The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Interested in getting into photography as a hobby. What's a good reasonably priced ($500ish) camera for someone just starting out that still wants to snap high quality shots?

What do you guys use?

Looking into getting a Canon Rebel.

Last edited:
Interested in getting into photography as a hobby. What's a good reasonably priced ($500ish) camera for someone just starting out that still wants to snap high quality shots?

What do you guys use?

Looking into getting a Canon Rebel.

Digital cameras these days are all pretty much: "You get what you pay for", and there isn't much difference between the brands. Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus/pentax, would all be good places to start. I'd get a camera with interchangeable lenses (such as the rebel). But what I would suggest, is to go to best buy or some other camera store that allows you to try out the cameras, and see which one feels the most comfortable. All of the entry level cameras will produce similar results, and personal comfort should probably be the biggest factor (in my opinion). After you check out the cameras, go back and look online to see how they review. DPreview has pretty good unbiased results and opinions (just don't venture into the comment sections of the articles). Narrow it down to one or two, and then try to find a good deal for that specific camera.

^Do you live near Mount tam? You're always posting [emoji]128293[/emoji] from there

^

I'm down by Palo Alto, but love heading up north when I have time. So many good spots north of the Golden Gate. Going to try to hit the cypress tree tunnel in Point Reyes next week.

Phew that is a drive! I love marin also but don't have the dedication to make the 40min journey up there, especially during the weekdays when traffic is horrible.

Here's my take. Happy shooting this weekend, everyone!

Is a d700 in your range? Those are even less, around $700 for a really good condition body. I'll send you my grip that I no longer use (don't have my d700 body anymore) for free if you're interested.

That be great. D700 is slightly out of my range tho but don't let go of that grip lol

i woulda copped a d7100 and what ever lens corresponding to the genre i want to shoot for & call it a day :lol:

I have had 2 d7100s and I liked am but wanted to get a different cam

Anybody own the d500? How is the low light performance?

Torn between the D750 and D500...

seems like the newer d500 has the better specs in every way, other than being a apsc crop camera, i would guess that d500 has solid low light performance but probably not on the level of the d750, the price difference is fairly small between the two (though i'd guess you could find the d750 used for less than the d500), so if you are torn it might be good to think about what type of things you will be shooting? seems like action/sports/wildlife or shooting uhd/4k video =d500, while landscape/low light/portraiture =d750...

Anybody own the d500? How is the low light performance?

Torn between the D750 and D500...

I was going to get one for my wife/myself, and I feel like I settled on the d750. At my stage of photography, I just want the best quality image, and I don't care too much about fps or video. I feel like the d750 still gives better pictures than the d500. Now, if it was just for me, and not for my wife, I would certainly by the d500 to compliment my d810. I never did end up buying one... I just didn't make a decision. The d500 has a free Nikon grip now as well.

leaning toward the d750 for the full frame sensor alone

I feel like if I had to make a decision, I would get the D750 as well. Don't get too caught up in the specs of what the camera offers. Functionality, handling and IQ are what I would look for.

leaning toward the d750 for the full frame sensor alone

supposedly the d500 has crazy fast & accurate af, can hit 1/8000s, as well as having the advantage on fps & buffer, all things that if you need them the d750 can't do (other than the af) so it really comes down to what you need it to do?

some random stuff. i started a website. nothing serious or noteworthy. hoping to add more relevant and meaningful content in the future. for now, just to blog/document/and keep friends and family updated about my life abroad. currently living in shanghai, link in sig. however, always welcome and open to criticism. would love to get more experience and some commercial experience somehow. awesome film shots @bjamez20 ive really been thinking about acquiring a film camera. not sure where to start or what to look at yet, but accumulating more and more interest.

edit: i just watched adorama's top photographer episode that tokes posted and i was really into it. thanks for sharing! going to watch the others later.

30509993843_0585c96966_c.jpg

30509995003_3328fe4ff4_c.jpg

31202786571_1e5061cd70_c.jpg

30495699884_79b793600b_c.jpg
love these 
pimp.gif

your instagram is dope. Are all your photos taken with the same set up? What post processing do you use?

Thank You. I use to shoot with a D800, 3 primes, and an 80-200. I switched to the A7RII because I enjoy seeing the actual exposure when shooting natural light and for portability (I travel a lot). I shoot with the 24-105 98% of the time. My other lens is the Zeiss 55 but I rarely pull it out.

As far as processing I use Capture One. IMHO the raw processing of capture one is far superior to Lightroom. I typically get my picture close to where I want it in Capture One and use Photoshop to do minor clean ups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom