The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Some other shooting i did this week.

85mm f/1.6

These look great @djyoung08, loving the first shot with the 85, subject's face looks crystal clear!
I gotta ask what metering mode you used for these images?

I use whatever the default metering is -- evaluative i think.

If i was super anal, i would spot meter. But in all honesty, if my highlights arent blown out I don't worry too much about nailing the exposure in camera. I also frequently underexpose my subject just in case.

The first shot, with the 85 is about 1/3 stop higher than the second shot. I wasn't sure which exposure I liked more :lol:

Last edited:
Just checked your IG, amazing photos man. Are you french by any chance?

Wanted to ask you where specifically those two photos were taken . Je te demande parce qu'ils sont pas dans ton IG merci.

Si j'aurai un IG tu serais mon premier follow mec :tongue:

Bonne continuation

DesD1 Merci man !! C'est à Marseille au Mucem, l'architecture du musée est vraiment sympa !

mjbetch Nice moment you captured there !

KEVLAR Dope work

Got my first 4 rolls developped from my mju II, pretty happy of the results so far, used fuji 400 pro. Nice lens and the camera fits easily in any jeans/pants pocket !

32369630822_ee4d5de4fe_c.jpg

32522108635_cb674582ab_c.jpg

Catch me on ig fam https://www.instagram.com/manvsovsov/

Edit: Still haven't figured the quality problem when I upload here, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's bad...

Last edited:
^^^^Like the last two. How is the 85mm art lens? Have you shot with the Canon 85mm 1.2 and if so, how does it compare to the 85mm art?

^^^^Like the last two. How is the 85mm art lens? Have you shot with the Canon 85mm 1.2 and if so, how does it compare to the 85mm art?

Unfortunately, the only other lens I can compare it to is the Nikon 85 1.4G. It performs just as well, if not better. AF is reliable as hell. In a nutshell, I haven't taken it off my body since getting it lol. It's heavy as hell, though!

Much appreciated, love using your portfolio for inspiration. :pimp:

Thanks for sharing those awesome shots astronout, 1st and 3rd are just incredible.

Jordvnsf, way too much fade on those night shot but thats just my 2 cents.
Always appreciate your critique!

If anyone is interested my homie @dirtbagmark is hosting a public meet this Sunday. He usually has workshops all year and a couple for free but this one will be the only for free for the year. There has been 2-3 models for photographers to shoot in the past and last year's meet plenty of heads showed up. One of my portrait sets I posted earlier was from the last meet. This could even be a mini NT meet lol. I work a double on Sunday but I'm trying to get out of it so hopefully I can make it and see some of ya'll there.

Random shot of the crowd size from the last meet to give you an idea;

Last edited:
I am actually around too but man....that is definitely an NT looking meet up. Looks like everyone got out of a SneakerCon summit or something. I'll see what's up. I suck at shooting models and it would be nice to get some tips.

I'm supposed to be in Santa Cruz on Sunday, but if that falls through I might head to that meetup. Good lookin out!

Think I need to start lugging this Mamiya around more often, if for no other reason that to shoot looking through its viewfinder 
laugh.gif

I finally figured out my issue with my camera and uploading them to lightroom. Ill try to post more but heres a couple I took At the palace of arts in SF

Last edited:
I'm supposed to be in Santa Cruz on Sunday, but if that falls through I might head to that meetup. Good lookin out!

Think I need to start lugging this Mamiya around more often, if for no other reason that to shoot looking through its viewfinder :lol:

:pimp:

i wanna take the medium format plunge this year too

Hey bros, redoing my website, which I haven't touched in about 3 years, sorting the best images of 3-4 yeArs is tough **** let me know what ya think....it isn't live yet, this is the rough draft link..

http://www.elkincardonaphotography.com/oliver

Thoughts on the bio section :nerd:

I definitely like the higher res photos. I am currently looking for a wedding photographer and I can't tell you how much we hate seeing small photos in galleries when we want to see the details of things. The biggest thing I always like to see are in the blog posts. I like to see that photographers are working and show examples of their gigs and events. It gives me a real sense of what the photographer can do as well as their story telling abilities and editing. I can't tell you how many times I see a website where their portfolio photos are good but then their daily work is poor. It sort of reminds me of how I shoot. Haha. Like how I can get a decent image from a day of shooting with tons of BS shots as well. I like photographers that are good a 100% of the time.

This couple is who I would hire if I had the money. I think their shooting, editing and everything is awesome. Both are equally impressive shooters as well:

http://www.kenkienow.com/

Hey bros, redoing my website, which I haven't touched in about 3 years, sorting the best images of 3-4 yeArs is tough **** let me know what ya think....it isn't live yet, this is the rough draft link..

http://www.elkincardonaphotography.com/oliver

Thoughts on the bio section :nerd:

I definitely like the higher res photos. I am currently looking for a wedding photographer and I can't tell you how much we hate seeing small photos in galleries when we want to see the details of things. The biggest thing I always like to see are in the blog posts. I like to see that photographers are working and show examples of their gigs and events. It gives me a real sense of what the photographer can do as well as their story telling abilities and editing. I can't tell you how many times I see a website where their portfolio photos are good but then their daily work is poor. It sort of reminds me of how I shoot. Haha. Like how I can get a decent image from a day of shooting with tons of BS shots as well. I like photographers that are good a 100% of the time.

This couple is who I would hire if I had the money. I think their shooting, editing and everything is awesome. Both are equally impressive shooters as well:

http://www.kenkienow.com/

I'm striving to have a body of work like theirs... wow :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

You're going to be a hard client to impress because you're a highly skilled photographer :rofl:

I did family pictures for my mentor and have never been more nervous in my life :lol:

^^^^^^I hate to say it but I am controlled by price and quality. I LOVE photography but just don't have that liquid income to pay a crazy amount right now. What is insane is they aren't even that bad price wise. I think their start is $4K for a package and goes up. I would assume with travel (they live in San Luis Obispo) and what not, it can be up to $6K which is decent considering their body of work. If I had all the money in the world, I would get the best of it all but when you are paying for a wedding by yourself, you have to budget.

I love this guy as well. He loves contrast and shooting on the under exposed side. I think he is like $10K for a gig.

http://niravpatelphotography.com/blog/

^^^^^^I hate to say it but I am controlled by price and quality. I LOVE photography but just don't have that liquid income to pay a crazy amount right now. What is insane is they aren't even that bad price wise. I think their start is $4K for a package and goes up. I would assume with travel (they live in San Luis Obispo) and what not, it can be up to $6K which is decent considering their body of work. If I had all the money in the world, I would get the best of it all but when you are paying for a wedding by yourself, you have to budget.

I love this guy as well. He loves contrast and shooting on the under exposed side. I think he is like $10K for a gig.

I totally understand.

Wow this dude's work is phenomenal too dang.

I think a lot of both of their work has to do with the processing style they add to their images. Love it.

after looking at this site - I'm convince that I can't be a weeding photographer.  I don't mind taking a million similar picture - but to edit all of them and deliver all of them??? No way - I'm used to picking one to 3 max of a scene and moving to the next - everything above that is pointless IMHO - a client that would ask me for all of them and even paid me for all of them would drive me crazy .....

Back
Top Bottom