The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Roosevelt Station in Chicago.
Crazy how close it is to the buildings ...  

break

I went for a little drive since I couldnt make it to any of the meets today and found this place. As soon as I arrived, the river was so serene, perfect reflection. When I was all set up a damn speed boat went flying through ... I lasted about an hour and the river didn't finish settling. At least I got this beauty ... I need to go back during peak foliage .....
21942004902_4d12717c93_c.jpg

You can get those Rokinon lens that are like $350. I hear it's the best bang for your buck but no auto focus.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769532-REG/Rokinon_FE14M_C_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

Thanks bro. Any suggestions for one with AF? Budget is ~1K, not sure if that is reasonable.

the bower/rokinon/samyang lenses are about as budget as you can get, actually great quality lenses; if you get a good copy (they are known for having decentering issues, especially the ultra wides 14mm for full frame) but no autofocus and no accurate/hard infinity focus stop and some pretty gnarly distortion though some can be chipped for focus confirmation...how wide are you trying to go? with a 1k budget you shouldn't have too much issue finding glass to spend it on

loosies:

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

statuesque by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have the Tamron 15-30mm. A little over your budget but good lens but just super heavy and has no filter thread. The Canon 16-35mm f/4 is a solid lens from what I hear for the price but it's an f/4. The 16-35mm f/2.8 is just not clear at all and is expensive. Check out the video below for the comparisons.

'sup fellas.

So I went out to shoot this moon the other night cuz it looked clean as hell as I was drivin' home and was hopin to catch it behind Sutro Tower, but I missed that so as I was rollin down Twin Peaks I decided to stop for a different angle only came away with this shot of the moon and wasn't even able to get the clouds to appear that were surrounding...

half moonin by ryan g, on Flickr

BUT then as I'm framing the moon, this started happening...

The City Rides the Lightning by ryan g, on Flickr

Are we still having that mirrorless vs DSLR battle? Cause I want in :lol:

Anyways, my favorite from the weekend. It's horribly out of focus, but It was hard to watch, snap a photo, hold your breath and almost die as my boy, P, pull this in for the game winner against the Eagles. I was sitting 4th row. Ah, if only it was in focus. This shot is mediocre at best. Pretty much nothing if you can't get what you want in focus.

GBRL8173.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

^^^^Car to talk about the pros and cons of shooting with the mirrorless at the game? Do you think it handled like a DSLR would or did it seem significantly worse?

^^^^Car to talk about the pros and cons of shooting with the mirrorless at the game? Do you think it handled like a DSLR would or did it seem significantly worse?

For sports and wildlife, DSLR will reign for years to come. Mirrorless image quality is there, no doubt about it. But for fast moving objects, mirrorless is barely at par or just a smidgen better than par compared to DSLR. Continuous tracking is far superior on the DSLR. DSLR's would be much quicker to autofocus on something moving quickly. The mirrorless can do it, but it has a little harder time than the DSLR and unfortunately, you might miss your shot.

Pros and cons for shooting mirrorless at the game:

Pros: Smaller, lightweight, EVF is nice. Not as "professional." I was stopped by security when first walking in. They were saying I had a professional camera probably cause I had the big ol' Fuji 50-140mm and couldn't come in with it. He reviewed his book and said never mind. Although, I checked before heading to the stadium and they said stll cameras are allowed. Didn't mention anything about professional lenses or being professional.

Cons: Not as quick focusing. Start up time is a little longer. Can't really leave the camera on like you would with a DSLR. Battery life.

Mirrorless is almost there. Just a few more years of R&D and we'll have a good mirrorless camera for sports/wildlife.

Oh yeah, and this comparison is just crop bodied DSLR compared to crop bodied mirrorless. Full frame is a whole different ball game. A lot better lol.

Are we still having that mirrorless vs DSLR battle? Cause I want in :lol:

Anyways, my favorite from the weekend. It's horribly out of focus, but It was hard to watch, snap a photo, hold your breath and almost die as my boy, P, pull this in for the game winner against the Eagles. I was sitting 4th row. Ah, if only it was in focus. This shot is mediocre at best. Pretty much nothing if you can't get what you want in focus.

GBRL8173.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

yeah, i'd imagine the guys that shoot at games have to try to do so dispassionately on some level, because getting too caught up in the game might cause them to miss shots...as for the shot, while the catch is out of focus, it only looks that way in relation to what is in focus (obviously, but it feels like the catch is in the range of acceptable sharpness for an acton shot) if you wanted to salvage it could blur/defocus/remove contrast from everything other than the catch and maybe conversely slightly sharpen pump up the contrast on the catch.

ok so before i start posting my pics i need some advice. i know with some photos i will need to adjust the exposure and others i know i can, but i dont know if i need to,

heres an example of two where i dont know if i need to fix the exposure. its black and white film straight from the scan. what do you think? do they need any editing? i feel like the second one is a little dark in the blacks, but at the same time i almost like it. i almost feel the need to fix it, but since i sort of like it im not sure lol

Back
Top Bottom