9xka

There is a lot of noise on the reception shots, and chromatic aberration on the ceremony shots (purple lighting inside kind of hides that on the reception shots). Some of them aren't too sharp either. You can try to reduce these in LR or PS and see what that does. Otherwise maybe convert to B&W and sharpen.

I really like the cake picture, #18 and #27. #26 and #28 are nice too.

I would do cropping on some of them. For example:
  • I'd make #11 portrait orientation or crop it enough to get rid of the speaker
  • #28 same as #11 (getting rid of the guy standing)
  • #13 & #14 I'd get rid of the creeper on the side.
  • #5 Crop out the feet at the top of the stairs. If you're good enough with the clone tool, try removing the plant leaves as well.
  • With the wedding party walking in, there is a lot of empty space. Would look better with a tighter shot.

The ones with the couple dancing aren't bad outside of what I already mentioned. Would've like to see the full length of the bride's dress with the large dance crowd. When I shoot events with the all the guest on the floor, I like to snap from higher angles.

I'm sure the primary shooter got the better angles of the ceremony (bridesmaids and groomsmen shots). but I'm not a fan of some of the POVs.

Good job on shooting though.

Anybody here have experience with high-pass technique for sharpening in PS? I played with it but can't get that crisp skin quality and edges I see others use

I wouldn't advise it for skin because then the pores will be too enhanced and wouldn't be a good look. I've done the high pass and the point is to use it sparingly until you can see little details pop up in the preview and that should be enough.

No selling.

???

Anybody here have experience with high-pass technique for sharpening in PS? I played with it but can't get that crisp skin quality and edges I see others use

It's my go-to for regular sharpening - although I mostly shoot landscapes so can't comment on people.

Just duplicate the whole layer above the other one (and it needs to be after all your other stuff is finished so it can be flattened) then select the filter and adjust the slider until you just see the edges - too much doesn't look good. Then change the blending mode to soft light and that's it.

If it's too much you can adjust the opacity of that layer and if it was something like a portrait you could use a layer mask to do that selectively - eg leaving the eyes and hair but softening the skin of nose and cheeks.

I use it with a layer mask. I invert the mask (black) and paint with white, only to parts of the image I want to sharpen I usually keep my flow or opacity pretty low. You don't wanna over do it, which can easily be done.

You in the Bay Area right?

Any cool meets you know about?

Cars and coffee SF, cars and croissants in menlo park/santana row are the 2 main ones I go to when I can. SF one happens once a month and the other one happens twice a month. Should be able to google them and get more info.

I've heard about the meets they usually do at Santana Row just never been to one. :lol:

I'll check that one out.

I've heard about the meets they usually do at Santana Row just never been to one. :lol:

I'll check that one out.

Maybe I'll catch out out there sometime, I usually don't go to SR because it's 35min away from me though :lol:

Birthday boy

Nikon D3200

Dating my co-worker for about 3 months and ended up meeting her family this weekend for the first time...

I'll check that one out.

Maybe I'll catch out out there sometime, I usually don't go to SR because it's 35min away from me though :lol:

Yeah, I stay in SJ, so I've been to SR plenty of times. Never the meets, but you always see some dope ****. Dude's just flossin.

Saw a Delorean in front of Cocola once.

Took this Pano with the wife's M8. It's so damn easy ...

View from my pad in San Juan PR.

From this pic, it looks like they did do smaller sling which is pictured on the left. I was just about to buy a Langly bag too but never pulled the trigger. Glad I didn't.

10616808_1453272118278933_536278967_n.jpg

Here is a product pic. They actually just went did an old fashion sling. Kind of looks like Lowpro.

image004-540x360.png

Looking to get a single strobe setup maybe two, but let's keep it at 1 for simplicity.

I've done so much reading and research and still feel as if I don't have a grasp on where to start.

Been looking at the Alien Bees 400/800, because they are mentioned so often and are already in my price range.

Where should I start with diffusers, if this is my only strobe for a while

Octobox, Beauty dish, umbrellas? ?

I must admit I like the look coming from large octoboxes.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

@ksteezy how do you like the einstein? I remember you were straight natural light for a while. How versatile is it?

Looking to get a single strobe setup maybe two, but let's keep it at 1 for simplicity.

I've done so much reading and research and still feel as if I don't have a grasp on where to start.

Been looking at the Alien Bees 400/800, because they are mentioned so often and are already in my price range.

Where should I start with diffusers, if this is my only strobe for a while

Octobox, Beauty dish, umbrellas? ?

I must admit I like the look coming from large octoboxes.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

@ksteezy how do you like the einstein? I remember you were straight natural light for a while. How versatile is it?

On location I shoot a single Alien Bee 800 with an Apollo Orb (it's an octabox). I like the Orb because it is constructed like an umbrella which allows me to use it on a speedlight if I wanted to. If I remember correctly, Paul C Buff modifiers have the speedrings attached and are a bit bulkier. The Orb works by the flash shooting to the back of it and then coming out the front with an optional diffusion panel.It's also built with fiberglass rods so if it falls they don't break.

I'd like to know which is suggested. Was thinking of a soft box but wonder if umbrellas are better as far as dispersing more light or what not.

Umbrellas spill light everywhere. From what I understand is that an Octobox and Softbox are they same except for the shape and the catchlights that result. Westcott's Apollo line has a strip box, several softboxes, and the octabox. I know I talk about them alot but for those that have speedlights and are considering strobes or vice versa should look into them and be more efficient with purchases.

PS. Beauty dish has more punch and a wider angle of light spread.

Last edited:
I've never even heard of a beauty dish before. I looked it up and it looks like you can't use a bracket on it with two speed lights attached to it. Unless I haven't looked deep enough.

Let's just say given that idea, which would be the better option for using two speed lights together? Or is it all a matter of preference in how I want my lighting to look? I guess I want something that is not limited to only shooting at dusk or in the dark. I know two speedlights is hardly a lot of power but I rather do that and maybe get a third rather than getting a strobe.

I've never even heard of a beauty dish before. I looked it up and it looks like you can't use a bracket on it with two speed lights attached to it. Unless I haven't looked deep enough.

Let's just say given that idea, which would be the better option for using two speed lights together? Or is it all a matter of preference in how I want my lighting to look? I guess I want something that is not limited to only shooting at dusk or in the dark. I know two speedlights is hardly a lot of power but I rather do that and maybe get a third rather than getting a strobe.

The apollo line is built like an umbrella so that method would work. I dont think they make beauty dishes that handle multiple speedlights. Why don't you want to use a strobe?

Back
Top Bottom