The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Haven't shot anything in a very long time it seems like, I've just been having a lot going on in my life at the moment.

djyoung08 djyoung08 I see you bro, watching your progression is really great to see keep it up.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr that's a dope shot, I always thought when it was different color backgrounds it was literally that color or they changed it in PS. I primarily only ever used W/B but that looks good I need to invest in color gels

It felt good going back home to see my people and my little girl. Picked these up I forgot these were sitting in my moms basement

Another attempt at product photography. Can't seem to not make it look like a cartoon. But shot this with gray background, red gel fill, 9 flash photos and took about 3 hours of photoshop. Can't believe it took this long to do and it doesn't look like much. Perhaps a mirror on the bottom would add a nice reflection to it.

cements-1.png

As the guys said it looks great. I think to remove that slight cartoony feel would be to crank up to sharpness to bring those details out but that may ruin what's already a great pic

As the guys said it looks great. I think to remove that slight cartoony feel would be to crank up to sharpness to bring those details out but that may ruin what's already a great pic

I think my lighting is just off and really artificial. I didn't really have any rhyme or reason when I was photoshopping it all together but in retrospect, I think I need to sell it so it looks more real. So for example, the splattered midsole on the heel area is darkened but then the sole on the bottom and the shoe panels on the top are lit and that like literally doesn't make sense at all. Even the toe area where the grey is with the stars needs to be dark and not lit. So it's just stuff like that...that makes the photo not as good as it could have been.

Also I used this tutorial as a reference for my photo. I think she shot her shoe all in one take where I had to do it in separate photos. http://www.diyphotography.net/lighting-tutorial-photograph-shoes/

gotta question for y'all fam...

i'm gettin hit up for some portrait requests and folks want to know what I would charge and I don't even know...google search for SF portrait photographers results in folks charging anywhere from $125 all the way up to $1500.

Curious as to what any of y'all that do portrait shoots charge djyoung08 djyoung08 @ksteezy @dunksrnice @bjamez20 or anyone else????

^^^^I don't know of fees either but I thought this article was interesting in the sense if you want this to become your primary job. I think the photography business is highly effected like the design industry is because there are people out there that want to do work for dirt cheap which makes the rest of the more creditable photographers look way to expensive. So don't price cheap for the sake of doing it cause you literally create a horrible price difference for those who want to actually make money off of it.

http://mcpactions.com/2009/10/12/how-should-i-price-my-photography-words-of-advice-from-jodie-otte/

i'm gettin hit up for some portrait requests and folks want to know what I would charge and I don't even know...google search for SF portrait photographers results in folks charging anywhere from $125 all the way up to $1500.

Curious as to what any of y'all that do portrait shoots charge djyoung08 djyoung08 @ksteezy @dunksrnice @bjamez20 or anyone else????

I would say it depends on your setup. If it is portrait background in a studio, that stuff is not cheap. If it is a portrait outside, you've already got the gear. I think a lot depends also as to what people are using them for. If it is a formal portrait for a job interview (needed for dancing and other stuff), then it would probably need to be more, as a certain level of quality and makeup is expected. If it is a casual portrait, and can be done outside or whatnot, not as much of a fee is needed.

Also, I would price it so that you don't loose the work. If the people like it, chances are they will refer you to others or hire you again. Once your schedule becomes busier, then you can charge more and be more selective.

Last edited:

I've only been doing paid gigs since last September.

I currently start portrait sessions (couples) at $150 and I give a huge "discount" to friends and family.

That price gets them a flash drive of all their images I've selected and edited (generally around 40) and they can choose to print however they want and what ever frequency they want.

I charge dirt cheap because I feel that my experience as a PAID photog is extremely minimal.

Ive been into photography and shooting for well over 5 years, i know my way around my camera(s).... but working with people, the business aspect, etc I'm still a rookie. So I charge dirt cheap.... for now. :evil:

I'd love to know more about other people's pricing structures.

^^^^I don't know of fees either but I thought this article was interesting in the sense if you want this to become your primary job. I think the photography business is highly effected like the design industry is because there are people out there that want to do work for dirt cheap which makes the rest of the more creditable photographers look way to expensive. So don't price cheap for the sake of doing it cause you literally create a horrible price difference for those who want to actually make money off of it.

http://mcpactions.com/2009/10/12/how-should-i-price-my-photography-words-of-advice-from-jodie-otte/

This article is great

I'd say start at $120. It's a reasonable amount. Ask for what you think you deserve not a price point where you make the most money. You can lose people being greedy but also work too hard for not enough

I recorded a music video for a guy I work with and told him that if we can complete it in one day I'd only charge him $200. Ended up with a sore back and knees after 5hrs of bending and squatting. Decided then and there I'd no longer do friend prices or reduced amounts.

But if you want to give them a deal ask them to pay what the pictures are worth.

Like design, portfolio is key to getting work. Unless your work doesn't speak volume, you really can't charge a lot for someone to use your services.

