The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Yup I have thought about getting a yongnuo speedlite but just have been putting it off for a while. I don't really shoot at night unless it's long exposure so I wouldn't get much use out of it.

You'd be surprised. Like that last pic all I can see is the detail that is just out of reach because of the sun's position and if you had a flash we'd get a bunch more to gawk at of the front of that Lambo and the buggy next to it which looks so lovely

Oh I'm sure it would have come in handy big time in this pic. This was taken during car week where I was walking around all day and was so tired. If I had a flash at that time I probably wouldn't have brought it becuase I didn't want to carry the extra weight lol. But I do need to invest in one.

^^^Speaking of cars and flash, I am about to shoot my rental car next time I get one for fun just to see if I can do those car shoot style photos. I always wanted to try it and photo shop one to see how it would look. It seems it's like a blend of product photography and landscapes in one.

Yup I have thought about getting a yongnuo speedlite but just have been putting it off for a while. I don't really shoot at night unless it's long exposure so I wouldn't get much use out of it.

You'd be surprised. Like that last pic all I can see is the detail that is just out of reach because of the sun's position and if you had a flash we'd get a bunch more to gawk at of the front of that Lambo and the buggy next to it which looks so lovely

Oh I'm sure it would have come in handy big time in this pic. This was taken during car week where I was walking around all day and was so tired. If I had a flash at that time I probably wouldn't have brought it becuase I didn't want to carry the extra weight lol. But I do need to invest in one.

Wouldnt the flash have reflected off the car and spilled onto the asphalt if it was fired directly?

^^^Speaking of cars and flash, I am about to shoot my rental car next time I get one for fun just to see if I can do those car shoot style photos. I always wanted to try it and photo shop one to see how it would look. It seems it's like a blend of product photography and landscapes in one.

Nice! Yea I've always wanted to try and also, what Patrick does. His shots are always coming up really nice. I want to try light painting as well so I need to get an external led light.

Wouldnt the flash have reflected off the car and spilled onto the asphalt if it was fired directly?

Yea I've never used a flash before but I would probably point it upwards or something. While I was on the concept lawn I noticed journal photographers have an extra person with them to hold up one of those circular reflective things that look like a flimsy sunshade to cut out the reflections? Not sure if that's what that's used for.

Last edited:
So tempted on buying an X-Pro 2...But I know I shouldn't right now....
mean.gif

Directly yes but most flashes are flexible and may also come with a diffuser and with different power levels. depending on how close he was and how strong the flash was set it could be hardly noticable
You should look into this app Turo. It's like Airbnb for cars and you can rent, at least out here, a very nice Benz for <$100 a day. Plan on renting one for my wife and I 2nd year anniversary

Directly yes but most flashes are flexible and may also come with a diffuser and with different power levels. depending on how close he was and how strong the flash was set it could be hardly noticable

It would have to be strong enough to increase the total ambient without "touching" the surface of the reflective metal car in order for it not to be seen.

He could have also raised the shadows, total exposure and dropped the highlights (amongst other options) in Lightroom and push the edit a bit further.

IMO for the shooting situation a flash setup would have been OD for what dude was doing. Flashing reflective surfaces is really difficult to do vs. walking around shooting.

iamdef iamdef I've heard about that, if I find a smoking hot deal on something I want I might go ahead and do it. Probably going to practice on my car first so I can perfect it.

i got the nikon 85 1.8. It was less than $390 USD here in shanghai after conversion and for 1,000 less than the 1.4, i felt like it is more than capable for me at this point in time. so far, so good lol
I picked up this same exact lens 2 years ago, crazy story, I found two of them brand new at my local swapmeet asked the vender he said $150 each. I told him "I will take both of them of your hands for $200" he said "okay" kept one for myself and sold the second one for $400
pimp.gif
 that thing butter I should have kept the second one tho!!

I picked up this same exact lens 2 years ago, crazy story, I found two of them brand new at my local swapmeet asked the vender he said $150 each. I told him "I will take both of them of your hands for $200" he said "okay" kept one for myself and sold the second one for $400:pimp:  that thing butter I should have kept the second one tho!!

I remember your original post of this story......still is a pretty awesome find.

It would have to be strong enough to increase the total ambient without "touching" the surface of the reflective metal car in order for it not to be seen.

He could have also raised the shadows, total exposure and dropped the highlights (amongst other options) in Lightroom and push the edit a bit further.

IMO for the shooting situation a flash setup would have been OD for what dude was doing. Flashing reflective surfaces is really difficult to do vs. walking around shooting.
In my experience with flash it may not have to be as bright as you think since you just want a bit more detail. Also aiming the flash toward the ground more would help dissipate the light. That will require a brighter flash

A hotshoe flash wouldn't be too cumbersome to carry

A few from Hong Kong... Didn't get much time to use the camera when I was there for 2 days.

@dragicon  if you blew this up and made high quality prints of this photo i would pay good money for it... 
nerd.gif

there is a lot of good stuff in here if any of you are shopping prints i would love to take a look at them.  i am always looking to add to my art collection.

please feel free to pm me

Last edited:
why the x-pro2 & not the x-t2?
IMO, I really like the feel of the X-Pro2 than the X-t2. And I've been using a X100T for a while, so I guess I'm used to the style design and the use of the EVF.

But, I'm not closing the door on the x-t2. I may consider that camera as well.

IMO, I really like the feel of the X-Pro2 than the X-t2. And I've been using a X100T for a while, so I guess I'm used to the style design and the use of the EVF.

But, I'm not closing the door on the x-t2. I may consider that camera as well.

if you have an x100t, x-t2 might just be a better compliment, i believe it has a higher fps, does 4k video, and has the battery grip accessory...i too prefer the rangefinder aesthetic over the dslr style; just wondering if you also considered the x-t2

Last edited:
if you have an x100t, x-t2 might just be a better compliment, i believe it has a higher fps, does 4k video, and has the battery grip accessory...i too prefer the rangefinder aesthetic over the dslr style; just wondering if you also considered the x-t2
Definitely am considering the X-T2. Still torn between both, actually 
laugh.gif

I then began looking at the Nikon D750. Smh.

Back
Top Bottom