The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Looking to upgrade cameras soon, I have the nikon d3100 now, what do you guys think should be my next one? I really just want better image quality, thats the main priority right now. In the $800 - $1200 range.

For me no. You always want to shoot at the largest possible size. In this case, I always shoot RAW no matter what since I'm going to convert the image/images to JPEG. anyways. 
Ah that makes sense. I shoot in RAW+JPEG since I don't do much shooting anyway and I just realized that in that mode it only allows you to shoot in "Large" anyway.

*RANDOM PIC*

JUST COPPED A iPHONE 6+ SATURDAY. HAVENT REALLY PLAYED WITH THE CAMERA MUCH. SEEMS DECENT THOUGH(BUT IM SPOILED BY MY NIKON) LOL.

I SNAPPED THIS WITH THE 6+, NO EDITS.

I LIKE HOW B&H TREATS THEIR CUSTOMERS.... FREE 480PG CATALOG CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY.

I notice that a lot of you guys photos are VERY bright or overexposed IMO. Why is that? Do y'all prefer it to be over than underexposed?

I notice that a lot of you guys photos are VERY bright or overexposed IMO. Why is that? Do y'all prefer it to be over than underexposed?

Examples?

If you're talking about Rolo's work .. I would assume it's because it's a wedding. In terms of the bride, the brightness really makes the wedding gown pop for me.

I guess it's just preference. I know that I personally like my colors to pop and my blacks to be dark. There is a thin line that can be crossed and makes it not work. The more I shoot and edit the better I get with it. Once I started understanding the histogram, I was able to be a little more creative with my shots because I understand my exposure. It's like I take a shot and I'm like... ok, my blacks can come down a little bit from what I see on my histogram. It's led to me becoming more consistent with my look.

You only really need 6MP's or higher. Higher MP's give you more noise/grain as well
So if higher MPs produce more noise/grain would shooting at a smaller image size be better, especially at high ISOs?
For me no. You always want to shoot at the largest possible size. In this case, I always shoot RAW no matter what since I'm going to convert the image/images to JPEG. anyways. 

as i understand it more megapixels = more detail (as well as more noise compared to a same sized sensor with less mps) which helps if you need to crop & keep a good amount of detail...less megapixels supposedly allows the light receiving photosites of a given sensor to be larger thus take in more light (theoretically anyways, both the Sony a7s & the og htc one use(d) this approach), but very generally it is hard to put detail where it doesn't exist (for video, this is probably more advantageous)...it really wouldn't be obvious unless you're viewing pics greater than @100% or blowing up an image really big; and as noise reduction software continues to improve/get more sophisticated people might be more willing to make the trade off in low light/less noise for greater detail (I will say one of difficult things about using a super high megapixel camera is it seems you have to be much more deliberate because there is almost too much detail, it can be difficult to distinguish what is really in focus)

Last edited:
I am not a megapixal ***** but I do like more rather than less. I think overall it's a combination of things. MP, sensor, lens, etc. Like I know there is a difference now from crop to full frame. I just think full frame tends to look better when paired with the right lens. That's just an opinion anyways.

Went to Jamaica and had a hard time shooting while enjoying my vacation. Didn't get nothing stellar but I should have some more stuff later on in the day.

jamrock-1a.png
jamrock-3.png
jamrock-2.png

Great shots in the last two posts! Fong your photos are always :pimp:

Car broken into got my sony/zeiss 55mm 1.8 stolen :smh:

Gone for 5 min in daylight. Be cautious out there gentlemen.

Daym that sucks. Sorry to hear that...those Zeiss don't come cheap either.

Sorry to hear that. Man I never leave my gear in my car. I'll walk around with my pack on my side all day before I do.

Yeah it sucks, horrible timing too, happened a few days before my birthday. I usually carry everything with me but since I was doing a quick 5 min shoot and it was light out my judgement slipped.

Also, I decided to take a Photography course this year and the school was approached by Sony Canada to do a project in which I was one of 3 people selected to participate. The project revolved around Alternative Energy and was showcased at an Audio/Video expo in Toronto this past weekend. They placed the images on a huge 4K TV which was really cool. They're now posted on Sony's Facebook page and the person with the most likes gets a prize, I'm hoping its a gift card to buy a new lens haha. If you guys could vote I'd really appreciate it.

Link to Facebook page (at the bottom)

I decided to do two different sets of photos; one abstract and one staged. Everything is done in-camera, no photoshop.

Thanks NT Fam!