Also to cover your butt, get contracts going as well so if and when you finish a project, you would get paid what you deserve and have the paperwork to back that. If this is a business you want to explore, you have to know there will be customers that could and would create problems. Just for legal issues, I would make all customers sign paperwork so it never gets to that point where you will not get your money.

I charge dirt cheap because I feel that my experience as a PAID photog is extremely minimal.

Ive been into photography and shooting for well over 5 years, i know my way around my camera(s).... but working with people, the business aspect, etc I'm still a rookie. So I charge dirt cheap.... for now.
devil.gif

My dad refuses to charge people because he isn't at the level he wants to be at and I try to tell him to at least let them pay him what they feel the pictures are worth because he is a great photographer and he also is no longer a spring chicken

My pricing was pretty detailed and I'd have to see if I can find my old list but I know I'll be going back to about the same as you $150 for up to 2hr slot including 20 total prints and an online link to their photos.

Like design, portfolio is key to getting work. Unless your work doesn't speak volume, you really can't charge a lot for someone to use your services.

Also to cover your butt, get contracts going as well so if and when you finish a project, you would get paid what you deserve and have the paperwork to back that. If this is a business you want to explore, you have to know there will be customers that could and would create problems. Just for legal issues, I would make all customers sign paperwork so it never gets to that point where you will not get your money.
If y'all don't already have it the Shake App is a great and simple contact app

Ive been into photography and shooting for well over 5 years, i know my way around my camera(s).... but working with people, the business aspect, etc I'm still a rookie. So I charge dirt cheap.... for now. :evil:

My dad refuses to charge people because he isn't at the level he wants to be at and I try to tell him to at least let them pay him what they feel the pictures are worth because he is a great photographer and he also is no longer a spring chicken

My pricing was pretty detailed and I'd have to see if I can find my old list but I know I'll be going back to about the same as you $150 for up to 2hr slot including 20 total prints and an online link to their photos.

What site?

What site?
Lately I was using the Google Photos site since most people don't try to print photos really large the quality doesn't take much of a hit but now I am working on a PortfolioBox.net webpage that at the moment looks like cheeks because I rushed to put it together to get access to this photo book site.

Y'all can check it out HERE

Last edited:
As far as paid gigs.......my experiences...

Did several weddings last summer on location (upstate NY), as a 2nd shooter for a friend. At the time my gear wasn't up to par (I was just rocking with a T5i and SL1 lol...but I know my way around my equipment), so she broke me off $500 for each wedding and picked up the travel cost, we split the one nights in a hotel.

Ive done portrait shoots for co-workers and their kids outdoors in parks on playgrounds, and gave them all generous discounts on the condition of letting me use a picture or two for promo purposes...which they were ok with.

I did a couple of sweet sixteens recently....prior to that I had no clue what to charge. A friends wife who does maternity/kids/christenings/etc told me I should charge $300 flat for any non-wedding formal event.

Recently Ive gotten my gear up to par as I recently purchased a 70D, and have the money to pick up a 7D Mk II. A friend who just became a certified boxing referee told him he would pull some strings and get me a few gigs at some fights, so well see.\

Quick question.....A friend hit me up today. She is a new homeowner, and wants to buy 4 of my edit images to blow up and frame for her basement. I am not sure what I should charge. She said she would drop a USB off to me, and have them printed herself. What should I charge for the 4 images (FYI they are mixed color, B/W images of Washington Square Park, NYC street stuff,etc)

Last edited:
As far as paid gigs.......my experiences...

Did several weddings last summer on location (upstate NY), as a 2nd shooter for a friend. At the time my gear wasn't up to par (I was just rocking with a T5i and SL1 lol...but I know my way around my equipment), so she broke me off $500 for each wedding and picked up the travel cost, we split the one nights in a hotel.

Ive done portrait shoots for co-workers and their kids outdoors in parks on playgrounds, and gave them all generous discounts on the condition of letting me use a picture or two for promo purposes...which they were ok with.

I did a couple of sweet sixteens recently....prior to that I had no clue what to charge. A friends wife who does maternity/kids/christenings/etc told me I should charge $300 flat for any non-wedding formal event.

Recently Ive gotten my gear up to par as I recently purchased a 70D, and have the money to pick up a 7D Mk II. A friend who just became a certified boxing referee told him he would pull some strings and get me a few gigs at some fights, so well see.\

Quick question.....A friend hit me up today. She is a new homeowner, and wants to buy 4 of my edit images to blow up and frame for her basement. I am not sure what I should charge. She said she would drop a USB off to me, and have them printed herself. What should I charge for the 4 images (FYI they are mixed color, B/W images of Washington Square Park, NYC street stuff,etc)

U attach a 70-200 2.8 on that 7d mk ii and its gonna be :pimp: for boxing

idek what to charge for those prints :x

Depends on what you think they're worth, to be honest.

If you're not selling the exclusive printing rights, i guess something like $50? IDK :lol:

Back
Top Bottom