Last edited:
Does anyone in here use Instagram for Android? I've always thought that the app reduces the IQ of my pics but I figured it was just me being paranoid or something. After using the app for a couple years I finally decided to look into it and apparently it's a well-known issue. I remember when IG first came out for Android iOS users would claim that supporting Android would reduce the overall quality of content posted. I guess there is some truth to those claims lol. I just think it sucks that such a popular app can ignore a huge chunk of its users.

Anyone know any ways to mitigate this issue?

Looking to upgrade cameras soon, I have the nikon d3100 now, what do you guys think should be my next one? I really just want better image quality, thats the main priority right now. In the $800 - $1200 range.

You can get a D7100, D600, or D610 in that price range

I saw the D610 going for around $1300 brand new if you want that full frame sensor

But you can get the D7100 and some new glass for a little over or under that depending on your combo.

D610
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-d610-dslr-body/MTEwMjg4OQ_A_A

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-d7100-dslr-camera-body/MTAwMjQ0MQ_A_A

Pair that 7100 with the glass you already have or even a sigma 30mm and you upgraded while saving some money

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/sigma-30mm-f-1-4/MTAwMjM5NQ_A_A

Does anyone in here use Instagram for Android? I've always thought that the app reduces the IQ of my pics but I figured it was just me being paranoid or something. After using the app for a couple years I finally decided to look into it and apparently it's a well-known issue. I remember when IG first came out for Android iOS users would claim that supporting Android would reduce the overall quality of content posted. I guess there is some truth to those claims lol. I just think it sucks that such a popular app can ignore a huge chunk of its users.

Anyone know any ways to mitigate this issue?

I mean all photos on IG will downgrade their image quality to a degree. I am almost positive that it's not specific to Andriod. I don't think all of the people I follow use iPhones and most stuff I see are still quality work. You can help with the photos with sharpening it before you post it up. IG keeps having updates with all the new phones which effect the way images look in the long run. If you look at some of your older photos that were done months ago, they will now look somewhat blurry.

I mean all photos on IG will downgrade their image quality to a degree. I am almost positive that it's not specific to Andriod. I don't think all of the people I follow use iPhones and most stuff I see are still quality work. You can help with the photos with sharpening it before you post it up. IG keeps having updates with all the new phones which effect the way images look in the long run. If you look at some of your older photos that were done months ago, they will now look somewhat blurry.
Yeah, I definitely don't expect IG to improve or maintain image quality but from what I was reading this morning it seems that iOS uploads tend to be better. And what you're saying is definitely true; my older photos looks like crap compared to more recent ones. And yeah, definitely some quality Android uploads on Instagram.

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/04/instagram-6-0-still-uploads-poor-quality-photos-for-android/
Granted that article is a few months old so Instagram may have had some major updates since then. I'll have to see what I can do in terms of sharpening/processing before posting things up on IG. I just think it kinda sucks that Android users have to go through extra work to upload pictures that look as nice as iOS ones. Or maybe I'm just biased.

Thanks for the response though.

^^^That is weird. I wonder if it is just some backend issues with coding or whatever. I am not a tech guy but IG was made orginally for IOS. I wonder if Andriod just has some issues that IOS has already resolved. I swear though, at one point IG for the iPhone put up pretty clear images without really sharpening them. I notice they keep bouncing back and forth. It's pretty frustrating for the most part.

Some more photos.

jamrock-8.png
jamrock-10a.png
jamrock-6.png
jamrock-9c.png
jamrock-7.png
jamrock-11.png

Yeah, I definitely don't expect IG to improve or maintain image quality but from what I was reading this morning it seems that iOS uploads tend to be better. And what you're saying is definitely true; my older photos looks like crap compared to more recent ones. And yeah, definitely some quality Android uploads on Instagram.

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/04/instagram-6-0-still-uploads-poor-quality-photos-for-android/

Granted that article is a few months old so Instagram may have had some major updates since then. I'll have to see what I can do in terms of sharpening/processing before posting things up on IG. I just think it kinda sucks that Android users have to go through extra work to upload pictures that look as nice as iOS ones. Or maybe I'm just biased.

Thanks for the response though.

It's been proven that Instagram compresses the hell out of photos for Android users. I believe it's using the same algorithm for older Android devices.

Some people have said that disabling the HQ processing in the IG app has helped, but it's done nothing on my end.

I haven't tried this, but people say to resize the image to 640x640 (I think Android's Instagram compresses it to 618x618), THEN upload through Instagram.

Last edited:
I'm staring at the money for aD810 and everyone is telling me hold off until black friday. im a bit anxious because i dont think there is going to be any offer for a d810 that i will want to take advantage of.

Back
Top Bottom